Confirmed with Link: (F) Dawson Mercer re-signs with NJD (3 years, $4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Mercer can easily overplay it this season. Everything he needs is to score 20-25 goals and produce 45 or more points.
Its very good for this team. ANd after that Devils will have control still. We heard about QO but it doesnt look like Mercer is "this type of a man". If he will be much better - Devils will sign him or will trade him for really something.

Like we saw many times - all this worries were waste of time.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
How many guys do that? We hear about that but good players on good teams seem to stick around.

They don’t usually take the QO, but after rejecting QO they file for player elected arbitration, which has a similar outcome - forcing a one year contract and the walk to free agency.

And when that looks like a player’s game plan, the team usually makes a trade to get value for the asset while they can.

It’s pretty much how we got Meier. He had the power to force his way out of San Jose with a one year walk to UFA status, seemed inclined to do so if SJ retained him, so they traded him for value when they could.

Reactions: My3Sons

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's easy to joke about this but to be clear - Mercer is a good player and I expect him to be much better this year. He's going to score points and that brings positive value to the team. We are better with him than we are without him, and if he gets too expensive in the future then we can easily trade him for a bucket of goodies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
They don’t usually take the QO, but after rejecting QO they file for player elected arbitration, which has a similar outcome - forcing a one year contract and the walk to free agency.

And when that looks like a player’s game plan, the team usually makes a trade to get value for the asset while they can.

It’s pretty much how we got Meier. He had the power to force his way out of San Jose with a one year walk to UFA status, seemed inclined to do so if SJ retained him, so they traded him for value when they could.
If we will trade Mercer for Mukhanadullin level prospects, Zetterlund level young player with flyer like Okhotiuk and a couple of 1-2 round picks or at least for the first round pick and Faber level prospect - we will live with it after three years.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
It's easy to joke about this but to be clear - Mercer is a good player and I expect him to be much better this year. He's going to score points and that brings positive value to the team. We are better with him than we are without him, and if he gets too expensive in the future then we can easily trade him for a bucket of goodies.
I can see three years of pushing 30-30 for Mercer. He will have his revenge!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

The pts should come just from the talent that’ll be around him. My hope is he finally actually translates the defensive tools into defensive results.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
In all seriousness, I love having Dawson on this team. It's evident that he's a great kid and his teammates love him. He works hard and has a great scoring touch. There are things he can build upon to round out his game even more that we've been talking about all offseason, specifically the physical work to win more battles and willingness to shoot. I feel really strongly that he's going to be a favorite of Keefe's in no time.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I get that alternative. But SJ wasn’t good. I’m sure if they were Meier is still there. In the last ten years how many guys on good teams have taken the one year deal whether QO or arbitration and then left? Parise and what’s his face who conspired to go to Minnesota but it doesn’t happen that often if the team is good.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_4227.jpeg

Camille the Eel

What good news to wake up to. I've been checking on this every morning for a month.

It's also a nice chunk of guaranteed cash for Mercer. He's pretty much set. 12 million dollars is a lot of cabbage even after taxes and I am sure the third year at 4 million was attractive to both parties. This is a kid from Newfoundland. If he can bank and save 6 or 7 million he's pretty much set for life even if he were to get concussed and have to hang up his skates. That's the worst case scenario for him and the best is that the sky is the limit for future contracts depending on performance.

How much is Haula being paid? 2.75. Judging this in comparison to Haula makes sense. I'd gladly pay Mercer 1.25 more than Haula. I think Mercer is a better player. There's more upside too.

Good kid in the locker room.

I really didn't buy into the talk of what a terrible season he had last year either. He had his moments. The whole team had a trash season excepting Nico. If we were going to tar him with that brush then we shouldn't have omitted the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Better Call Sal

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Frankly, this deal came in exactly where I had penciled him in at. I'm pretty sure the holdup was the 3rd year, which buys the Devils time to get the Palat contract off the books.

Hopefully, Dawson progresses and earns a huge payday at the end of this. His regression year-over-year from his rookie season is concerning to me. Maybe he takes off under new coaching.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I wonder why the deal hasn’t been announced on the team’s socials yet.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I think he will be happy he was right, he said 3.9 for 3 years was a no go, couldn't happen. Mercer is getting paid thousands of dollars more than that now, I really thought they could get it to 3.9 but I guess it's silly to doubt Jim.
Inaccurate. He said $4.7 minimum short term in arguing against my call of 3 years at $4m months ago. Nice revisionist history though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad