Proposal: Evgeny Kuznetsov

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Lol this is such a bad take, it makes me wonder if you have a disability...

Anyways, kuzy isn't what the leafs need, so yeah, not an option. These writers love saying 'leafs should be in on blah', no matter who it is.

Leafs need a Lawson Crouse type forward, a Brett Pesce type defender and a true #1 goalie

If he's such a good player why isn't he signed yet?

Reactions: CincoHolio

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Depth scoring? Sure.

Why do we think Kuznetsov will provide scoring depth? He has all the signs of troubled player on the decline. He got 24 points last year and had decent ice time. His point per 60 minutes ranked 395th in the league, well behind most players including Alex Nylander. Why not take a flyer on him without all the baggage. Well behind Robertson and Holmberg, one of who he would be knocking out of the top nine.

Why are we betting on him rebounding?

He's 1 year removed from a 55 point season, I have a hard time believing It's just done, when he had 55 points in 2023.

As for knocking Robertson or Holmberg out of the lineup, Robertson doesn't want to be here which is a shame because I've said many times I think Robertson can be a 25 goal guy, but also he wants out so f*** him.

As for Holmberg, again I like Holmberg but much like Kampf Holmberg isn't providing scoring depth so I'm not concerned with Kuznetzov knocking Holmberg out of the lineup.

But it doesn't have to be Kuznetzov I'd take a flyer on Kubalik or Vrana too.

Vrana would be a PTO though whereas I would give Kubalik a contract

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He's 1 year removed from a 55 point season, I have a hard time believing It's just done, when he had 55 points in 2023.

As for knocking Robertson or Holmberg out of the lineup, Robertson doesn't want to be here which is a shame because I've said many times I think Robertson can be a 25 goal guy, but also he wants out so f*** him.

As for Holmberg, again I like Holmberg but much like Kampf Holmberg isn't providing scoring depth so I'm not concerned with Kuznetzov knocking Holmberg out of the lineup.

But it doesn't have to be Kuznetzov I'd take a flyer on Kubalik or Vrana too.

Vrana would be a PTO though whereas I would give Kubalik a contract
Kuznetsov out up those points TWO years ago with lots of ice time, ES and PP. Yes, he MIGHT still be capable of scoring but do we really see him getting that opportunity here? Why would we do that?

Now we are to talking about finding too six and PP1 time. Who are we knocking out now? Matty? Nylander? Marner? Tavares? Domi? Knies?

You mentioned Robertson not wanting to be here, that appears to be because of the lack of opportunity, I would rather keep the younger guy with upside and find him the opportunity than the declining and distracting vet. We could end up taking a shot of Kuznetsov that doesn't work out and losing Robbie in the process. No thanks.

I also don't think we should be recycling vets for depth and depth scoring, we need to develop young guys that can be here a while. Robertson, Holmberg, Cowan, Grebyenkin, even McMann (not young) and Minten (not necessarily a scorer) should not be blocked. Our future depends on developing young, cheap contributors and some of these guys can start now. I would like to see 250 to 300 games allocated to McMann, Robertson, Holmberg (60 to 80 each), Cowan, and Grebyenkin (40 to 80 each) next year.

My other goal for next year is to develop WN into our 2C while sliding JT down to our 3C. Signing Kuznetsov or someone like him counters both of these goals.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kuznetsov out up those points TWO years ago with lots of ice time, ES and PP. Yes, he MIGHT still be capable of scoring but do we really see him getting that opportunity here? Why would we do that?

Now we are to talking about finding too six and PP1 time. Who are we knocking out now? Matty? Nylander? Marner? Tavares? Domi? Knies?

You mentioned Robertson not wanting to be here, that appears to be because of the lack of opportunity, I would rather keep the younger guy with upside and find him the opportunity than the declining and distracting vet. We could end up taking a shot of Kuznetsov that doesn't work out and losing Robbie in the process. No thanks.

I also don't think we should be recycling vets for depth and depth scoring, we need to develop young guys that can be here a while. Robertson, Holmberg, Cowan, Grebyenkin, even McMann (not young) and Minten (not necessarily a scorer) should not be blocked. Our future depends on developing young, cheap contributors and some of these guys can start now. I would like to see 250 to 300 games allocated to McMann, Robertson, Holmberg (60 to 80 each), Cowan, and Grebyenkin (40 to 80 each) next year.

My other goal for next year is to develop WN into our 2C while sliding JT down to our 3C. Signing Kuznetsov or someone like him counters both of these goals.

You need to give up on that dream, William Nylander was drafted in 2014, if he was going to be a center at the NHL level he would be by now.

William Nylander will NEVER, be a center in the NHL, It's been tried and It's failed every time.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You’d probably be better off playing Nylander at center than signing Kuznetsov to play center. Not to mention Kuznetsov is terrible defensively and known to just give up skating back. He’d be a huge whipping boy here in no time. No thanks.

Reactions: bax

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You’d probably be better off playing Nylander at center than signing Kuznetsov to play center. Not to mention Kuznetsov is terrible defensively and known to just give up skating back. He’d be a huge whipping boy here in no time. No thanks.

If he came here It's probably to play wing

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
He hasn't agreed to terms with a team yet.

Really?

You'd think with 24 points last year, along with a substance abuse problem requiring a stint in the EAP, there would have been 30 other GM's lined up outside his door after his last two teams gave up on him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Really?

You'd think with 24 points last year, along with a substance abuse problem requiring a stint in the EAP, there would have been 30 other GM's lined up outside his door after his last two teams gave up on him.
Maybe you'd think that.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You need to give up on that dream, William Nylander was drafted in 2014, if he was going to be a center at the NHL level he would be by now.

William Nylander will NEVER, be a center in the NHL, It's been tried and It's failed every time.
...or, Treliving arrived last year and said he wanted to see Nylander at C, Keefe tried it for ten days at camp. Maybe the change in coach brings an actual try at making it work?

I would much rather have Nylander learning to be a 2C than Kuznetsov being a memory of one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
...or, Treliving arrived last year and said he wanted to see Nylander at C, Keefe tried it for ten days at camp. Maybe the change in coach brings an actual try at making it work?

I would much rather have Nylander learning to be a 2C than Kuznetsov being a memory of one.

last year wasn't the only time Nylander at center has been tried, It's been tried 5 or 6 times over the years It's never stuck.

William Nylander is an elite RW and that's a good thing.

All moving Nylander to center does is hurt the RW depth, as well as try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

As for Kuznetzov IF he came here It's probably as a winger since there are a couple spots open there.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
last year wasn't the only time Nylander at center has been tried, It's been tried 5 or 6 times over the years It's never stuck.

William Nylander is an elite RW and that's a good thing.

All moving Nylander to center does is hurt the RW depth, as well as try to fit a square peg into a round hole.

As for Kuznetzov IF he came here It's probably as a winger since there are a couple spots open there
The fact they have tried this a few times suggests that people feel the possibility is there. I think this is absolutely worth a try again.
  1. We have a new head coach and staff.
  2. Willy is signed for term and perhaps open to what the team needs and not just what gets him the most points and money. This one sounds negative to Nylander and I don't mean that, I just think it is more fair to ask him to try this now that he is signed.
  3. We have a larger need to solve for 2C with Tavares getting older and UFA next year.
  4. We have lots of winger depth with Marner, Domi, Knies, McMann, Cowan, Robertson, Jarnkrok, Grebyenkin, and even Holmberg.
  5. We should absolutely weaken RW depth in favour of C depth if we have to and can.
You might be right, it might be a square peg and round hole, or for the reasons above it might be the perfect solution this time. Add another reason to the list -- Willy just had a monster year and his confidence seems to be at an all time high.

This just solves too many problems to not give it a try. Give it 30 or 40 games.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
If he's such a good player why isn't he signed yet?
Likely because hes picking the right place for himself. Whether its here or russia.

And i didnt say he was a good player, i said you say ridiculous things 🤷

Anyways, kuzy will find a home. You need to tone down the dramatics.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Likely because hes picking the right place for himself. Whether its here or russia.

And i didnt say he was a good player, i said you say ridiculous things 🤷

Anyways, kuzy will find a home. You need to tone down the dramatics.

You're probably right.

He's just taking his time. Picking and choosing from all those options available to him. Must be overwhelming for poor Kuznetsov.

What was I thinking.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
He's going to Russia.
This. “Keeping NHL options open” = leverage to get the best KHL deal possible.

No chance he would walk away from a $7.8M payday* in Carolina, just to go elsewhere in NA for a few million. That aside, both playing in Toronto or for Berube would likely be a nonstarter at this point in his career.

*(not sure how that last 7.8 AAV was structured, may have been some $ paid out in bonuses)

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Screenshot_2024-07-31-13-26-30~2.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad