Exit interviews thread

Who are the wussies Bob is referring to?

• Total voters

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
They get no extra money based on what? If you were asked to do your bosses job for 3 months would you do it without extra pay?

uh, this happens all the time in business... All the companies I've worked for do this (and I have done this multiple times with some of my employees). It's basically seeing how someone performs with more responsibility. Gives you an idea if they are an option long term.

As far as our assistant coaches go: Yes, maybe, maybe they have something like that built in their contracts, but I think that's reaching a bit. And even if it was, considering our assistant coaches resumes, I doubt it would be that much more financially honestly.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
You must be new here.
LOL. Good point.

Well I mean, all the writers do is listen to what players who are made available say to them. So what I meant was the Ducks aren’t sitting on any yet-to-be-released interviews because quotes from said interviews would have already been seen in a report somewhere. Not due to any investigative work, but rather a reporting of what was handed to them.

This is somewhat related, but I think the term exit interview gets misinterpreted. Those interviews refer to ones between each player and the organization, not the players and the media. It’s just a convenient way for the media to access some of them since they’re all there at the same time.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
uh, this happens all the time in business... All the companies I've worked for do this (and I have done this multiple times with some of my employees). It's basically seeing how someone performs with more responsibility. Gives you an idea if they are an option long term.

As far as our assistant coaches go: Yes, maybe, maybe they have something like that built in their contracts, but I think that's reaching a bit. And even if it was, considering our assistant coaches resumes, I doubt it would be that much more financially honestly.
The average assistant coach makes about 200k a year. RC. Made what, 2 mill. Even if they're making 500k your suggesting these guys are going to give up 1 5 mill pro rated for 3 months? Thats 380 grand. Are we really expecting these guys to just say, thats cool you keep that money? This isnt really normal business industry. The escalator makea much more sense. They already do it for thebplayers for AHL and NHL 2 WAY deals.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The average assistant coach makes about 200k a year. RC. Made what, 2 mill. Even if they're making 500k your suggesting these guys are going to give up 1 5 mill pro rated for 3 months? Thats 380 grand. Are we really expecting these guys to just say, thats cool you keep that money? This isnt really normal business industry. The escalator makea much more sense. They already do it for thebplayers for AHL and NHL 2 WAY deals.

Players have a union, coaches don't. You start making demands as an assistant, they just hire someone else. Assistant coaches have zero leverage other than to quit or not sign.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Being an interim NHL head coach is a great thing for a guy like Wilford to have on his resume. None of us really know exactly how their contracts work, but I’m pretty sure I would take that promotion even if it came without a pay increase. It puts your name out there more and gives you HC experience. You never know when another NHL team or a team in Europe is going to look at that and say “wow, I like the job that guy did there, let’s give him an interview”.

This is assuming the assistant coach has aspirations to become a head coach at some point, obviously. Which I’m sure not all of them do. But I’d say a lot of them do have that goal

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
A small handful might. Most don't. Absurd would be to think they all have that kind of leverage.

I don't see it needing much leverage to get that, it's an insanely reasonable ask and it's very unlikely to ever come up. I wouldn't doubt if it was just a standard part of a contract for assistants.

Also keep in mind that what Murray's been doing lately isn't the norm, most head coaches choose their assistants, so yeah, there's a good deal of leverage right there. As long as nothing ever gets too unreasonable(which this certainly isn't), there probably isn't much of a negotiation.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Murray's a bit of head scratcher on multiple accounts. But given his hostility towards RFAs who try to negotiate, I don't see Bob doing any young wannabe HC any favors. Maybe a previous NHL HC like the Walrus could pull that off.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
The head coach has just been fired. Your boss asks you to take on some responsibility to try out for a promotion for a few months. This is your chance to get promoted, which is when you will get the pay raise.

Also consider that when a new head coach is chosen, he often brings in his own guys. So your job is very much not secure. Are you going to demand a pay raise?

And say you do, and they don't want to give you a small bump (ignoring how small it would be because it's a fraction of the year). They move down the bench and ask the next guy. Someone will take it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The head coach has just been fired. Your boss asks you to take on some responsibility to try out for a promotion for a few months. This is your chance to get promoted, which is when you will get the pay raise.

Also consider that when a new head coach is chosen, he often brings in his own guys. So your job is very much not secure. Are you going to demand a pay raise?

And say you do, and they don't want to give you a small bump (ignoring how small it would be because it's a fraction of the year). They move down the bench and ask the next guy. Someone will take it.

Trying to compare it to a real world job is bad because this really isnt one, but even then, yeah guys get fairly compensated in the event of a promotion, temporary or not, all the time. I wouldn't even have to ask.

NHL teams also dont ask the next guy down the bench, they choose their guy first and foremost, interim job or not. This goes double for assistants, who are most often chosen by the coach, not any other executive. The idea that they'd fight such a reasonable request is actually funny now that I'd think about it, they'd probably just take care of the guy right away.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Murray's a bit of head scratcher on multiple accounts. But given his hostility towards RFAs who try to negotiate, I don't see Bob doing any young wannabe HC any favors. Maybe a previous NHL HC like the Walrus could pull that off.

Apples and oranges, really. There are cap and precedence implications with RFAs that don't exist with coaches, unless you think having a reputation as a team that takes care of its staff is a bad precedent to set.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Apples and oranges, really. There are cap and precedence implications with RFAs that don't exist with coaches, unless you think having a reputation as a team that takes care of its staff is a bad precedent to set.
Well now your supporting my point. Players have a CBA that dictates much of the dos and don'ts of pay. Coaches don't. A person is who he is. If you're the type to squeeze nickels and dimes with one group you'll be the same way with others.

Coaching is very much a real world job until you become a big time HC with a track record. Not unlike minor league players who only gain bargaining leverage once they hit the big time. Asking an unproven guy to show you what he can do before you reward him is pretty common business practice.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well now your supporting my point. Players have a CBA that dictates much of the dos and don'ts of pay. Coaches don't. A person is who he is. If you're the type to squeeze nickels and dimes with one group you'll be the same way with others.

Coaching is very much a real world job until you become a big time HC with a track record. Not unlike minor league players who only gain bargaining leverage once they hit the big time. Asking an unproven guy to show you what he can do before you reward him is pretty common business practice.

LOL no it absolutely is not. You can very publicly interview with a rival company in a real world job?

Also, the CBA point probably works against you. The CBA right now probably keeps salaries down, whereas coaching has no cap and has seen a recent skyrocket in salaries because of it. And take note, teams didn't fight back against that one bit, probably because it was long overdue and deserved. As long as things stay reasonable(and this very much is, something you guys refuse to acknowledge), teams have seemed very willing to accommodate their staff.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
LOL no it absolutely is not. You can very publicly interview with a rival company in a real world job?

Also, the CBA point probably works against you. The CBA right now probably keeps salaries down, whereas coaching has no cap and has seen a recent skyrocket in salaries because of it. And take note, teams didn't fight back against that one bit, probably because it was long overdue and deserved. As long as things stay reasonable(and this very much is, something you guys refuse to acknowledge), teams have seemed very willing to accommodate their staff.

I don't know what public has to do with any of this. If you're not under contract you can interview anywhere. That goes for you and me and coaches. Public? Who cares? If you're under contract and interviewing, well, that's a problem for anybody.

The point of the CBA was when you equated it to players having 2 way contracts. That's because they have a union and a CBA that dictates it. Coaches don't.

None of my point has anything to do with who deserves what. I don't begrudge anybody getting all they can. I just know that most young and upcoming coaches with HC aspirations don't have the leverage to demand a tripling of their salary if they get asked to be an interim HC during the season.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't know what public has to do with any of this. If you're not under contract you can interview anywhere. That goes for you and me and coaches. Public? Who cares? If you're under contract and interviewing, well, that's a problem for anybody.

The point of the CBA was when you equated it to players having 2 way contracts. That's because they have a union and a CBA that dictates it. Coaches don't.

None of my point has anything to do with who deserves what. I don't begrudge anybody getting all they can. I just know that most young and upcoming coaches with HC aspirations don't have the leverage to demand a tripling of their salary if they get asked to be an interim HC during the season.

It absolutely is not a problem 90% of the time for assistants. It's often encouraged. Hence the public part, they interview and it's often reported as news. In the real world you keep it as hush hush as possible.

And again, that's put in there so they can pay guys less to be in the minors. It's also not CBA mandated at all(except for entry level deals) so this is especially a bad comp.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Exactly. HE KNEW WHAT HE HAD BEFORE firing fricken Carlyle. The Samuellis sit back and let him do his thing. He has full control. Any general manager with a common sense would either trade to get better or tank to get better. If this was Toronto? Or any other Canadian organization. He would have been fired along with Carlyle.

Duck fans should be outraged with these recurring issues ever since Burke left. It’s reoccurring every flipping season. He dumps Montour which we would expect tank mode. Then ends up lighting a fuse on the team and they have an 8th overall pick.

Pick a destination where the team needs to go and stick to it please. It’s god damn frustrating just talking about it.

Your last sentence is ironic...you're the one who kept changing your mind on what the team should do, after each game was played. Your criticism of Murray's direction is as though you're talking about yourself.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad