F Cayden Lindstrom - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2024, 4th, CBJ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ello

Jun 12, 2018
The difference is that Lindstrom already plays like what you are hoping Sennecke turns into if he puts it all together, and he still has as much room for growth as anyone in the draft.

Stats aside, they are quite different. Lindstrom plays a fast, powerful, hard-nosed game. He’s much more polished defensively, and utilizes his physical frame much more effectively. He’s also much better at things like zone-entries, puck protection, weaving through traffic and dirty areas, and board battles. And he has a fantastic set of mitts himself, to the point where I really don’t think Sennecke has an advantage in that department, despite it being one of his standout attributes. Lindstrom’s shot is significantly better as well.

Sennecke on the other hand is extremely raw, both in terms of physicality, and decision-making and style of game. He plays a very junior style, i.e., loves to dipsy-doodle around the offensive zone on the perimeter, or will try to stick handle through 3 or 4 guys. A lot of the plays in his highlights just aren’t going to fly at the NHL level. And he doesn’t currently excel in all the other areas that Lindstrom does to make up for these deficiencies.

Lindstrom also needs to work on his decision-making, but more in the way of utilizing his teammates more and being more varied in his approach in the offensive zone. He already plays a very pro-style game and does a lot of the little things well already.

Thats the big difference between the two, imo. The Ducks are obviously betting heavily on the creativity aspect of Sennecke’s game, along with his possible physical attributes in the future, and think that will be the difference. Lindstrom’s injury undoubtedly factored into their decision as well, like it would for any team.

It remains to be seen who made the right call, obviously.
You didn’t give a single reason that Sennecke could be better lmao

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
My premise that they are very different players aside from their size, and that Lindstrom plays a much more pro-style game and does a lot of little things well that Sennecke hasn’t shown thus far? That “doesn’t hold much water”, really? Anyone who’s watched both players beyond just YouTube highlights would know that’s an accurate position.

You can argue that you think Sennecke has higher upside, you can argue that you think he’ll end up the better player, but trying to deny something that’s blatantly obvious to anyone who’s actually watched both players is ridiculous, and shows that you really don’t know what you’re talking about.
On talent and potential, he was. People talk about the unicorn thing with Sennecke, but that’s all “if he does this, if he does that” type of talk. Lindstrom was actually showing it on the ice already. The injury is concern though, big time. This is what people feared.
This is what I was responding to. The "if he does this and does that" is a weird comment when lindstrom has had a hard time staying on the ice himself. Both of these kids are dreams on projection.

Anyway, this isn't a sennecke thread, I hope lindstrom is healthy and hits his potential, he is fun to watch.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
My fear with Lidstrom has always been that he generates a lot of his points by being so physically dominant that he can fly by kids in Juniors or muscle through them, and it won’t be anywhere as easy at the next level. Sennecke has much better vision and playmaking giving him a very high upside. I’d say Lindstrom has massive upside too because of their physical traits but I seriously doubt he will ever be a high iq or playmaker in the nhl. Could be an amazing PF though.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
My fear with Lidstrom has always been that he generates a lot of his points by being so physically dominant that he can fly by kids in Juniors or muscle through them, and it won’t be anywhere as easy at the next level. Sennecke has much better vision and playmaking giving him a very high upside. I’d say Lindstrom has massive upside too because of their physical traits but I seriously doubt he will ever be a high iq or playmaker in the nhl. Could be an amazing PF though.
Yeah, same thing as with Byfield. Just overpowers with athletic profile more than anything.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My fear with Lidstrom has always been that he generates a lot of his points by being so physically dominant that he can fly by kids in Juniors or muscle through them, and it won’t be anywhere as easy at the next level.

I don't know if you've ever noticed but there are players in the NHL who are high-end because they are bigger, stronger, and faster than other NHLers.

That's how Cayden Lindstrom profiles. The margins will decrease, but he'll still be bigger, faster, and stronger in the NHL.

The physically dominant junior who struggles to carry that to the NHL is usually about 6'0 200 and not that fast.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don't know if you've ever noticed but there are players in the NHL who are high-end because they are bigger, stronger, and faster than other NHLers.

That's how Cayden Lindstrom profiles. The margins will decrease, but he'll still be bigger, faster, and stronger in the NHL.

The physically dominant junior who struggles to carry that to the NHL is usually about 6'0 200 and not that fast.
There absolutely are and there absolutely are tons of guys that fizzle out because they're Junior style of just mindlessly skating by guys doesn't work in the NHL. The ones that do well are typically the ones that can think the game well enough to round out their game and be effective in a multitude of ways. Not saying which one he will be but that's my concern.

The bar just gets so much higher in the NHL that guys need to adapt and evolve their game to have success. Same thing for Sennecke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad