F Filip Ekberg - Altuma, Sweden J18 (2025 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
How common is this for a 15 year old in Allsvenskan? This seems like something that doesn't happen often
It has never happened, no one has even scored a goal.

Here is everyone who has played a game in their U16 season. He is only the 6th player ever.

Unprecedented stuff.
D891FAD2-CB3C-4DAB-B368-98D1F1C7C6C4.jpeg

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sure, everyone expected a hat trick for a 15yo in Allsvenskan.
Sweden 2005 is stacked, even 2006 are not considered
I don’t think he makes the team either, but he is uber talented, as you saw today so It wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if he were included.
I actually like when countries bring along their best underagers for these tournaments. It only helps the programs going forward in my opinion, especially when there isn’t a tournament going on for that younger age group.
Game today definitely helps any chance he had.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Anyone who has seen him play more often can tell me if he is that good or can we say that this performance was a high degree of luck? Is he so far ahead of others in his age group (Frondell, Wozniak, Gastrin, Novotny)?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Anyone who has seen him play more often can tell me if he is that good or can we say that this performance was a high degree of luck? Is he so far ahead of others in his age group (Frondell, Wozniak, Gastrin, Novotny)?
That group is too strong for anybody to be far ahead of them. But I think now Ekberg is the leader

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
He definitely is ahead of the rest. I personally have so far really liked the 07s in general,(Admittedly I also overrated the 05s a bit coming into this season, while still being pretty cold on 06s). The big separator for me is the anticipation and read on the game. I actually was a bit worried that Ekberg would become one of those guys who was a great producer in junior, but maybe won't fullfill the potential he gave of when it comes to the pros(or at least the NHL). But if he stays this far ahead in development that fades a bit.

It's hard not to be very hopeful, not only because Ekberg has been become my favourite prospect to follow since Raymond at least(to be clear, my favourite, not saying he's better than Carlsson for example), and he is showing many signs of potentially being so offensively brilliant in a way that you generally don't get from swedish prospects.
He certainly has drawbacks too though. His skating is not amazing, and combined with being weak even compared to those in his own age group(it's noticeable) that could be a concern. He's so evasive and clever that he gets around it constantly(and to be clear, his skating is still good) and his reads makes him very special, but I think he needs to improve either to succeed in the NHL, especially as a center, which would be cool. That's also impossible to know now, since he is freakin 15, and even the draft is 2+ years away.

So trying to keep the excitement down until next year at least. But he sure is making it hard.

Reactions: hn777 and JotAlan

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
To add to that, I have only seen the goals and not the game(didn't even know he was playing beforehand) but great start for a kid we could potentially have high hopes for in the somewhat dissapointing swedish junior landscape) U18s could be a stretch, especially because while 05s lack international starpower, they are really stacked on "should-be 2-7rounders" and the physical aspect. U6 and u17 are very age-strict in Sweden, so he hasn't even played with the 06ers, even though he would be star on that squad, and there is literally 0 reason he should not be at the Hlinka next time at least.

Reactions: hn777

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Impressive stuff. Hope to see him in Brynäs one day, assuming they stay in the SHL... Almtuna, as his club is actually called, has previously been somewhat of a feeder team for them, no?

Sliptip

Sep 8, 2022
Impressive stuff. Hope to see him in Brynäs one day, assuming they stay in the SHL... Almtuna, as his club is actually called, has previously been somewhat of a feeder team for them, no?
Historically kind off, but I don't think that would be a factor now. He staying in Almtuna next year, is without a doubt going to be the team star in j20 as a 16 year old and get a lot of reps in Allsvenskan. And even if he is great, the likelihood of him being way so good the year after as a draft eligible to the point where the league isn't worth his time is unlikely. Pettersson was dominant in his draft year(as an older and bigger player) in Allsvenskan, but it wasn't to the point of being unreasonable. I mean, their north american peers are just playing against other kids still! Better to get a lot of icetime and dominate than low ice time and not be a superstar in SHL imo.

If we go as far as after his draft year, SHL for sure, but why would you ever go to Brynäs? They are my team, and he is the kind of player they need and never have, but it makes no sense from his perspective. Go to a top club with good structure and maximize your development. Unfortunately Brynäs is just not competing as well with the top clubs anymore, junior or senior. Amongst many things, the fact that they almost in linear fashion get worse from u16 to j18 to j20 to senior compared to their competitors says a lot about their ability to develop players. They just have a big market share and a passionate fanbase and play in a hockeytown.

And this is assuming they don't get relegated in 2 weeks

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
If we go as far as after his draft year, SHL for sure, but why would you ever go to Brynäs? They are my team, and he is the kind of player they need and never have, but it makes no sense from his perspective. Go to a top club with good structure and maximize your development. Unfortunately Brynäs is just not competing as well with the top clubs anymore, junior or senior. Amongst many things, the fact that they almost in linear fashion get worse from u16 to j18 to j20 to senior compared to their competitors says a lot about their ability to develop players. They just have a big market share and a passionate fanbase and play in a hockeytown.

And this is assuming they don't get relegated in 2 weeks
I know. There was an unhealthy dose of wishful thinking in my post. Hopefully, for Ekberg's sake, he has a long and fruitful career ahead of him on good teams that can facilitate his development.

Reactions: Sliptip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad