GDT: Extremely meaningful preseason game vs Nashville

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Rod also mentioned in a recent interview (don't ask me which one, I've forgotten) that Orlov only got his game together for the 2nd half of the season last year. Whether it's conditioning or whatever else, his poor 1st half did not escape Rod's attention, and I'm sure it has been discussed and an offseason plan for him put in place.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Rod also mentioned in a recent interview (don't ask me which one, I've forgotten) that Orlov only got his game together for the 2nd half of the season last year. Whether it's conditioning or whatever else, his poor 1st half did not escape Rod's attention, and I'm sure it has been discussed and an offseason plan for him put in place.
Every defenseman we've brought in has had a ~half season 'catch up' period so it is hard to read into that.

(Except tda, who wasn't expected to play hard-nose canes style d. Though i thought he was passable when he played for the most part.)

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Every defenseman we've brought in has had a ~half season 'catch up' period so it is hard to read into that.

(Except tda, who wasn't expected to play hard-nose canes style d. Though i thought he was passable when he played for the most part.)
That's just not true. There's been some adjustment required for most, but it wasn't as long as Orlov took nor were any of them even remotely as bad as he was.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
That's just not true. There's been some adjustment required for most, but it wasn't as long as Orlov took nor were any of them even remotely as bad as he was.
your memory of skjei, burns, and dougie's first half seasons here is very different than mine.

i'm not saying orlov is great. and he has looked like ass in the preseason. but he was playing really well in the latter half of last season. hopefully meaningful games and a familiar partner/not playing with the prospects will see that guy return.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Dougie was very bad defensively to start, then the broken hand made his ability to make up for his defensive issues with offense much harder and almost non existent. So much so we consider trading him, if we remember.

Skjei wasnt that bad for us. Granted skjei got only a 7 games with us and got a camp. then played some playoff games and got a 2nd training camp in a 5 month period before a full season. Also skjei wasnt being asked to pull 1st line responsibilities, unlike Dougie or Burns.

Burns struggled defensively to start but had Slavin to make up for it. Burns wasnt as spotlighted because he was contributing offensively. so the bad wasnt as bad.

Orlov had the unfortunate experience of struggling with the system while having the worst security blanket a new defender in our system has ever had, TDA. so he got to look extra bad. No Slavin or Pesce covering for Orlov unlike the 4 other guys before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad