Expansion Draft Possibilities....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Worth 7 mil for what? His stellar defensive play? His outstanding offensive numbers? His amazing skating ability?

For arguments sake yes he is. The fact a team like Detroit was offering a package means he would likely get that amount as a UFA. He's been a minute eater on a **** team with no other help and no stellar goaltending. I'm not even a fan of his by any means but its straight ignorance to say he couldn't get 7 mil as a UFA by several teams .. on the short term. Its the term that is that issue with his contract.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
For arguments sake yes he is. The fact a team like Detroit was offering a package means he would likely get that amount as a UFA. He's been a minute eater on a **** team with no other help and no stellar goaltending. I'm not even a fan of his by any means but its straight ignorance to say he couldn't get 7 mil as a UFA by several teams .. on the short term. Its the term that is that issue with his contract.

this year he wouldn't , other years he may have

but saying he'd get a similar contract as a ufa doesn't mean he's viewed as a 1st pair D or has value as a trade asset with a signed contract

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's been said the Leafs weren't looking to deal Phaneuf, because Babcock really likes him and wants him apart of the team.

But if that means no other teams in the leagues (when there's been multiple known to have interest in him) think he sucks, then a lot of players suck.

Hilarious Logic.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's been said the Leafs weren't looking to deal Phaneuf, because Babcock really likes him and wants him apart of the team.

But if that means no other teams in the leagues (when there's been multiple known to have interest in him) think he sucks, then a lot of players suck.

Hilarious Logic.

who are these multiple teams that had interest and were willing to offer anything of value without including worse assets because if any team had made a decent offer he'd have been traded at the t/d

you know whats hilarious logic , thinking we should keep an aging declining asset while we're at the start of rebuild

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
who are these multiple teams that had interest and were willing to offer anything of value without including worse assets because if any team had made a decent offer he'd have been traded at the t/d

you know whats hilarious logic , thinking we should keep an aging declining asset while we're at the start of rebuild

Detroit, Boston, two teams that are consistently good. LA was interested, Dallas was rumored. You can argue that LA wanted us to take Richards, but that was only due to their salary cap issues.

You're Wrong.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Hilarious Logic.

that's not how I remember it.

the only one I can really recall is the Detroit offer. (twice). which got pulled both times.. I think if there was something of significance that didn't require us retaining money, Dion would have been gone, regardless if Babcock wanted him here or not. that doesn't mean you're not right - I just don't remember the other offers.

but at any rate. in terms to this thread - I don't think it matters. we can't expose him, because he has a No Trade, and we can't trade him. (as of yet)..

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Detroit, Boston, two teams that are consistently good. LA was interested, Dallas was rumored. You can argue that LA wanted us to take Richards, but that was only due to their salary cap issues.

You're Wrong.

if a team wanted him all they had to do was make a decent offer , we were actively shopping him and weren't looking for the world in return

and no i'm not wrong , you are and you're usually wrong because all you do is spew mindless nonsense

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

You're Wrong.

oh yeah. I forgot about LA.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
if a team wanted him all they had to do was make a decent offer , we were actively shopping him and weren't looking for the world in return

and no i'm not wrong , you are and you're usually wrong because all you do is spew mindless nonsense

Detroit made a decent offer but it wasn't enough. And quite frankly i don't understand what's the urgency to trade him he's a good player in a tough situation. Besides, we need him to take some heat off Rielly and Gardiner plus we aren't in dire need of cap space for 2-3 years either so i think It's better if we keep him and mentor the youngsters until they're ready for the role

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Leafs were asking for Mantha (DET), or Toffoli/Pearson (LA) and I'm sure Pastrnak from BOS.

That's not shopping him.

We were never shopping Phaneuf. Listening? Sure.

lol. You ARE wrong though.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leafs were asking for Mantha (DET), or Toffoli/Pearson (LA) and I'm sure Pastrnak from BOS.

That's not shopping him.

We were never shopping Phaneuf. Listening? Sure.

lol. You ARE wrong though.

lol we weren't shopping Keesel either , just listening and shockingly took the first and only offer regardless of how meh the deal was

the funny thing is we never shop anyone , we just sit back while teams endlessly make offers for our players

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Detroit made a decent offer but it wasn't enough. And quite frankly i don't understand what's the urgency to trade him he's a good player in a tough situation. Besides, we need him to take some heat off Rielly and Gardiner plus we aren't in dire need of cap space for 2-3 years either so i think It's better if we keep him and mentor the youngsters until they're ready for the role

The urgency is he's a declining asset on a long term deal , if we're having a difficult time dealing him now for any type of value it'll probably be impossible to deal him 2-3 years .

Det offered a middle 6 f , a 4/5 d and a huge cap dump , that's hardly a decent offer . Also there's no need to have a 7m per security blanket who's also not bright enough to mentor anyone on a rebuilding team .

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Phaneuf may not be an elite #1, but he's a top pairing guy, and is worth 7M.

aru9Cnp.png

No, he really isn't, anymore.

I'm willing to believe a good coach can fix his absolutely god awful possession game, but he is not a top pair producer any longer.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
lol we weren't shopping Keesel either , just listening and shockingly took the first and only offer regardless of how meh the deal was

the funny thing is we never shop anyone , we just sit back while teams endlessly make offers for our players

The Kessel deal wasn't the first offer.

It was well reported that there were multiple offers from Pittsburgh before the Leafs got the deal they wanted.

Also, just because they shopped Kessel, doesn't mean they were shopping Phaneuf. It doesn't work that way.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
By the time that expansion happens we will start to be a competitive team again.

Whether or not we let him go will depend on his play these next two seasons.

So in a way it is like a compliance buyout as a backup.

if he's still a solid veteran D-man, he can become very useful on the 2nd pairing for example, if not we just get rid of him through the expansion.

His value really isn't that high though it seems with that contract, he's a good D-man but I think teams want him more in the 6m range instead of 7, we can probably get a late first and a weak prospect, but will have to take a dump contract in return(i.e detroit's 1st+pulk+dump) which is not necessarily a good thing instead of just keeping him.

if we're talking a 25-30th 1st+b prospect i'd rather just keep Dion, most likely that player wont become as good as him and Dion is still a solid veteran player.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
it was also rumored Pitt's 1st choice was to trade for Saad

there's always lots of rumors and the multiple offer you keep saying comes down to the two teams tweaking the deal because players Pitts players wouldn't waive to come here and not because we were holding out while Pitt was trying to outbid themselves

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad