OT: Ex Long Islander Needs Recommendation for Blue Fish Restaurant

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
I hope this posting isn't pushing the limits of the HF Board. I spent the first 25 years of my life in Commack.
Every summer we would go out to Montauk for a couple of days and just before we left my dad would
go down to the pier where the fishing boats came in and buy some of the excess Blue Fish from the charter boats.
He would put it in the freezer and we'd have blue fish for dinner until September.
Anyway, I return to LI every year around Christmas catch an Islanders game and return to the LA or AZ.
I plan on coming back to Long Island in mid-August (my first summer trip in over 20 years) and I'm dying for some Long Island Blue Fish. Both of my parents have passed away, but I'm coming to see my sister, nieces and nephews and my cousins. I've asked my sister and my niece to recommend a good Long Island seafood restaurant that serves Blue Fish. They both told me they don't go out to eat much, they mainly cook at home, so I'm at a loss as to where to go.
Since this site is my only other connection to Long Island, I'm hoping for some recommendations. I don't plan on going out east, so please don't recommend the Hamptons or Montauk. I'm thinking somewhere from Huntington to the South Shore. Sorry for the long post.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I hope this posting isn't pushing the limits of the HF Board. I spent the first 25 years of my life in Commack.
Every summer we would go out to Montauk for a couple of days and just before we left my dad would
go down to the pier where the fishing boats came in and buy some of the excess Blue Fish from the charter boats.
He would put it in the freezer and we'd have blue fish for dinner until September.
Anyway, I return to LI every year around Christmas catch an Islanders game and return to the LA or AZ.
I plan on coming back to Long Island in mid-August (my first summer trip in over 20 years) and I'm dying for some Long Island Blue Fish. Both of my parents have passed away, but I'm coming to see my sister, nieces and nephews and my cousins. I've asked my sister and my niece to recommend a good Long Island seafood restaurant that serves Blue Fish. They both told me they don't go out to eat much, they mainly cook at home, so I'm at a loss as to where to go.
Since this site is my only other connection to Long Island, I'm hoping for some recommendations. I don't plan on going out east, so please don't recommend the Hamptons or Montauk. I'm thinking somewhere from Huntington to the South Shore. Sorry for the long post.

Wish I could help but I stayed at a Motel 6 last night and it drained all my intelligence . . .

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Of all the fish in the sound, you’re looking for Bluefish?

You do you, my dude haha

In terms of restaurants, I can’t think of any… it’s taste is so much of a niche thing, I can’t imagine restaurants really stock it
I understand your questioning my yearning for Blue Fish. It was the fish I ate growing up on Long Island and it's not available in LA or AZ. So part of it is nostalgic, but I definitely loved it growing up. I haven't had it in more than 20-25 years.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Be prepared for some salty alternative perspectives on the merits of a bluefish dinner.

Like you, my left coast Isles brother, I love fresh broiled bluefish. Having moved to Connecticut many years ago, I rarely if ever see it at a restaurant or fish market. Fortunately for me a coworker is an avid kayak fisherman (yes that exists) and he commutes from Long Island to Connecticut for work. He’s caught some monster bluefish over the years and puts some on ice for me a couple of times a year.

Good luck in your quest.

Reactions: LAIslanderFan

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Be prepared for some salty alternative perspectives on the merits of a bluefish dinner.

Like you, my left coast Isles brother, I love fresh broiled bluefish. Having moved to Connecticut many years ago, I rarely if ever see it at a restaurant or fish market. Fortunately for me a coworker is an avid kayak fisherman (yes that exists) and he commutes from Long Island to Connecticut for work. He’s caught some monster bluefish over the years and puts some on ice for me a couple of times a year.

Good luck in your quest.
Thank you! When I Google Blue Fish on Long Island, Sushi restaurants come up. I can't find it on Yelp either. Not sure why it's so difficult.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Thank you! When I Google Blue Fish on Long Island, Sushi restaurants come up. I can't find it on Yelp either. Not sure why it's so difficult.
I honestly have not seen bluefish on any restaurant menu, that I’ve been too, in or around Huntington area. Have you tried reaching out to any of the fish stores in the area? Fort hill seafood, Northport fish and lobster, Marty’s gourmet seafood? Even if they don’t have it, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
I honestly have not seen bluefish on any restaurant menu, that I’ve been too, in or around Huntington area. Have you tried reaching out to any of the fish stores in the area? Fort hill seafood, Northport fish and lobster, Marty’s gourmet seafood? Even if they don’t have it, they might be able to point you in the right direction.
Thank you. I'll reach out to them.

Reactions: eoin92

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Hell, from time to time i find them here in Raleigh at Whole Foods of all places. Love blue fish...also grew up on them as well a porgies, which too i can get here..though not the big 2lb plus ones we caught as kids.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I left LI in 1988 but to help out a fellow Isles' fan did some poking around and Artie's Fish Market in Island Park is the only place I found that listed Bluefish on the menu. Look under "fresh fillets and steaks" and it's there. Although you probably want to call to make sure they have it. I don't know that I've ever had Bluefish, but my recollection from people who fished and ate it is that the advance prep is important - laying it in bread crumbs or something to draw out the oils, IIRC. Anyway, here's the link:

Looks like it's small and you have to call for parties of more than 6. Cool idea - good luck!!

Last edited:

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I left LI in 1988 but to help out a fellow Isles' fan did some poking around and Artie's Fish Market in Island Park is the only place I found that listed Bluefish on the menu. Look under "fresh fillets and steaks" and it's there. Although you probably want to call to make sure they have it. I don't know that I've ever had Bluefish, but my recollection from people who fished and ate it is that the advance prep is important - laying it in bread crumbs or something to draw out the oils, IIRC. Anyway, here's the link:

Looks like it's small and you have to call for parties of more than 6. Cool idea - good luck!!
Can’t speak for the bluefish since it’s not really one of my go to’s, but Artie’s is a very good spot.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Can’t speak for the bluefish since it’s not really one of my go to’s, but Artie’s is a very good spot.
Good to hear from someone who knows the place! Just to be clear, I've never been there and have no idea what it's like, but they have bluefish on the menu!

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I’ve heard soaking it in milk helps too

If I caught it and intended to eat it, I’d bleed it immediately (they’re like, immediately unhearty and die very quickly), soak the meat in milk and then try to draw the extra oil out

I’ve had it a few times… never liked it

But apparently it is very good smoked

On a semi-related note, anyone doing the WICC tourny in a couple weeks?

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Catching blues great fun , powerful fight eating them ?

Reactions: WangMustGo

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
As an LI'er and avid seafood consumer, I dont think Ive ever had bluefish. BUT

Maybe give this place a CALL, and ask where you could find some restaurants which could have it for you? Probably not the person who answers the phone (stereotypes are fun) but maybe ask for manager/owner who could give you a lead.

Claws Seafood Market

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
As an LI'er and avid seafood consumer, I dont think Ive ever had bluefish. BUT

Maybe give this place a CALL, and ask where you could find some restaurants which could have it for you? Probably not the person who answers the phone (stereotypes are fun) but maybe ask for manager/owner who could give you a lead.

Claws Seafood Market
And Claws is just a fantastic spot in Sayville. Can make a day out of it with the downtown area too

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Blue fish isn't really prized for its meat and I can't see a restaurant having it on its menu when there are other prized fish locally caught. I've eaten it before don't mind it but it's pretty fishy and most people don't keep it. I've also heard best way to treat the meat is to bleed them immediately and I've heard the milk thing too. You can try cousins fish market in Freeport to buy some might get lucky.

This big bluefish tournament is coming up end of the month also.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Looking forward to it, like every year!

We never win anything significant, but we’ve pulled a little money every once in a while

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010

Thank you, I'll definitely check it out.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Blue fish isn't really prized for its meat and I can't see a restaurant having it on its menu when there are other prized fish locally caught. I've eaten it before don't mind it but it's pretty fishy and most people don't keep it. I've also heard best way to treat the meat is to bleed them immediately and I've heard the milk thing too. You can try cousins fish market in Freeport to buy some might get lucky.

This big bluefish tournament is coming up end of the month also.
Where and when is the tournament?

Yellow eyed meanies
What is Yellow eyed meanies?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
What is Yellow eyed meanies?

1722449792186.png

A moniker for the fish you're looking for :thumbu:

Catching the yellow eyed meanies on diamond jigs or poppers under birds working might be the most fun you can have on the water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad