F Adam Benák - Youngstown Phantoms, USHL (2025 Draft)

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
If he was 6'0 and everything else stayed the same, he'd probably be the number 1 pick. Even at 5'7, I don't know how you could say he's not at least a 1st round candidate on an early list whether he ultimately is or not. We'll see how the rest of his season goes. If you could put Benak in a position where he's playing off a star center who can create space for his linemates, Benak could really do some damage.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
he’s a stud - playing ushl is his goal going to
play college hockey ?
Seems likely as he wasn't selected in the CHL import draft. Doesn't mean he can't get selected and jump to the CHL next season but Youngstown is gonna have a great roster this season (quite a few drafted guys at each level and some very skilled propsects like Boumedienne, Hextall, Jardine, Morin...that's not even including Benak) and then I firmly believe being able to select his own collegiate path and spending a couple years playing top tier NCAA competition as a smaller prospect is a really smart route.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
If he was 6'0 and everything else stayed the same, he'd probably be the number 1 pick. Even at 5'7, I don't know how you could say he's not at least a 1st round candidate on an early list whether he ultimately is or not. We'll see how the rest of his season goes. If you could put Benak in a position where he's playing off a star center who can create space for his linemates, Benak could really do some damage.
One year ago after Hlinka Gretzky I heard the same things - he´s a generational prospect who should go top 10 and so on and so on. I don´t know maybe he is, he looked great at this tourney. But this tournament that´s still only playing against 16 or 17 y.o. kids and yes, Benak can absolutely destroy them for sure. But as soon as he plays against older and stronger competition we see that he isn´t the same player. So the much more important part of his development path comes now, I want to see him play against 20 y.o. and I want to see him looking great in those matchups - and then he´ll become a legit 1st rounder for me.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
One year ago after Hlinka Gretzky I heard the same things - he´s a generational prospect who should go top 10 and so on and so on. I don´t know maybe he is, he looked great at this tourney. But this tournament that´s still only playing against 16 or 17 y.o. kids and yes, Benak can absolutely destroy them for sure. But as soon as he plays against older and stronger competition we see that he isn´t the same player. So the much more important part of his development path comes now, I want to see him play against 20 y.o. and I want to see him looking great in those matchups - and then he´ll become a legit 1st rounder for me.
This was the first time I've seen him play his age group. I've always seen him playing above his age. He was an underage at last year's Hlinka. He played with men in Extraliga. I think he was playing U20 in Plzen too?

Other than this week.. I think hes always played older competition?

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
This was the first time I've seen him play his age group. I've always seen him playing above his age. He was an underage at last year's Hlinka. He played with men in Extraliga. I think he was playing U20 in Plzen too?

Other than this week.. I think hes always played older competition?
You missed my point. He´s great when he´s playing against 16 or 17 y.o. kids (this year or last year HGC). But as soon as he was playing against older competition than 17 y.o. he didn´t look that special... or was he?

But maybe Benak this summer made a next step a he´ll be dominant at NEXT LEVEL, not only against kids. That's what I want to see to believe that he can be a legit NHL player one day...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I'm not saying top 10. No one will view a 5'7 player as a foundational piece and rightfully so. Easily could be the next Stankoven or Hutson that falls too far due to their measurables though. Too early to say, but he should at least be on the 1st round radar in my opinion.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He could also grow taller. I know some say 5'7, but some listings have said 5'8. I hope Central Scouting doesn't put their foot on the scale by not inviting him to the combine. He needs the chance to prove his height to NHL teams.

If he ends up at 5'9, I think he'll go first round. There's still time for that to happen.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
You missed my point. He´s great when he´s playing against 16 or 17 y.o. kids (this year or last year HGC). But as soon as he was playing against older competition than 17 y.o. he didn´t look that special... or was he?

But maybe Benak this summer made a next step a he´ll be dominant at NEXT LEVEL, not only against kids. That's what I want to see to believe that he can be a legit NHL player one day...
Ppg at Czech U20 last year and also the year before, 18 games in Czech senior extraliga with Plzen, and 2 points (but just cause Plzen was so shit first half of the season and his teammates weren't converting the chances he created)

Sure not dominating, but he was more then capable of playing at U20 even senior level last year. We will see how he does in USHL and U20 wjc, where I think he should be this year.

Of course if he was taller he would probably be top 10 pick, but even given his size a think he should be in the 1st round.

Reactions: Czechboy

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Ppg at Czech U20 last year and also the year before, 18 games in Czech senior extraliga with Plzen, and 2 points (but just cause Plzen was so shit first half of the season and his teammates weren't converting the chances he created)

Sure not dominating, but he was more then capable of playing at U20 even senior level last year. We will see how he does in USHL and U20 wjc, where I think he should be this year.

Of course if he was taller he would probably be top 10 pick, but even given his size a think he should be in the 1st round.
People are forgetting how young he is because he’s been around for so long. He’s coming into the USHL as a 17-year-old and he’ll dominate.

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
Obviously what he did last year was pedestrian and his size is an issue, but there isn’t a better comparable to Logan Stankoven out there and we all know how he has progressed since his draft.

I think he can sneak into the first round, even at his size.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Need Schlossman, Divver, McMahon, Peters or any of the other NCAA insiders to give us some clarity on if Benak is actually eligible right away with no restrictions considering the 18 Czech league games were played (and who knows if he took money/received benefits for those games).

Again, if he was just a junior player playing as an affiliate, he should be good to go for the NCAA.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Obviously what he did last year was pedestrian and his size is an issue, but there isn’t a better comparable to Logan Stankoven out there and we all know how he has progressed since his draft.

I think he can sneak into the first round, even at his size.
I think LJ Mooney is another guy in that same Stankoven mold. Will be interesting to see which of the two gets picked higher.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
He could also grow taller. I know some say 5'7, but some listings have said 5'8. I hope Central Scouting doesn't put their foot on the scale by not inviting him to the combine. He needs the chance to prove his height to NHL teams.

If he ends up at 5'9, I think he'll go first round. There's still time for that to happen.
Wheeler just released his rankings.

Benak is 29th IIRC, and he says that he's been told Benak is 5-8.5 right now

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
4 points in the Phantoms preseason game today against Green Bay lol
Wrong! He had 5 points 1 goal and 4 assist this game and game before one assist, so 6 points in 2 games. He is going to be ranked top 5 half way through the season. If he grows to 5´11 he is easily top 3. EDIT: it was 4 points, so only 5 points per 2 games, they fixed it https://ushl.com/ht/#/game-summary/12388, he is 3rd rounder at best jkjkjk

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Preseason means nothing but hopefully this gets him into the Top 6 for regular season and some PP team. My understanding is that his team is deep and very good so he's going to have to really earn a spot in a scoring role.

I love the guy but I assume round 3 to 5 unfortunately.

Talent wise he's top 10 for me but...

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Preseason means nothing but hopefully this gets him into the Top 6 for regular season and some PP team. My understanding is that his team is deep and very good so he's going to have to really earn a spot in a scoring role.

I love the guy but I assume round 3 to 5 unfortunately.

Talent wise he's top 10 for me but...
If guys like him starts to go round 3-5 I seriously consider stop watching NHL lol, cause it will not have any real value as in skills

Will be just a league with a bunch of 2meters beasts. Boring

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
If guys like him starts to go round 3-5 I seriously consider stop watching NHL lol, cause it will not have any real value as in skills

chill Marty we are just trolling. If that was the case, Extraliga would be best ice hockey league in the world full of 170-175cm tall McDavids.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Has already started. Last year I think there was a stat that something like two defensemen shorter than 1.83 meters got drafted. Galvas is an example of this. He’s a good defensemen, but shorter than 1.83m and he doesn’t have exceptional hockey ability, only good, so not drafted.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Has already started. Last year I think there was a stat that something like two defensemen shorter than 1.83 meters got drafted. Galvas is an example of this. He’s a good defensemen, but shorter than 1.83m and he doesn’t have exceptional hockey ability, only good, so not drafted.
Galvas is going to be NHL defenseman at some point. Also Benak IS exceptional player.

Reactions: martygod12

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It's true... I've hoonestly accepted now (especially after Galvas) that Benak is not going in round 1 despite my own views about it (eg. I think he's elite).

With Galvas, he was a D man and there are not many under 6 feet. I think the 3 best D in the league are under 6 feet though.. unless I'm wrong Makar, Hughes and Fox are all 5'11? However, they are sublime and exceptional and I'm not sure Galvas has that high a ceiling.

With Benak, there is some precedence for very good NHL players under 6 feet tall.. here is a list of some (note: I'm not a huge hockeywriters fan)

I do think he has the ability to join players like this but it won't be easy. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and he goes round 1.

Reactions: martygod12

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
It's true... I've hoonestly accepted now (especially after Galvas) that Benak is not going in round 1 despite my own views about it (eg. I think he's elite).

With Galvas, he was a D man and there are not many under 6 feet. I think the 3 best D in the league are under 6 feet though.. unless I'm wrong Makar, Hughes and Fox are all 5'11? However, they are sublime and exceptional and I'm not sure Galvas has that high a ceiling.

With Benak, there is some precedence for very good NHL players under 6 feet tall.. here is a list of some (note: I'm not a huge hockeywriters fan)

I do think he has the ability to join players like this but it won't be easy. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong and he goes round 1.
None of them could be compared to Benak skill-wise except Gadreau and even then i think Benak outplays him in two way game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00