F Andrew Cristall - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2023, 40th, WSH)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
You have Smith all wrong. He skates significantly better and plays significantly better defense than Cristall.

And he was chosen significantly higher (by 36 spots). The rest is subjective...my point was they were similar players and considering Smith hasn't exactly exploded this year and Cristall has, that it wouldn't be surprising if they turn out much closer as far as NHL potential goes in spite of the 36 spot difference. And I make no qualms about my long-held opinion that Smith was/is vastly overrated.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And he was chosen significantly higher (by 36 spots). The rest is subjective...my point was they were similar players and considering Smith hasn't exactly exploded this year and Cristall has, that it wouldn't be surprising if they turn out much closer as far as NHL potential goes in spite of the 36 spot difference. And I make no qualms about my long-held opinion that Smith was/is vastly overrated.
You can think what you want. Not telling you that you can’t, but he has 8 points in 6 games. He has the most points of any BC player and he’s in his first season in college hockey. How is that not exploding this season?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Smith doesn't play significantly better defense than anyone.

Skating, yeah, he's better than Cristall.
Smith’s defense is very underrated on this website. A lot of the time the NTDP players will sell out for offense in their draft year because they know offense is what gets you drafted. He’s shown his defensive ability through the years. He sold out a little for offense last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Smith’s defense is very underrated on this website. A lot of the time the NTDP players will sell out for offense in their draft year because they know offense is what gets you drafted. He’s shown his defensive ability through the years. He sold out a little for offense last season.

The games I saw last year, he was probably the single worst defensive C I've ever seen amongst high-profile draftees. Soft as butter, blowing the zone at every opportunity and Leonard was basically doing his job defensively for him as a winger.

I'm anticipating a Kent Johnson situation (and soon to be a Zegras situation) where he's pretty quickly shifted into a Gaudreau/Kane/Panarin-type highly-skilled wing in pro.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
You can think what you want. Not telling you that you can’t, but he has 8 points in 6 games. He has the most points of any BC player and he’s in his first season in college hockey. How is that not exploding this season?
Smith is 38th overall in league scoring and 1.33ppg. Cristall is 4th overall in league scoring and 2.1ppg. Although I do understand it's more complicated due to the different leagues.

For a kid that was taken 4th overall in one of the deepest drafts for high-end forwards vs the guy taken in the 2nd round....I don't know, Pavel. I guess we can slice and dice stats and personal observations to fit our views all day long. You like Smith, I don't, and never have. But neither of us have a crystal ball, so I guess time will tell. I just think they're very similar stylistically.

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Smith is 38th overall in league scoring and 1.33ppg. Cristall is 4th overall in league scoring and 2.1ppg. Although I do understand it's more complicated due to the different leagues.

For a kid that was taken 4th overall in one of the deepest drafts for high-end forwards vs the guy taken in the 2nd round....I don't know, Pavel. I guess we can slice and dice stats and personal observations to fit our views all day long. You like Smith, I don't, and never have. But neither of us have a crystal ball, so I guess time will tell. I just think they're very similar stylistically.
No bias at all from this West Kelowna resident.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Not similar players. He reminds me a lot of Mike Ribiero.
Love the Ribiero comparison. Cristall even comes with a dash of controversy - just like Ribs. But similar for both is the ingenuity and special puck skills. Both players can do things with the picks few others can do.

Marc Savard is another guy that comes to mind. Savers had pretty heavy boots at the start of his career - but did get better. But Cristall has what I believe to be special and elite vision.

Reactions: Bubbles

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
As I feared, he was being targeted every night. Today after the royals hurt him, the team allowed three goals and didn't score another one. Obviously we didn't respond with our on-ice performance.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Love the Ribiero comparison. Cristall even comes with a dash of controversy - just like Ribs. But similar for both is the ingenuity and special puck skills. Both players can do things with the picks few others can do.

Marc Savard is another guy that comes to mind. Savers had pretty heavy boots at the start of his career - but did get better. But Cristall has what I believe to be special and elite vision.

The way he skates with the puck, even the way he plays in the offensive zone reminds me of Ribiero. And you're right about that dash, it's that confidence bordering on cockiness.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I can picture him doing this.

oops-the-social-network.gif

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
So, honest question, did he not earn a team Canada tryout? Lack of size killed his shot to play internationally?

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Deng hawks should have went with the Bedard connection reminiscent of Ottawa with stutzle and peterka

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Deng hawks should have went with the Bedard connection reminiscent of Ottawa with stutzle and peterka
i don't get it, why should Cristall be in the same team with Bedard? Hawks' management said don't want player can't skate, obviously they wouldn't pick Cristall.
The Bedard&Cristall story is beautiful, but they're young, they both have new friends and teammates, if hawks picked Cristall for making Bedard happy, what would happen if Cristall doesn't suit hawks' prospect pool or doesn't figure out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad