Evgeni Malkin is leading the league in scoring at 38

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I could see him coming close to top 10 in points still in a full season. Who are Crosby’s wingers this season? And do you believe he is better than Crosby at this point.
Crosby is playing with Anthony Beauvillier and Bryan Rust right now.

I definitely don't think Malkin is better than Crosby at this point. Crosby still pulls off the craziest plays and is much more of a consistent impact in all 3 zones of the ice. Crosby could have had multiple Sportscenter Top 10 plays last night alone if his teammates finished on the insane passes he was making.

Reactions: authentic

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Malkin is that guy who can win the scoring race any year and it wouldn’t be surprising, he just can’t stay healthy

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Malkin is that guy who can win the scoring race any year and it wouldn’t be surprising, he just can’t stay healthy

1729177807617.png

• Love
Reactions: Ignatius

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
Love to see it, but also 10 seconds in.

Makar, MacKinnon, and Rantanen are all in the top 10 and they havent won a game or even lost in OT so FML.

4 of 18 seasons he played 80+ games
7 of 18 seasons he played 75+ games
12 of 18 seasons he played 60+ games

Malkin I could argue for my lifetime is the woulda coulda didnt because he was injured all time great. Dude could have Jagr type potential if he stayed healthy and who knows how much more success the Pens would have had.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Makar is on pace for 164 points and zero wins. So thats cool.

I’m one of the last people on this site to care about pace, nor do I think Malkin will finish anywhere near the top of the scoring race.

But it is pretty cool to see him briefly regain his old powers at age 38.

Why watch at all, if we can’t have fun with the opening handful of games after no hockey for four months (six months for Pittsburgh fans)?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I’m one of the last people on this site to care about pace, nor do I think Malkin will finish anywhere near the top of the scoring race.

But it is pretty cool to see him briefly regain his old powers at age 38.

Why watch at all, if we can’t have fun with the opening handful of games after no hockey for four months (six months for Pittsburgh fans)?

Yeah I mean... we don't have much these days. Give us our like 5-10 games of vintage Geno in peace before the rest of the season and reality sets in lol

Reactions: Video Nasty

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
This is nothing that Pens fans haven't also thought about for years.

I've gotten over the failures that the core had. Back to back cups will do that.

Look at this way: If the Pens are a well managed team from 2010-2014, maybe they win a cup or two then. But they probably don't then have everything click at exactly the right time to win the back to back cups in the Sullivan/JR era. So maybe they're more successful earlier in Sid and Geno's careers but maybe they don't win those other cups.

At the end of the day, three cups is an exceptional legacy for this core. No Pens fan or anybody should be disappointed with that.
This is a good way to look at it. Similarly, I view Bobrovsky's terrible first two years in Florida as a blessing that was necessary to ensure Dale Tallon was fired, which allowed Mike Zito to step in at exactly the right time.

However, the bolded text should be revised. It wasn't the core's failure. Bylsma, Shero, Johnston, Hextall, and Burke are the biggest culprits.

For comparison, the Thornton era Sharks never won a cup because of the players' shortcomings--not poor coaching or poor roster construction. Ovechkin/Backstrom only got past the second round once because they and their teammates couldn't finish the job--not because they were held back by the coach or front office.

Reactions: Ignatius

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I love the guy and have so since he broke into the league. But, no, that isn't even close to being true. Dude: he's 38.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby is playing with Anthony Beauvillier and Bryan Rust right now.

I definitely don't think Malkin is better than Crosby at this point. Crosby still pulls off the craziest plays and is much more of a consistent impact in all 3 zones of the ice. Crosby could have had multiple Sportscenter Top 10 plays last night alone if his teammates finished on the insane passes he was making.

Yeah I’ll have to tune into more pens games for sure, especially while both are still healthy and before they decline for good.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He looks healthier this year. I remember watching him last year and he seemed barely recognizable. He looks sharper this year at least so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad