Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Didn't have a great end to the year.

I can`t really speak to how he played there as I saw only his game vs the B`s but sounds like he had the kind of finish he did when he stormed on the scene with the B`s, started out electric then once all the excitement/Adrenalin died down, his game did too?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I can`t really speak to how he played there as I saw only his game vs the B`s but sounds like he had the kind of finish he did when he stormed on the scene with the B`s, started out electric then once all the excitement/Adrenalin died down, his game did too?

There were a few Minnesota posters who chimed in and said that while he was putting up points, he didn't look great.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Can you name me another highly touted prospect who spent the majority of their time with the big club being assigned to the minors after the NHL season is over?

Why not get him more experience and games played? For those rooting agaisnt his success I'm sure they are blind to this. Donato pretty much doubles the amount of points Coyle and Johansson combined down the stretch but here we are searching for fault

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Why not get him more experience and games played? For those rooting agaisnt his success I'm sure they are blind to this

And those rooting for his success are blind to the fact that it is extremely rare for an NHL starter to be sent to the minors after the season is over, and the fact Ryan Donato was sent down points to his game trailing off after a hot start. We can't help it if our predictions of what would happen to his game came true.

Reactions: Chief Nine

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
And those rooting for his success are blind to the fact that it is extremely rare for an NHL starter to be sent to the minors after the season is over, and the fact Ryan Donato was sent down points to his game trailing off after a hot start. We can't help it if our predictions of what would happen to his game came true.

60 career games. More hockey is a good thing

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Pasta got sent down after playing 46 games In 14-15 after ending the season with the big club

And I'll be the first one to admit Pasta had huge holes in his game (and remember, in April 2015, he wasn't even 19 years old).

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nothing besides they want him to develop. I'm assuming whoever is coaching him is narrative free

So the people who were chastised for saying he wasn't ready for a regular slot in the NHL were actually right? It wasn't Butch/Sweeney screwing him? It wasn't the "three zone drone" philosophy that was holding Ryan back?

Call me shocked! Shocked I say!

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So the people who were chastised for saying he wasn't ready for a regular slot in the NHL were actually right? It wasn't Butch/Sweeney screwing him? It wasn't the "three zone drone" philosophy that was holding Ryan back?

Call me shocked! Shocked I say!

You conveniently ignore all the good hes done down the stretch. I get it, you need him to do poorly. However this move means nothing except getting a developing player more games

Reactions: Lo97

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You conveniently ignore all the good hes done down the stretch. I get it, you need him to do poorly. However this move means nothing except getting a developing player more games

Look, there were people here who predicted a Spooner like bump in points and then a decline. There were others who predicted he'd finally be set free to be the offensive juggernaut that he is. Don't blame me for coming in here to evaluate the result of those predictions. You certainly didn't hesitate to post when he was popping in points after the trade.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Agreed.

He can be NHL ready, while still having parts of his game to work on. I would want him to get as much experience as possible too.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Look, there were people here who predicted a Spooner like bump in points and then a decline. There were others who predicted he'd finally be set free to be the offensive juggernaut that he is. Don't blame me for coming in here to evaluate the result of those predictions. You certainly didn't hesitate to post when he was popping in points after the trade.

Spooner and Donato have nothing to do with one another. They wore the same Jersey, that's it

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Spooner and Donato have nothing to do with one another. They wore the same Jersey, that's it

So what? We can't compare the careers of two players that may be having the same trajectory? They certainly have similar profiles: Both 2nd rounders. Both natural centers playing the wing. Both offensively gifted with not much on the defensive side. Both similar in size/weight. Both seemed averse to physicality. Both seem to have caught fire with a new team then tapered off. I think it's pretty natural to compare the two.

Reactions: BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So what? We can't compare the careers of two players that may be having the same trajectory? They certainly have similar profiles: Both 2nd rounders. Both natural centers playing the wing. Both offensively gifted with not much on the defensive side. Both similar in size/weight. Both seemed averse to physicality. Both seem to have caught fire with a new team then tapered off. I think it's pretty natural to compare the two.

No not really logical to compare spooner at game 249 with the Bruins and Donato at 40+ games. Their career paths have zero similarities except they played for Boston and the sport of hockey

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
No not really logical to compare spooner at game 249 with the Bruins and Donato at 40+ games. Their career paths have zero similarities except they played for Boston and the sport of hockey

Wasn't comparing the amount of games, just the type of player. And that is a legit comparison. Whether it holds true in the future, we shall see.

Edit: I can't believe in a thread where Ryan Donato's career path/player type was compared with the likes of Seguin, Wheeler, and Kessel, we aren't allowed to compare him with Ryan Freaking Spooner.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
From a Wild fan I deal with as a vendor

Was surprised Boston gave up on him so quickly after seeing him in the Olympics. He looks to shoot the puck which it what the Wild needs. They are a long ways away from contending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad