Ex-Oilers in the Playoffs

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Quite the number of Ex-Oilers playing in the playoffs this year.. including Sam Gagner playing in his first ever NHL Playoffs. Anyone you'll be following closely or cheering for?

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I'll be following the Pens Rangers series closely. From whipping boy on the worst franchise in the league to playing on a legit cup contender, I will definitely be watching Schultz

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'll be following the Pens Rangers series closely. From whipping boy on the worst franchise in the league to playing on a legit cup contender, I will definitely be watching Schultz

Schultz has an effective one-timer and slapshot on the PP now. I'm mystified and still doubt he can do that despite watching 3-4 clips of Penguins goals created by his shot.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Schultz has an effective one-timer and slapshot on the PP now. I'm mystified and still doubt he can do that despite watching 3-4 clips of Penguins goals created by his shot.

It's not too surprising really. The Oilers panic easily under pressure(even on the PP), which results in fumbled passes that nullifies the time and space to execute plays, and removes the ability for players to get open and set up for one timers(it's an issue at EV too).

Slapshots don't work much in Edmonton either, since no one goes to the net to tie up defenders and create havoc in areas that would draw opposing players out of position. The consequences of that being defensemen don't have time to wind up for things like slapshots, and are easily blocked if they go for the shot anyways(see - Sekera).

When you've got guys like Malkin and Crosby drawing defenders to create space for everyone else on the team, and vets who can execute passes and plays with confidence and speed; it creates significantly more room for a guy like Schultz to do their thing.

oiler-dude

In the West...

Anaheim Ducks
Andrew Cogliano
Shawn Horcoff
David Perron​

Chicago Blackhawks
Erik Gustafsson​

Dallas Stars
Ales Hemsky​

Los Angeles Kings
Matt Greene (injured)​

Minnesota Wild
Devan Dubnyk
Jarret Stoll​

Nashville Predators
No former Oilers​

San Jose Sharks
No former Oilers​

St. Louis Blues
Magnus Paajarvi
Kyle Brodziak
Anders Nilsson​

In the East...

Detroit Red Wings
No former Oilers​

Florida Panthers
Teddy Purcell​

New York Islanders
No former Oilers​

New York Rangers
No former Oilers​

Philadelphia Flyers
Sam Gagner
Chris Vandevelde
Nick Schultz​

Pittsburgh Penguins
Justin Schultz​

Tampa Bay Lightning
No former Oilers​

Washington Capitals
Jason Chimera
Taylor Chorney​

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Guess I like the Panthers the most, really don't like almost all the other teams. Teddy you get my support by default.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's weird that VandeVelde and Chorney are still around, lol.

Chorney is a surprise. Didn't seem to be good enough at one thing to last... but CVV was a legit 4th liner with us and when we switched coaches he fell out of favour. His previous coaches on our farm team and Mac-T said that he always busted his but and was easy to coach and I was kinda surprised that we let him go.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think the moral here is that we need to stop trading players.

Not really the moral of the story is have a better a solid core as complimentary players are a dime a dozen.

Non of these guys are impact guys. Gagner is getting a solid chance right now and will continue with Couturier out, but non of these ex oilers are stirring the drink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad