Confirmed with Link: (F) Dawson Mercer re-signs with NJD (3 years, $4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Inaccurate. He said $4.7 minimum short term in arguing against my call of 3 years at $4m months ago. Nice revisionist history though.

katena-sarcasm-tbv-sarcasm.gif

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
atleast its done. I really hope what were surely conversations about his poor play last year really got to him and he comes out firing this year. Dawson has the right attitude so I have faith in him.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
There really isn't any room for negotiations...there really is only 3.9 as a starting point.

3.9 is a no go for 3 years... Just too light for 3 years. 3.5/3.75 for two is ok...but that third year needs to be more like 5.5. so 2 years for 7M. But 3 years is more like 12.5....4.2 AAV....they don't have it.

The only option for the Devils is two years and two years puts themselves in a precarious situation with Nemec and Nico up and Mercer having arbitration rights...they painted themselves into a corner.

Inaccurate. He said $4.7 minimum short term in arguing against my call of 3 years at $4m months ago. Nice revisionist history though.

I didn't click your link, I hope that's alright.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

I have faith that this is the real Dawson and last season was just part of the poop burger that was the whole season’s slop fest. Keefe will get the best out of him.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And I really would like to see the pay out of that 12

Is it 3, 4 and then 5?

Still getting robbed either way but I'm curious.

Wow his salary actually drops in the 3rd year so his QO is lower. I'm a bit shocked.
That's f***ing horrific.

He seriously needs to fire his agent....what a shit job.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
And I really would like to see the pay out of that 12

Is it 3, 4 and then 5?

Still getting robbed either way but I'm curious.

That's f***ing horrific.

He seriously needs to fire his agent....what a shit job.
Looks like it’s 3, 4.75, 4.25.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
One small factor to that 3rd year might be that the CBA expires in September 2026. I remember when Sergei Fedorov signed his 5 year, 40 million dollar deal with Anaheim in 2003, he got 10 mil in Year then it dropped to 6 mil in 2004-05, and then was 8 mil for the remaining three years. It wasn't a coincidence that the 'cheaper' year was in the potential lockout season.

We'll see how quickly the cap jumps in the near future, so I wouldn't necessarily call this a bad job by Brisson.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
That's just what guys like Mercer get, though. Harley is a better player than him, and got 4M as well (for 2). Marchenko got 3.85 for 3 on a deal that'll walk him to free agency and he put up more points than Mercer last year.

Middlestadt got 5.75 but he's better (right now) a center, and buying two UFA years (I think, at least 1).

Where are the comparable contracts to claim Mercer is getting f***ed? Broberg? he plays D (and can play RD) and that's an offer sheet designed to be onerous for the Oilers. Jarvis is a better player and sold 4 RFA years.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
One small factor to that 3rd year might be that the CBA expires in September 2026. I remember when Sergei Fedorov signed his 5 year, 40 million dollar deal with Anaheim in 2003, he got 10 mil in Year then it dropped to 6 mil in 2004-05, and then was 8 mil for the remaining three years. It wasn't a coincidence that the 'cheaper' year was in the potential lockout season.

We'll see how quickly the cap jumps in the near future, so I wouldn't necessarily call this a bad job by Brisson.

September 2026 is the 2nd year of his contract... Dawson got the most expensive year in the potential lockout year.

Regardless , wouldn't the logical solution be to just do 2 years? Logistically and strategically 2 years, even at a lower price seems much smarter for Dawson.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
September 2026 is the 2nd year of his contract... Dawson got the most expensive year in the potential lockout year.

Regardless , wouldn't the logical solution be to just do 2 years? Logistically and strategically 2 years, even at a lower price seems much smaller for Dawson.

24-25: 3 mil
25-26: 4.75 mil
(CBA expires September 2026)
26-27: 4.25 mil

Three year contract potentially gives Mercer a lot of leverage on his next deal assuming he plays well since he'd be a year away from UFA assuming the CBA isn't drastically altered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad