F Cullen Potter - Green Bay Jr. Gamblers, U16 AAA (2025 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Potter accelerated his education to graduate HS a year early, he presumably wanted to play NCAA in his DY, Michigan State wouldn't bring him in this fall, Arizona State would.
Didn't see it would be this Fall.

That's kind of understandable from MSU's perspective. They have LVV waiting an extra year and he's a year older. But at the same time, losing out on Potter is big loss for them though. That's a true likely early pick. Bringing in someone like Vansaghi just because he's a few months older and bigger is stupid. Potter is two times the hockey player.

I don't know if this is beneficial for Potter. He's small and was only just starting to finally adjust to junior hockey towards the end of last season. NCAA will likely also be a big adjustment. He's very talented and I suspect at ASU he'll be fed top 6 and PP, but he could struggle his draft year. There haven't been that many playing their U18 season in the NCAA. Celebrini, Toews, Woods, Hanifin, Werenski, Poehling, Yan Kuznetov. Those are basically the only names I recognize since the turn of the century. His family is going to be paying a hefty buyout also to the NTDP, which is likely why we haven't seen this more over the years from some NTDP'ers. At the same time, if he puts up 1PPG or close to it in the NCAA, it'd put him right there for a top 5 selection, so high risk/high reward.

This is a big blow to the 2007's at the NTDP. I wonder if they'll bring in a big name who wasn't there this year to replace him. Potentially Simpson or Kevan, someone like that. Or they'll promote someone like Berchild early in the season. Because this team already wasn't a big "star power" team, and then lost probably their best offensive weapon.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Potter accelerated his education to graduate HS a year early, he presumably wanted to play NCAA in his DY, Michigan State wouldn't bring him in this fall, Arizona State would.
I didn't realize he's looking to play next season. Wow... I don't know about that one.

He's talented, but why leave NTDP early? He didn't exactly kick the doors down this year. He has plenty to gain from another year at the program.

I'll be very interested to see how next season goes if he indeed is playing NCAA. You have Matthew Wood as recent comp for a draft eligible player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, I kind of get this, but I still say cut the cord on Vansaghi or Baker instead. They probably figured those guys are 3-4 years anyway, so that was a better long-term investment than a potential 2 and done guy (maybe even 1 if he's this set on jumping ship early).

How many kids go straight from the U17’s to college? Hanifin did IIRC. Who else?
Werenski

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Didn't see it would be this Fall.

That's kind of understandable from MSU's perspective. They have LVV waiting an extra year and he's a year older. But at the same time, losing out on Potter is big loss for them though. That's a true likely early pick. Bringing in someone like Vansaghi just because he's a few months older and bigger is stupid. Potter is two times the hockey player.

I don't know if this is beneficial for Potter. He's small and was only just starting to finally adjust to junior hockey towards the end of last season. NCAA will likely also be a big adjustment. He's very talented and I suspect at ASU he'll be fed top 6 and PP, but he could struggle his draft year. There haven't been that many playing their U18 season in the NCAA. Celebrini, Toews, Woods, Hanifin, Werenski, Poehling, Yan Kuznetov. Those are basically the only names I recognize since the turn of the century. His family is going to be paying a hefty buyout also to the NTDP, which is likely why we haven't seen this more over the years from some NTDP'ers. At the same time, if he puts up 1PPG or close to it in the NCAA, it'd put him right there for a top 5 selection, so high risk/high reward.

This is a big blow to the 2007's at the NTDP. I wonder if they'll bring in a big name who wasn't there this year to replace him. Potentially Simpson or Kevan, someone like that. Or they'll promote someone like Berchild early in the season. Because this team already wasn't a big "star power" team, and then lost probably their best offensive weapon.
Some other names that they could bring in to fill the open roster spot:

Evan Jardine
Gavin Kor
Masun Fleece
Teddy Mutryn

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Some other names that they could bring in to fill the open roster spot:

Evan Jardine
Gavin Kor
Masun Fleece
Teddy Mutryn
They usually almost do like tryouts the U17 year when they bring in guys for a game or two every now and then as an injury replacement. Danny Nelson was that in his U17 year, and then stuck around way longer than most injury replacements. Became obvious that he was joining for the next year.

My guess would be Mutryn or Haeden Ellis based off the number of games they played last season, or also Niles Benson because I think he could play higher in the lineup and he was a fill in for one game last season also. I'm sure the ideal replacement is like Simpson or Kevan, but it's hard to take guys away from USHL teams that are counting on them to be stars next season.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
How many kids go straight from the U17’s to college? Hanifin did IIRC. Who else?
Werenski same year.

This is very puzzling from Potter. Who does he think he is? Macklin Celebrini? He didn't exactly dominate USHL games. Not sure why he thinks he should be playing College Hockey in his Age 17 year. Most 18 year olds aren't even ready yet for that level of play and stay in Juniors... but you do you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad