Value of: Expiring contracts on the Canucks at the Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Canucks have high hopes this season and on paper have a much improved roster from previous years. However, the reality is they are in the same division as Mcdavid, the defending champs Vegas and a stacked LA Kings.
Playoffs can be reachable but a lot of things would have to go their way for that to happen imo.

In a scenario where they are not in contention come the trade deadline, the Canucks have a stock pile of expiring contracts that playoff teams would be interested in acquiring for their cup run. What could be the expected return of the following players at the trade deadline.

Sam Lafferty- When traded last deadline the Leafs paid a price of around a 2nd/3rd round pick
Tyler Myers- Big, skates well, shoots right, Dman. GMs always pay up for these type of players, even if they are average.
Ian Cole- Cup Winning Vet Dman
Casey Desmith- Very servicable backup Goalie who can play a starters role for a little while in case of injury
Dakota Joshua- big body grinder
Anthony Beuavillier- buzzsaw forward who was very productive during Islander playoff runs in 20 and 21
Teddy Bleuger- Centre- PKer- cup Winner.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
VAN selling would be a worst case scenario and would not augur well for the single biggest issue facing the franchise right now which is extending Petterson. I hope for the sake of the fans it doesn’t come to that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They are probably going to be in the mix. Assume EDM, LV, and LA are in for the Pacific. COL, DAL for the Central. One of Min, Win, STL, Nas get in as #3 in the Central.

So, 3 of them plus Seattle and Van and Cal for the final 2 WC spots. Win just secured their 2024 to be UFAs. Calgary hasn't yet. So, that could drop them.

None of those UFAs to be are key guys. Beauv can be moved if Hog/Pod play well and thus Beau would be a luxury piece vs a need if neither of those 2 kids improves.

The other F are clear cut bottom 6. Unless Aman returns to claim a spot or something, I don't see them getting moved.

D, not sure what options they have internally that will be better? Barring McWard tearing it up in Abby in the first half of the season and forces his way back to the lineup in Van. Not sure I see them moving off their depth.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Lafferty isn’t valueless, but the implication is quite aggressive. If the idea is that he was worth a 2nd round pick, it needs to be noted that he had term in an era in which cheap term is valued. He’d be just a rental this time around.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
VAN selling would be a worst case scenario and would not augur well for the single biggest issue facing the franchise right now which is extending Petterson. I hope for the sake of the fans it doesn’t come to that.

LOL Pettersson isnt going anywhere. Vancouver is a top notch world class city ( especially for the rich) and hockey is first and foremost here which most players love. All this non-sense talk about waiting to see how the Canucks do this season is nothing but Contract negotiation, If the Canucks offered EP40 12mil a year for 7 years then that deal would be done by now. Pettersson has loved the Canucks since he was a kid, hes also the type of player that wants to be part of the solution and wouldnt run away from trying to build. Canuck fans should just relax and let the agent and GM do all these public negotiation tactics. Its wasted energy to try and read into it.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Sam Lafferty- When traded last deadline the Leafs paid a price of around a 2nd/3rd round pick
Totally untrue/a wild misrepresentation. Even if it was true (it's not), he much more recently returned a 5th round pick.
Tyler Myers- Big, skates well, shoots right, Dman. GMs always pay up for these type of players, even if they are average.
What if they are well below average with a huge cap hit? Sure, its easier to fit at the deadline... but I don't see Myers topping many wish lists.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Totally untrue/a wild misrepresentation. Even if it was true (it's not), he much more recently returned a 5th round pick.

What if they are well below average with a huge cap hit? Sure, its easier to fit at the deadline... but I don't see Myers topping many wish lists.

Myers is not a well below average player. He is definitely over-paid and mis-used as a top pairing shut down player in recent years but he is at worst an average player. and as I mentioned, history shows us that Right Shot Dman that can skate seems to always always be valued more than they are actually producing on the ice.

Lafferty's value can be debated. He was just traded for a 5th. but value and price is not the same during trade deadline. Price becomes waaay more and teams over-pay way more at the trade deadline than any other point of the calendar year.

I'd say Lefferty can get anywhere from a 3rd-4th at the TDL.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Myers is not a well below average player. He is definitely over-paid and mis-used as a top pairing shut down player in recent years but he is at worst an average player. and as I mentioned, history shows us that Right Shot Dman that can skate seems to always always be valued more than they are actually producing on the ice.
Klingberg (50% ret) returned a 4th + a mid prospect, Ghost returned a 3rd, Schenn returned a 3rd. I think its safe to say that his value, with retention, will fall in that range.

Myers is a solid 3rd pair D, nothing more than that though.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
LOL Pettersson isnt going anywhere. Vancouver is a top notch world class city ( especially for the rich) and hockey is first and foremost here which most players love. All this non-sense talk about waiting to see how the Canucks do this season is nothing but Contract negotiation, If the Canucks offered EP40 12mil a year for 7 years then that deal would be done by now. Pettersson has loved the Canucks since he was a kid, hes also the type of player that wants to be part of the solution and wouldnt run away from trying to build. Canuck fans should just relax and let the agent and GM do all these public negotiation tactics. Its wasted energy to try and read into it.

Conversely if he would sign for 7 or 8 years at anything remotely reasonable it would have happened already but that’s not the point. VAN is in win now mode. They aren’t selling off players. If they fall out of the playoff race completely with over month left in the season that’s not good.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Why?

Like, the season hasn’t even started yet and you are focused on dismantling the team? How about we enjoy some games first and see how it plays out? Will be plenty of time for these threads if it all goes sideways.
I'm with you @oceanchild let's see how the season goes until at least Xmas before we get into this conversation about selling.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s too early to really say. Not sure anyone brings anything significant though. Beauvillier will have interest around the league and, like it or not, so will Myers.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I'm actually hoping we keep some of them (e.g. Blueger, DeSmith, Cole, maybe Lafferty if he displaces Joshua).

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Myers at full contract would be worth nothing at the deadline.

But Myers with double retention could get the Canucks a second. Maybe a first plus depending on his season. A top 4 D who's 6'8'' who at times can play top pairing if injuries happen over a long playoff run is priceless.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Hey, OP. Can you limit yourself to one Canucks thread a fortnight? I'm a Canucks fan and I'm sick of seeing threads that don't need to be threads from you on the main board.

This is speculative and pointless at this point in time.

Reactions: Coffees

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Myers at full contract would be worth nothing at the deadline.

But Myers with double retention could get the Canucks a second. Maybe a first plus depending on his season. A top 4 D who's 6'8'' who at times can play top pairing if injuries happen over a long playoff run is priceless.
myers is more like 6'5 with an extra long neck.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Canucks have high hopes this season and on paper have a much improved roster from previous years. However, the reality is they are in the same division as Mcdavid, the defending champs Vegas and a stacked LA Kings.
Playoffs can be reachable but a lot of things would have to go their way for that to happen imo.

In a scenario where they are not in contention come the trade deadline, the Canucks have a stock pile of expiring contracts that playoff teams would be interested in acquiring for their cup run. What could be the expected return of the following players at the trade deadline.

Casey Desmith- Very servicable backup Goalie who can play a starters role for a little while in case of injury
Anthony Beuavillier- buzzsaw forward who was very productive during Islander playoff runs in 20 and 21
Sam Lafferty-4th

Tyler Myers (half retained) 3rd and next year's 7th

Ian cole- could potentially return a 1st but most likely a 2nd with either taking a bad contract back or retaining

Casey Desmith- depending on injuries and how desperate a team is to find a goalie anywhere from a 3rd to 5th

Dakota Joshua- I'd say a 3rd or 4th with a c tier prospect

Anthony beauvillier- 2nd and 4th+ round pick

Teddy blueger- 3rd and a 5th

I'd say it's possible but a lot of it depends on how they play and if they are playing well then chances are we aren't going to trade them since we'd probably be in a playoff spot so these answer truly varies.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Hey, OP. Can you limit yourself to one Canucks thread a fortnight? I'm a Canucks fan and I'm sick of seeing threads that don't need to be threads from you on the main board.

This is speculative and pointless at this point in time.
Seriously

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Like everything Vancouvers GM does, your timing is way off. Create this thread in mid February when it makes sense to discuss this.

Or do a Vancouver and try to trade an expensive, overpaid 3rd liner the day after rosters are finalized and everyone is cap compliant on opening day.

SMH.

I don’t see your new GM being all that good either. Cole and Soucy aren’t needle movers. The guy you took in round 1 seems a similar level player to the one the Avs got at pick 31.

2023 was a draft to tank for. And you were to start but closed strong for all the wrong reasons.

At best I think you’ll be picking around 13th in 2024. A ship with no discernible course.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad