Examples of your team almost moving up/down and for who.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Was reading the Sennecke thread and comments talking about how they couldn’t move down because other teams were interested in him as well.

Some people gave recent examples of teams not wanting to move down knowing the teams right below them were gonna grab their player, and one example of a team moving down and failing to grab their guy.

Anyways, I thought the subject was interesting so kinda want to hear more examples.

Last edited:

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I guess I’ll start.

Montreal received offers for #5 last year from both Philly and Nashville. Don’t know what the offers were, maybe fans of those team can chime in but Habs turned down both of them.

Montreal again for #5 this year received an offer from Philly that they turned down - once again don’t know what the offer was.

I’m more interested by last year if anyone knows more about it. I remember reading about Habs turning down offers but was it for Michkov or Reinbacher? And I think I remember reading about Utah were gonna grab Reinbacher at #6 so Habs couldn’t move? Could be wrong.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just some assorted ones from over the years, some aren't exactly the trade down scenarios:

1993: For better or worse, San Jose identified Viktor Kozlov as the center prospect that they badly needed. They thought they could potentially trade down and still land Kozlov while adding extra assets.

The Rangers, Nordiques, and Whalers were the primary suitors and all three teams wanted Chris Pronger. I'm not 100% sure what the Rangers were offering but their own 1st rounder (8th overall) was too late to get Kozlov.

Quebec initially offered something centered around Mike Ricci and 10th overall. But like the Rangers offer, the pick was too late as Kozlov wasn't expected to slide past Hartford at #6.

So in the end, San Jose traded down with Hartford. But the interesting rumor is that Quebec offered the rights to Peter Forsberg just as the draft was about to start. Sharks co-GM Dean Lombardi fumed to the press afterwards, basically implying that he would have done the trade contingent on Forsberg signing.

But since Quebec waited to the last minute, San Jose had no time to talk to his agent. The problem was that CBA allowed certain unsigned European draft picks to sign (Group IV) offer sheets. The previous summer, Calgary signed Teemu Selanne (3 x 400K, 1.5 mil signing bonus) to an offer sheet that Winnipeg begrudgingly matched; Unlike Group II RFAs, there was no compensation if you didn't match a Group IV offer.

There were rumors that teams were ready to offer Forsberg a 4-5 million dollar signing bonus when he became an RFA a week after that draft.

1994: I wish I could find the footage, but I remember seeing a 2008 draft floor video where somebody (probably Jim Nill) was mic'd up at the Detroit table. Detroit was picking #30 and New Jersey traded down a couple times. The Detroit guy blurted out something like "They better not be after our guy. Remember when they stole Souray from us?"

After watching the video I looked it up and Detroit was picking #75 in 1994. New Jersey traded up from #77 to #71 to take Souray.

1998: I recall from a podcast a few years back where (former Dallas scout) Craig Button said Simon Gagne was their target at #27. But Gagne was taken at #22. Dallas' next target was Jiri Fischer and the scouts implored GM Bob Gainey to trade up but he couldn't get a deal done (or he thought Fischer would be there at #27). Detroit took Fischer #25 and Dallas pivoted and moved #27 to New Jersey for #39 and #57. Devils ended up with Scott Gomez, Dallas got Tyler Bouck and John Erskine.

1999: Brian Burke eventually landed both Sedins at this draft. Years later, Burke would admit that he tried to get the first three picks since he wanted Patrik Stefan too. Burke couldn't remember exactly what he was offering but he conceded there was little chance that he convince Atlanta to punt on its inaugural draft pick.

2004: Detroit apparently had earmarked pick #97 for Alexander Edler. Their well-regarded scout Hakan Andersson wanted to get another look at Edler late in the season. But he didn't want to make the long drive if Edler wasn't playing, so he called either the coach or GM of Edler's club. Unfortunately Andersson's interest in Edler spread and Vancouver traded for #91 and took Edler on draft day.

2005: Columbus had pick #6 and turned down #12, #35, and another late pick from San Jose. Columbus didn't want to move because they hoped that one of Gilbert Brule or Anze Kopitar would be available at #6. To their surprise, both were available and they unfortunately chose incorrectly. San Jose would trade #12 and #49 for #8 to get Devin Setoguchi.

2006: Boston offered #5 and #37 to Washington for #4. Caps wouldn't do it unless Boston disclosed who they were targeting. When the B's rep said "The Swede" aka Nicklas Backstrom, the Caps quickly declined.

Carolina apparently offered the rights to Jack Johnson for the 2nd overall pick but new Pens GM Ray Shero eventually declined. In the book Future Greats and Heartbreaks, Columbus GM Doug MacLean said Pittsburgh kicked the tires about trading #2 to them for something centered around #6 and Columbus' 2007 1st. Columbus was already tabbed to host the 2007 Draft, so they didn't love the idea of hosting the draft without their 1st, especially if the pick was high.

2007: St. Louis badly wanted Jakub Voracek. There was video of them offering #9 and #24 to Edmonton for #6. But there was a perceived tier drop after #6/7, so Edmonton declined.

It wasn't on video, but I can only assume that St. Louis made a similar offer to LA for #4. The Kings went off the board and took Thomas Hickey. After the draft, Kings GM Dean Lombardi told reporters that they had looked into trading down but they couldn't make it work. There was a rumor that Boston wanted Hickey at #8, so perhaps that's why LA would have had trepidation about dropping to #9.

St. Louis would pivot and trade #9 to San Jose. Apparently Florida was all set to take Logan Couture at #10. Sharks GM Doug Wilson has close ties with his former junior club (Ottawa 67s) and that happened to be where Couture was playing. So San Jose apparently knew they had to get ahead of Florida to get Couture.

2008: I don't know if it was ever disclosed, but I remember on the draft broadcast that Bob McKenzie said LA received a credible offer for the 2nd overall pick. It was serious enough where Kings GM Dean Lombardi approached ownership and said something like "If we do this trade, we can make the playoffs this year. But if you're okay with enduring the rebuild, we'll keep the pick."

2009: Toronto was dangling Tomas Kaberle to Atlanta / LA for picks #4 / #5 but the fish refused the bait.

One amusing story from former Kings AGM Mike Futa was that they knew how badly the Coyotes wanted Oliver Ekman-Larsson with pick #6. Since the tables were ordered, LA thought it would be an amusing gag to accidentally on purpose flash the Kings Ekman-Larsson jersey that they had. They said the Coyotes table looked pissed and the Kings people were like "just kidding, we're taking Schenn."

There was draft floor video of Ottawa GM Bryan Murray approaching Toronto GM Brian Burke about trading #7 for #9 and a pick. But that went nowhere quick when Murray said they were targeting Nazem Kadri.

I forget which Kings blogger relayed this story, but apparently their table was begging Lombardi to trade up for Ryan O'Reilly. But Lombardi was unwilling to use #35 to trade up as they didn't want to lose Kyle Clifford.

2012: Garth Snow channeled his inner Mike Ditka and offered up his entire draft to move up from #4 to #2 for Ryan Murray. Columbus turned it down since they wanted Murray themselves.

2013: Since they already had Duchene/O'Reilly, some thought that Seth Jones would be a better fit for Colorado than another center in Nathan MacKinnon. Florida apparently offered #2 and a young Dmitri Kulikov for #1, but Colorado declined.

2014: Draft was in Philadelphia and the Flyers wanted to make a big splash. Florida was open to offers for the #1 pick. Philly offered something like Brayden Schenn, Vinny Lecavalier, and pick #17 but Florida GM Dale Tallon insisted Wayne Simmonds had to be included.

2015: Columbus had a draft table video which had some interesting discussions. Toronto was prepping a trade down scenario in case their guy (Marner) wasn't available at #4. Toronto wanted #8, #34, #38, and #58.

Columbus thought about it as they had a slight preference of Noah Hanifin over Zach Werenski. But GM Jarmo Kekalainen seemed to prefer Werenski + 3 picks. I forget where I read it, but I believe the Leafs hypothetical trade down target was Matt Barzal. The two clubs would link up later in the round when Toronto traded #29 to Columbus for #34 and #68.

On the clock, the Devils offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, and #129. Columbus turned it down since Hanifin was off the board and they didn't think Philadelphia was taking Werenski.

Boston apparently offered impending RFA Dougie Hamilton to Arizona for the 3rd overall pick; Boston wanted local kid Noah Hanfin. Coyotes GM Don Maloney countered with their 2016 1st instead. Boston eventually dealt Hamilton to Calgary on draft day for #15, #45, and #52.

San Jose had something on the table with Tomas Hertl and pick #9 to San Jose for T.J. Oshie and Kevin Shattenkirk. But the Sharks decided to keep the pick for Timo Meier.

2016: Apparently there was a three way deal close where Columbus-Edmonton-Calgary would shuffle picks. Columbus would move down from #3 to #4 where they'd take Pierre-Luc Dubois. Edmonton would move from #4 to #6 to take Mikhail Sergachev. Not 100% sure if Calgary was targeting Jesse Puljujarvi or Matthew Tkachuk. Allegedly Edmonton got cold feet as they didn't like the optics of allowing Calgary to move up.

Separately Edmonton was offered Ryan McDonagh for #4 and the Rangers were targeting Clayton Keller. Montreal offered P.K. Subban to Vancouver for #5 contingent on Dubois being available.

2017: Vegas wanted to make a splash in its first draft and walk out with Nolan Patrick; Patrick had a history with assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon who had drafted him in the WHL.

Apparently the Devils were willing to move down from #1 to #3 since they knew at least one of Nico Hischier or Cale Makar would be there if Patrick was going #1.

Vegas tried to move up from #6 to #3, but Dallas was unwilling to budge. Dallas also turned down #7 and #21 from the Rangers; I think the Rangers were targeting Elias Pettersson.

2019: Montreal had some draft table footage. I recall them turning down #15 for #17 (plus a third?).

I believe LA offered #33 and a 7th to Ottawa for #32, but the Sens didn't want to gamble that they were targeting different guys.

2020: It was reported that LA made a couple attempts to swap #2 for #1 with the Rangers. I don't recall seeing any precise details on that one.

Buffalo had some draft room footage of them fielding calls on #8. Not sure if it was misleading editing, but it seemed like Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald called about moving up (from #18).

2023: Draft was in Nashville and Barry Trotz was about to take over as GM. They tried to get into the top 4 for one of the centers but nobody was willing to trade back. I think the offer was some combination of Yaroslav Askarov, #15, and #24.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
It was rumored that the Pens were close to moving up to draft Tarasenko at 16 in 2010. They wanted to do a pick swap with 20 but Ottawa wanted a D prospect and offered the pick for Simon Despres. Shero balked and St Louis offered Rundblad.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Just some assorted ones from over the years, some aren't exactly the trade down scenarios:

1993: For better or worse, San Jose identified Viktor Kozlov as the center prospect that they badly needed. They thought they could potentially trade down and still land Kozlov while adding extra assets.

The Rangers, Nordiques, and Whalers were the primary suitors and all three teams wanted Chris Pronger. I'm not 100% sure what the Rangers were offering but their own 1st rounder (8th overall) was too late to get Kozlov.

Quebec initially offered something centered around Mike Ricci and 10th overall. But like the Rangers offer, the pick was too late as Kozlov wasn't expected to slide past Hartford at #6.

So in the end, San Jose traded down with Hartford. But the interesting rumor is that Quebec offered the rights to Peter Forsberg just as the draft was about to start. Sharks co-GM Dean Lombardi fumed to the press afterwards, basically implying that he would have done the trade contingent on Forsberg signing.

But since Quebec waited to the last minute, San Jose had no time to talk to his agent. The problem was that CBA allowed certain unsigned European draft picks to sign (Group IV) offer sheets. The previous summer, Calgary signed Teemu Selanne (3 x 400K, 1.5 mil signing bonus) to an offer sheet that Winnipeg begrudgingly matched; Unlike Group II RFAs, there was no compensation if you didn't match a Group IV offer.

There were rumors that teams were ready to offer Forsberg a 4-5 million dollar signing bonus when he became an RFA a week after that draft.

1994: I wish I could find the footage, but I remember seeing a 2008 draft floor video where somebody (probably Jim Nill) was mic'd up at the Detroit table. Detroit was picking #30 and New Jersey traded down a couple times. The Detroit guy blurted out something like "They better not be after our guy. Remember when they stole Souray from us?"

After watching the video I looked it up and Detroit was picking #75 in 1994. New Jersey traded up from #77 to #71 to take Souray.

1998: I recall from a podcast a few years back where (former Dallas scout) Craig Button said Simon Gagne was their target at #27. But Gagne was taken at #22. Dallas' next target was Jiri Fischer and the scouts implored GM Bob Gainey to trade up but he couldn't get a deal done (or he thought Fischer would be there at #27). Detroit took Fischer #25 and Dallas pivoted and moved #27 to New Jersey for #39 and #57. Devils ended up with Scott Gomez, Dallas got Tyler Bouck and John Erskine.

1999: Brian Burke eventually landed both Sedins at this draft. Years later, Burke would admit that he tried to get the first three picks since he wanted Patrik Stefan too. Burke couldn't remember exactly what he was offering but he conceded there was little chance that he convince Atlanta to punt on its inaugural draft pick.

2004: Detroit apparently had earmarked pick #97 for Alexander Edler. Their well-regarded scout Hakan Andersson wanted to get another look at Edler late in the season. But he didn't want to make the long drive if Edler wasn't playing, so he called either the coach or GM of Edler's club. Unfortunately Andersson's interest in Edler spread and Vancouver traded for #91 and took Edler on draft day.

2005: Columbus had pick #6 and turned down #12, #35, and another late pick from San Jose. Columbus didn't want to move because they hoped that one of Gilbert Brule or Anze Kopitar would be available at #6. To their surprise, both were available and they unfortunately chose incorrectly. San Jose would trade #12 and #49 for #8 to get Devin Setoguchi.

2006: Boston offered #5 and #37 to Washington for #4. Caps wouldn't do it unless Boston disclosed who they were targeting. When the B's rep said "The Swede" aka Nicklas Backstrom, the Caps quickly declined.

Carolina apparently offered the rights to Jack Johnson for the 2nd overall pick but new Pens GM Ray Shero eventually declined. In the book Future Greats and Heartbreaks, Columbus GM Doug MacLean said Pittsburgh kicked the tires about trading #2 to them for something centered around #6 and Columbus' 2007 1st. Columbus was already tabbed to host the 2007 Draft, so they didn't love the idea of hosting the draft without their 1st, especially if the pick was high.

2007: St. Louis badly wanted Jakub Voracek. There was video of them offering #9 and #24 to Edmonton for #6. But there was a perceived tier drop after #6/7, so Edmonton declined.

It wasn't on video, but I can only assume that St. Louis made a similar offer to LA for #4. The Kings went off the board and took Thomas Hickey. After the draft, Kings GM Dean Lombardi told reporters that they had looked into trading down but they couldn't make it work. There was a rumor that Boston wanted Hickey at #8, so perhaps that's why LA would have had trepidation about dropping to #9.

St. Louis would pivot and trade #9 to San Jose. Apparently Florida was all set to take Logan Couture at #10. Sharks GM Doug Wilson has close ties with his former junior club (Ottawa 67s) and that happened to be where Couture was playing. So San Jose apparently knew they had to get ahead of Florida to get Couture.

2008: I don't know if it was ever disclosed, but I remember on the draft broadcast that Bob McKenzie said LA received a credible offer for the 2nd overall pick. It was serious enough where Kings GM Dean Lombardi approached ownership and said something like "If we do this trade, we can make the playoffs this year. But if you're okay with enduring the rebuild, we'll keep the pick."

2009: Toronto was dangling Tomas Kaberle to Atlanta / LA for picks #4 / #5 but the fish refused the bait.

One amusing story from former Kings AGM Mike Futa was that they knew how badly the Coyotes wanted Oliver Ekman-Larsson with pick #6. Since the tables were ordered, LA thought it would be an amusing gag to accidentally on purpose flash the Kings Ekman-Larsson jersey that they had. They said the Coyotes table looked pissed and the Kings people were like "just kidding, we're taking Schenn."

There was draft floor video of Ottawa GM Bryan Murray approaching Toronto GM Brian Burke about trading #7 for #9 and a pick. But that went nowhere quick when Murray said they were targeting Nazem Kadri.

I forget which Kings blogger relayed this story, but apparently their table was begging Lombardi to trade up for Ryan O'Reilly. But Lombardi was unwilling to use #35 to trade up as they didn't want to lose Kyle Clifford.

2012: Garth Snow channeled his inner Mike Ditka and offered up his entire draft to move up from #4 to #2 for Ryan Murray. Columbus turned it down since they wanted Murray themselves.

2013: Since they already had Duchene/O'Reilly, some thought that Seth Jones would be a better fit for Colorado than another center in Nathan MacKinnon. Florida apparently offered #2 and a young Dmitri Kulikov for #1, but Colorado declined.

2014: Draft was in Philadelphia and the Flyers wanted to make a big splash. Florida was open to offers for the #1 pick. Philly offered something like Brayden Schenn, Vinny Lecavalier, and pick #17 but Florida GM Dale Tallon insisted Wayne Simmonds had to be included.

2015: Columbus had a draft table video which had some interesting discussions. Toronto was prepping a trade down scenario in case their guy (Marner) wasn't available at #4. Toronto wanted #8, #34, #38, and #58.

Columbus thought about it as they had a slight preference of Noah Hanifin over Zach Werenski. But GM Jarmo Kekalainen seemed to prefer Werenski + 3 picks. I forget where I read it, but I believe the Leafs hypothetical trade down target was Matt Barzal. The two clubs would link up later in the round when Toronto traded #29 to Columbus for #34 and #68.

On the clock, the Devils offered #6 to Columbus for #8, #34, and #129. Columbus turned it down since Hanifin was off the board and they didn't think Philadelphia was taking Werenski.

Boston apparently offered impending RFA Dougie Hamilton to Arizona for the 3rd overall pick; Boston wanted local kid Noah Hanfin. Coyotes GM Don Maloney countered with their 2016 1st instead. Boston eventually dealt Hamilton to Calgary on draft day for #15, #45, and #52.

San Jose had something on the table with Tomas Hertl and pick #9 to San Jose for T.J. Oshie and Kevin Shattenkirk. But the Sharks decided to keep the pick for Timo Meier.

2016: Apparently there was a three way deal close where Columbus-Edmonton-Calgary would shuffle picks. Columbus would move down from #3 to #4 where they'd take Pierre-Luc Dubois. Edmonton would move from #4 to #6 to take Mikhail Sergachev. Not 100% sure if Calgary was targeting Jesse Puljujarvi or Matthew Tkachuk. Allegedly Edmonton got cold feet as they didn't like the optics of allowing Calgary to move up.

Separately Edmonton was offered Ryan McDonagh for #4 and the Rangers were targeting Clayton Keller. Montreal offered P.K. Subban to Vancouver for #5 contingent on Dubois being available.

2017: Vegas wanted to make a splash in its first draft and walk out with Nolan Patrick; Patrick had a history with assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon who had drafted him in the WHL.

Apparently the Devils were willing to move down from #1 to #3 since they knew at least one of Nico Hischier or Cale Makar would be there if Patrick was going #1.

Vegas tried to move up from #6 to #3, but Dallas was unwilling to budge. Dallas also turned down #7 and #21 from the Rangers; I think the Rangers were targeting Elias Pettersson.

2019: Montreal had some draft table footage. I recall them turning down #15 for #17 (plus a third?).

I believe LA offered #33 and a 7th to Ottawa for #32, but the Sens didn't want to gamble that they were targeting different guys.

2020: It was reported that LA made a couple attempts to swap #2 for #1 with the Rangers. I don't recall seeing any precise details on that one.

Buffalo had some draft room footage of them fielding calls on #8. Not sure if it was misleading editing, but it seemed like Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald called about moving up (from #18).

2023: Draft was in Nashville and Barry Trotz was about to take over as GM. They tried to get into the top 4 for one of the centers but nobody was willing to trade back. I think the offer was some combination of Yaroslav Askarov, #15, and #24.
Great job! How do you know all of this?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Great job! How do you know all of this?

Combo of old articles/books and behind the scenes videos.

lombardiburke.jpg

Here's an article about the 1993 game of chess. I only learned about the Forsberg wrinkle a couple years ago. The article mentions how Forsberg would have been eyeing Alexandre Daigle's record breaking rookie contract (the rookie salary cap wasn't introduced until the 1995 CBA).

Another amusing layer to the onion was that Burke had to include a conditional 1994 1st rounder if Kozlov wasn't available to the Sharks at #6. Burke was confident that Tampa-Anaheim-Florida were taking Chris Gratton, Paul Kariya, and Rob Niedermayer. I think it was during a podcast with Jeff Marek a few years back where Burke mentioned that the only people who knew about the conditional pick were Hartford, San Jose, and NHL Central Registry.

But out of the blue, Florida GM Bobby Clarke approached Burke after the trade and told him that they were going to take Kozlov at #5......unless they were given something to change their minds. Burke didn't call Clarke's bluff and forked over a 1994 2nd rounder; Apparently Florida had zero intention of taking Kozlov. To this day Burke is bitter because he's convinced somebody on the San Jose side leaked that detail to Florida. Florida would end up getting the 31st pick in the 1994 draft (Jason Podollan).

Here's a blip about Red Wings scout Hakan Andersson and Alexander Edler:

Six years later Andersson was almost certain he was the only scout with a fix on defenseman Alexander Edler, then playing for Jämtlands HF, a senior team in what amounted to a glorified beer league in northern Sweden. To avoid an unnecessary six-hour drive from his home, Andersson called the team’s coach to make sure Edler would be in the lineup that night in an end-of-season game. Sure, Andersson was told, come on up. But the coach tipped off an agent in Stockholm, who faxed other Swedish scouts that the Red Wings were interested in Edler. “Biggest mistake of my career,” Andersson says of that phone call. Thomas Gradin, the Canucks’ European scout, saw Edler, and at the 2004 draft Vancouver traded up in the third round to take him, six spots before Detroit’s pick.

Columbus did a nice behind the scenes video for the 2005 Draft + free agency. Here's footage of them mulling over the trade down offer.

And here's draft floor video of Boston trying to trade up for Nicklas Backstrom in 2006.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs7631 and Mach85

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Blip about the Islanders trying to move up in 2012:

On the surface, the New York Islanders' offer to trade all of their draft selections to Columbus for the number two pick sounds insane. (There is some dispute over which player was targeted -- Nail Yakupov or Ryan Murray. I believe it was Murray and the fact the Islanders took seven defencemen indicates that's a reasonable assumption.)

That's seven picks (numbers 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185) for one. The New Orleans Saints' decision to trade all of their 1999 choices to snare Ricky Williams got everyone fired within two years. But, if you really break it down, there's a method to this seeming madness.

Columbus had a great draft table video from 2015. But I can imagine that the other teams might not have been thrilled that their trade offers were made public, so perhaps that's why most recent draft table videos are a bit more generic.

Too lazy to find the original podcast but:

On the latest episode of the 32 Thoughts Podcast, NHL insider Elliotte Friedman revealed that Hamilton, who was then with the Boston Bruins, was almost dealt to the Arizona Coyotes at the 2015 NHL Draft in exchange for the No. 3 pick (which ended up becoming center Dylan Strome).

Before the 2017 Draft started, Darren Dreger mentioned Vegas trying to swing a couple deals with Dallas/New Jersey to land the #1 pick. He also mentioned that the Rangers would be willing to move #7 and #21 to Dallas for #3.

Draft table footage from the 2019 Draft with Montreal. Bergevin answers the phone and quickly asks Trevor Timmins if they'd move down two spots (to Vegas/#17) for a third round pick.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I seem to recall hearing that Kaberle was also offered to Arizona for #6.

And that their was a deal with Boston that would have sent Kaberle to Boston for Kessel but it died when both GM's thought they were getting a 1st too.

So Boston thought it was Kaberle and #7 for Kessel

Burke thought it was Kessel and a 1st for Kaberle.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Calgary apparently offered picks 6, 22, and 28 for the 1st overall pick in 2013 to Colorado for the chance to draft MacKinnon. Would’ve been crazy seeing 3 first traded in one deal.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Calgary apparently offered picks 6, 22, and 28 for the 1st overall pick in 2013 to Colorado for the chance to draft MacKinnon. Would’ve been crazy seeing 3 first traded in one deal.

As much as I love the draft, the expected value in the back half of the first round tends to be overestimated by fans. I remember arguing with a Kings fan about pick #22 in 2019 and tried to equate the upside of that player as being equal to somebody in the top 5 merely because they were "first rounders." I think that was an easy offer to turn down for Colorado.

Pierre Lacroix plotted for a couple years to get 1998 draft picks in an attempt to land Vinny Lecavalier. Entering the season, Colorado had the rights to 1st rounders from Boston, San Jose, and Los Angeles. Those teams had just picked 1-2-3 at the 1997 Draft. By some small miracle, all three teams improved the following season.

Colorado entered the draft with picks #12, #17, #19, #20, and #28. It was rumored that they offered some of those picks plus a roster player to Tampa for #1, but Tampa wasn't interested.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad