TSN: Extensive TSN Interview with Kyle Dubas tonight.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As a general rule, I agree with you. But Gardiner might just carry such importance to us, while his reputation on the market doesn't really seem to be that great. Could be that what we get for him won't be enough to offset how much losing him will hurt our chances.

My issue with last season was that Komarov and Bozak had value, and could have seamlessly been replaced within the organization. That's a lot of value lost for not much gain.
Which I do agree with to an extent. If his reputation on the market isn't really that great, that should be helpful towards resigning him to a more cap friendly number that will hopefully "keep the band together" as it were.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
As a general rule, I agree with you. But Gardiner might just carry such importance to us, while his reputation on the market doesn't really seem to be that great. Could be that what we get for him won't be enough to offset how much losing him will hurt our chances.

My issue with last season was that Komarov and Bozak had value, and could have seamlessly been replaced within the organization. That's a lot of value lost for not much gain.

I agree on Komarov, but Bozak is trickier imo. Our center depth behind Matthews & Kadri without Bozak was pretty non-existent.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Kyle Dubas discussed the affect of bringing in John Tavares on the contracts of Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.

Dubas said some people won't be fully assured of them all staying until they announce, in time, contracts for all three players, however they planned extensively and based on their conversations with the players camps, they fully expect all to remain in Toronto long term

Weird that he says this yet Nylander is without a contract a week before camp opens. I think they thought all three would take discounts to stay but now he is getting a rude awakening with Willie and probably is starting to realize what he planned is not likely to happen

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Weird that he says this yet Nylander is without a contract a week before camp opens. I think they thought all three would take discounts to stay but now he is getting a rude awakening with Willie and probably is starting to realize what he planned is not likely to happen
Not too burst your bubble, Dubas said these contracts might not get done as quickly as people want.
Maybe what he planned will probably happen?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Not too burst your bubble, Dubas said these contracts might not get done as quickly as people want.
Maybe what he planned will probably happen?

Why would you be bursting my bubble? I’m a leafs fan. If his plan comes to life I’ll be thrilled. In reality of course he’ll say something like that but this isn’t getting it done “quickly” this is more like leaving it to the last minute.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Why would you be bursting my bubble? I’m a leafs fan. If his plan comes to life I’ll be thrilled. In reality of course he’ll say something like that but this isn’t getting it done “quickly” this is more like leaving it to the last minute.

As long he doesn't miss preseason games it's not a big deal. If he does, you have to start to question Dubas' ability to make a deal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

While it would definitely be a good thing if he were re-signed already, it isn't necessarily bad that he isn't. It's an important negotiation - with others to come soon enough - and I'm optimistic it'll get done shortly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
and what does Shanny's example have to do with the 3 kids who are rfa's ?

if he wants to base there salaries off taking a discount on speculation of what they could get as ufa's i'm sure that would be more than acceptable to MNM

and considering none of the 3 have been signed so far i'm guessing they haven't bought into the teams "we before me" definition yet
Hey man, don't shoot the messenger.

I've been critical that Dubas inexperience to this point, will be a factor in these 3 Amigo's next contracts and I also have a hard time believing Dubas "We before Me" contract philosophy is going to work or that is more a pipe dream and what he thinks he will be able convince Leafs star players to take less so the scrubs can get more. Time will tell. but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and Kyle pulls off these contract discount LT deals as he suggests.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hey man, don't shoot the messenger.

I've been critical that Dubas inexperience to this point, will be a factor in these 3 Amigo's next contracts and I also have a hard time believing Dubas "We before Me" contract philosophy is going to work or that is more a pipe dream and what he thinks he will be able convince Leafs star players to take less so the scrubs can get more. Time will tell. but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong and Kyle pulls off these contract discount LT deals as he suggests.
Thing is, your idea of a discount might not be a realistic figure. You might have already set him up for failure no matter what Nylander signs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Thing is, your idea of a discount might not be a realistic figure. You might have already set him up for failure no matter what Nylander signs.
what people consider a discount is a good question

the comparable's say he should be in the low 6's x 6 years so for me somewhere in the mid 5's x 6 yrs would be considered a good discount

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yup and without a starting goalie the Leafs would be deciding between Sparks, Pickard and McBackup right about now.

Even though Andersen does have some 5 or more plus games, he also saves the Leafs bacon on many occasions nightly, without him we might the NYI of last year and last in GA so Lou Lam will have a lasting impact of the Leafs is nothing more than dealing high picks (1st & 2nd) for Andersen.

Dubas as a much better starting point as a result.

Kyle biggest test will come in the form of getting Matthews, Marner and Nylander resigned and at what price and term. If these players buy into the Shanaplan of "We before Me" philosophy things will be OK, but if they get paid > market Leafs will be dealing with some serious cap issues going forward.

Andersen looks to be an average keeper, which is all they need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad