F Cole Caufield - Univ. of Wisconsin, NCAA (2019, 15th, MTL) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I would love more than anything for Cole to come in at the end of this season and make an impact, especially on the PP. I do worry about his ability to affect the game at 5-on-5 in the NHL this early though. He sure has the talent and has looked good for Wisconsin this year, but the NHL is a whole other animal. He has trouble with puck/board battles in the NCAA and his transition game isn’t there just yet. If he can come in, be a part of the system and not be too overwhelmed he could find success at the tail end of the year. But it could also be way too early. His growth towards the end of the year should hopefully give our management incentive to sign him but patience will be key with Cole. I wouldn’t mind him going back for another year at all.

Haven't followed Cole this year, how has he been 5 on 5? How has he been aside from just putting the puck in the back of the net?

Some prospects come along that have the 'it' factor. Caufield is one of those guys too me, my initial thought is I wouldn't be worried about him turning pro at the end of the year, but then again I haven't followed his progress this season.

Quinn Hughes turned pro last year & after his stint I thought he had alot of work to do defensively & would need to start in a sheltered 3rd pair PP role. But that couldn't be further from the truth, looks night & day different defensively & stepped into top 4 right away.

If Cole turns pro that brief stint could be as beneficial to him, to get a leg up learning the league like it was for Quinn. While they are totally different players playing different positions, I think Caufield has that 'it' factor aswell as a smaller player.

I guess it could be different as a winger tho. Brock Boeser went back for his 2nd year & was an impact player immediately. Maybe Cole would benefit from another year. But I do think he has that 'it' factor, if he's confident enough to play right away that tells you something.

(Sorry for Nucks refs, just trying to relate)

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Really snake-bitten tonight against Michigan State, they shot 42 pucks at John Lethemon and were shutout. Couple posts and other chances, some more desperate than others. If he keeps playing his game he'll keep scoring but in the meantime the Badgers will continue to live and die by him if they stick with this configuration and can't play a complete game defensively. Great to stack up on elite young talent but hard to say who benefits more: the team or the young talent. They have dug an almost insurmountable hole for themselves in conference play especially if they can't use the new year break to get an edge. Maybe if some guys do well at world juniors it will help them..?

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Mittelstadt indicated before the end of the Gophers season that he would be one and done
Wahlstrom after he got benched you knew he was one and done

Into week 10 right now of 22 and wisconsin has only taken 1 weekend so far.
dropped in the rankings the past 5 out of 6 weeks.

could be really early for montreal.

Completely different players. Caufield had one of the best scores in the combine and is a gym rat. I don't think you can use that word to describe Mitts now let alone 2 years ago. He also had a disappointing draft+1 season as did wahlstrom. Caufield already has more goals than either of them in half the games. Also leads his team in scoring. He'll be ready by the end of the year. Also, he plays an easier position than mittelstad which will make it easier for him to break in to the league.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Mittelstadt indicated before the end of the Gophers season that he would be one and done
Wahlstrom after he got benched you knew he was one and done

Into week 10 right now of 22 and wisconsin has only taken 1 weekend so far.
dropped in the rankings the past 5 out of 6 weeks.

could be really early for montreal.

Like how early?

End of feb?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Game over. Am I reading this right that he had 22 shot attempts tonight?
I was watching it on the side of a couple other games tonight but he got a ton of ice and seemed to be firing it a lot so while idk about 22 he certainly had more than 5-6 of what I saw alone. Major collapse by them tonight, they aren't great defensively and they don't have anything resembling consistent goaltending. Not sure if they will be able to turn things around in 2nd half

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Completely different players. Caufield had one of the best scores in the combine and is a gym rat. I don't think you can use that word to describe Mitts now let alone 2 years ago. He also had a disappointing draft+1 season as did wahlstrom. Caufield already has more goals than either of them in half the games. Also leads his team in scoring. He'll be ready by the end of the year. Also, he plays an easier position than mittelstad which will make it easier for him to break in to the league.

Never once said they were.
That was about eligibility and players turning pro.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Even with his recent struggles, Cole is still over his own pace what he set for himself before the season in goals and points.
Leads his team in goals (12), points (20), sog (79), ppg (1.11), pp g (5), first goals (2)

Leads NCAA in goals (several player tie)

Top 5 (18 years olds)

1. Caufield 20 points
2. Zegras 17 points
3. Turcotte 15 points
4. Newhook 13 points
5. Brink 12 points

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He reminds me of Mike Cammalleri

It's because of the knee-on-the-ice shot.

Cammalleri was a left shot, but I also think Caufield is a stronger skater/playmaker than people credit him.

I'd like to point out that while he scored 5 goals in 2 pretournament games, he only got one assist... Meaning not only he'll be a bust, but also an egoistical one.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

Cammalleri was a left shot, but I also think Caufield is a stronger skater/playmaker than people credit him.

I'd like to point out that while he scored 5 goals in 2 pretournament games, he only got one assist... Meaning not only he'll be a bust, but also an egoistic one.
Caufield also had one of the most undderrated pair of hands in the draft, he just barely uses them. the pucks literally stick to his blade when he does! he also control the pace of the PP when he makes little quick smart pass that opens up lane then puts himself in danger areas, His goals and positioning isn't random, he sets up most of these play to free himself for a perfect shot. it's incredible!

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa

I'd like to point out that while he scored 5 goals in 2 pretournament games, he only got one assist... Meaning not only he'll be a bust, but also an egoistical one.

Yeah that release is identical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad