F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McKenna is locked in the WHL. Medicine Hat would have to allow it. And they’re obviously not going to do that.

When you sign in the WHL, you sign on for 4 years. Only NHL contracts can nullify that agreement. When players come back for an overage season, they have to resign for one season.
Any source for that? Does the CHL even pay him anything for him agreeing to this supposed agreement? Sounds hard to believe that a junior league could lock a player into playing in their league for a span of many years.

Yes, contracts are 4 years (for 16 year old prospects) and the Tigers would have to release him. Various transfer agreements, and legal issues would prevent him from just leaving and playing in Europe during his draft season.
What is the exact agreement that he signed?

Because it would seem the inverse should be true. He’s not getting paid by this league, yet they can decide the league he plays in. And how would transfer agreements prevent it as we aren’t talking about pro hockey here?

Why don’t any of the other junior leagues in the world lock players into amateur contracts to play in their league for a certain set of years?

Not saying it’s not true, but none of this makes any sense.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Any source for that? Does the CHL even pay him anything for him agreeing to this supposed agreement? Sounds hard to believe that a junior league could lock a player into playing in their league for a span of many years.

Because it would seem the inverse should be true. He’s not getting paid by this league, yet they can decide the league he plays in. And how would transfer agreements prevent it as we aren’t talking about pro hockey here?

Why don’t any of the other junior leagues in the world lock players into amateur contracts to play in their league for a certain set of years?

They do pay them. But it's peanuts

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

He is getting paid by the league, every player in the CHL is paid every week. Not sure the exact amount but it is somewhere between $100-$300 per week.

Once you sign in the CHL, unless your CHL team allows it, you’re locked in for 4 years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tell me again who'll come out of the blue in the next 2 years to steal #1 OA in 2026 from McKenna?

These boards, sometimes. Look at him play, there is nobody that is close to him in the 2026 draft, let alone in the 2024 and 2025 draft.
I mean, I don’t know, maybe the best player in 2008 in the world is born in July or something and we haven’t seen them in junior yet.

You are literally missing the point. Almost certainly McKenna will be the best, but how can you in any way try to estimate when you don’t know what the competition is like? Unless we’re talking about like a McDavid or someone who there might be an equivalent every 10 years there’s no way of having a good idea until we see what the January-September 15 2008 born players are like.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is getting paid by the league, every player in the CHL is paid every week. Not sure the exact amount but it is somewhere between $100-$300 per week.

Once you sign in the CHL, unless your CHL team allows it, you’re locked in for 4 years.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but any source?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I mean, I don’t know, maybe the best player in 2008 in the world is born in July or something and we haven’t seen them in junior yet.

You are literally missing the point. Almost certainly McKenna will be the best, but how can you in any way try to estimate when you don’t know what the competition is like? Unless we’re talking about like a McDavid or someone who there might be an equivalent every 10 years there’s no way of having a good idea until we see what the January-September 15 2008 born players are like.
Of course almost certainly he'll be the best. That is what I've been saying all along, but for some reason people like you always push back against that evident fact.

The kid is a Bedard-level talent, just under the McDavid/Crosby/Gretzky level of talent and hype.

Those talents are obvious, if another one existed in that draft we'd know it by know. Now you say "almost certainly" he'll be the best, but for the last few week you always said it's impossible to say he'll be number 1 because there might be some incredible talent that somehow has not emerged yet that will challenge him... Which I always said is so unlikely that it should not even be a consideration.

Now that he destroyed U18 and showed dominance against a good team like the US, some around here now seem to see the light, but it was always evident to anyone looking at how this kid plays and how he's been exponentially improving in the last few years.

Like most things in life, nothing is 100% certainty... But when you watch McKenna play only for a few minutes, you know that the odds if another like him emerging out of nowhere to challenge him is basically 0.

Even the smallest of leagues are heavily scouted nowadays... This is not the 90s where some talents could hide in Europe or in Russia.

Anyways, good that you finally agree now he is almost certainly the best player of his class.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Of course almost certainly he'll be the best. That is what I've been saying all along, but for some reason people like you always push back against that evident fact.

The kid is a Bedard-level talent, just under the McDavid/Crosby/Gretzky level of talent and hype.

Those talents are obvious, if another one existed in that draft we'd know it by know. Now you say "almost certainly" he'll be the best, but for the last few week you always said it's impossible to say he'll be number 1 because there might be some incredible talent that somehow has not emerged yet that will challenge him... Which I always said is so unlikely that it should not even be a consideration.

Now that he destroyed U18 and showed dominance against a good team like the US, some around here now seem to see the light, but it was always evident to anyone looking at how this kid plays and how he's been exponentially improving in the last few years.

Like most things in life, nothing is 100% certainty... But when you watch McKenna play only for a few minutes, you know that the odds if another like him emerging out of nowhere to challenge him is basically 0.

Even the smallest of leagues are heavily scouted nowadays... This is not the 90s where some talents could hide in Europe or in Russia.

Anyways, good that you finally agree now he is almost certainly the best player of his class.
But it's not a fact.

This is kind of the issue with what you're saying, and why this is even a debate that's being had. If you just said McKenna is the best 2007 born player in the world or he is likely the 1OA favorite once we see what the competition is like, how can anyone disagree? McKenna is a terrific prospect. One of the best in recent years.

I don't even have an issue with saying this and it not happening if it was based on a realistic estimate. Shane Wright didn't go 1OA. Everyone thought he would. But he was an ES player, had a terrific first year in the OHL, terrific U18 Worlds his U17 year. The end result was wrong, but the process of it was legitimate. The process of what you are saying is not legitimate. If you waited until we saw the start of next season and saw what the competition is like in junior, your process would be legitimate. Currently it is not.

I guess we are debating semantics, but your post was petty trying to suggest people are crazy for doubting something that realistically we can't know yet.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Pretty crazy D-2 season, over 130 points this season, in all competitions
(51+80=131) in 83 games

No idea who's the last player whom has matched those stats, though with McKenna, stats are only half his game

22-23 season : 145 points (his 14-15 year old season)
23-24 season : 131 points (his 15-16 year old season)
------------------------------------------------------------
that's close to 300 points...

Reactions: ameselare

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he can transition to center, get a little taller, and improve a little defensively, I buy into him as a potential generational player.

Tall task, but I think there's a chance.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Crosby turned 16 in August 2003 and he did 156 points in 74 games ( regular season + playoffs + U20 world junior )

Sid have been one of the best 16 years old player in history.

Mckenna is really really impressive
Crosby was probably the best 16 year old ever. These 2 are on a completely different level at age 16. Imagine McKenna putting up 40 more points this year - that was Crosby. Yeah he was 4 months older, but still its not even close. McKenna had an amazing 16 year old season (even more amazing he is a late Bday) but he was 12th in the WHL in pts. Crosby was #1 across the entire CHL.

That is why I am a bit hesitant to throw a particular label on McKenna at this time, With Sid there was no debating it, everyone agreed. The over/under for how many scoring titles or MVPs people thought he was going to win was probably 5 even by the time he was 16. Now that didn't happen mostly due to injuries but that was how good Crosby was viewed.

As good as McKenna is, do I really expect him to win multiple AR or Hart trophies? No not really. I'm not saying its not possible, and I'm not saying he won't be ab absolute superstar in the NHL. I just don't see someone who I think is head and shoulders above their peers in the same regard as Crosby or McDavid IMO. Still an absolutely amazing prospect and almost guaranteed #1 pick, and a pretty strong one at that

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If he can transition to center, get a little taller, and improve a little defensively, I buy into him as a potential generational player.

Tall task, but I think there's a chance.
Wow... you really don't like him huh. - not even these wjc-18 changed your mind?

Tigers WILL NOT change his playing position, there's no need, he is a winger, end of story.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
He floats on the ice , awesome player to watch

Hes got everything to be the next big thing just need to avoid injuries

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
1715037013868.jpeg

I personally do not agree with this but there are a fair few former NHL scouts that I’ve heard that think he’s better than Bédard at the same age and very, very close to McDavid

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
At the same age McKenna had 97 points in 61 WHL games and McDavid 66 points in 63 OHL games. Bedard 28 points in 15 WHL games while being more than half year younger. I don't know how one concludes that McDavid was the best of the lot.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
At the same age McKenna had 97 points in 61 WHL games and McDavid 66 points in 63 OHL games. Bedard 28 points in 15 WHL games while being more than half year younger. I don't know how one concludes that McDavid was the best of the lot.
No, at the same age McDavid had 99 points in the OHL, and Bedard had 100 points.

Posts like this are so frustrating, because people want to hype of this player, but are clueless of what they’re even saying.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No, at the same age McDavid had 99 points in the OHL, and Bedard had 100 points.

Posts like this are so frustrating, because people want to hype of this player, but are clueless of what they’re even saying.
McDavid was born January 13, 1997 and scored 66 points in 2012-13 when he was 15-16.

McKenna was born December 20, 2007 and scored 97 points in 2023-24 when he was 15-16.

At the U18 WJC McDavid scored 14 points and McKenna 20 points.

McKenna was 24 days older than McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad