Everything Avs...3 day break edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Don't underestimate the allure of free agency, or the desperation of some NHL GMs. I guarantee you somebody would offer a massive overpayment to Landy in UFA, and that the amount will surprise him enough to get him to take another look. Sakic will be expecting a discount, other GMs are going to try to wow him with dollar signs, especially if a bidding war breaks out. Even Seattle, who would get first crack at him, would likely try to blow him away with an initial offer and get him to pay attention. A lot of conversations would happen without Sakic being involved, and I think it would be a big, big risk to let Landy find out what kind of money is out there for him.

The only way to avoid that is to just sign him and protect him, just like you would any star player. If you want to keep a guy like Calvert, or maybe Grubs, you go ahead and play those games and accept the outcome. But you don't do that with your captain and first line winger who is a critical part of your team's success.

If Landy wants to test the waters I’d let him walk. I don’t like losing your captain & integral core piece, but I don’t think we’re going to like his next contract in 3-5 years.

Reactions: McJedi

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
like when I called out Cole for being awful in the bubble when everybody here was whining about Graves endlessly. I guess I was just seeing whatever I wanted too.

Landy does not need to be resigned before ufa. He can be resigned as a free agent. You admit this is possible? Of course you do. So why not do that with Landy? He’s a UFA. Seattle gonna take a ufa? They can’t even do that. So exposure Grubs as well. Expose all the ufas.
They both sucked though?

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Considering the avs immediately inserted Makar into the lineup in the midst of a playoff round when they deemed he was ready for the nhl, I’m not terribly concerned about Byram getting a chance to stay with the team. If he plays well enough he will get plenty of games this year.

Reactions: Avs and Ararana

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Considering the avs immediately inserted Makar into the lineup in the midst of a playoff round when they deemed he was ready for the nhl, I’m not terribly concerned about Byram getting a chance to stay with the team. If he plays well enough he will get plenty of games this year.
It’s going to be a fun week!

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m not concerned on Byram ability but Makar’s contract was already burned, Girard has just got hurt and Makar was at the apex of his hype at the time. There was a wee more urgency with that decision. Just depends if they want to make a commitment to Byram or not. So far seems they are but we’ll see.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I’m not concerned on Byram ability but Makar’s contract was already burned, Girard has just got hurt and Makar was at the apex of his hype at the time. There was a wee more urgency with that decision. Just depends if they want to make a commitment to Byram or not. So far seems they are but we’ll see.

I just have zero trepidation on the matter. The situations aren’t a perfect mirror, but Byram is also peaking in hype right now after his wjc performance. All I’m saying is that Byram is a similar prospect as Makar was when they trusted him enough to bench an experienced nhl defenseman in the midst of a playoff series against a top seeded team.

I’m assuming your trepidation stems from how they’ve treated lower prospects in the past such as Siemens, Bigras, Meloche, and Greer. Maybe this isn’t where you draw your anxiety from but I see these prospects in a different light than a top 4 pick like Byram, and I’m sure the avs front office do as well.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Don't underestimate the allure of free agency, or the desperation of some NHL GMs. I guarantee you somebody would offer a massive overpayment to Landy in UFA, and that the amount will surprise him enough to get him to take another look. Sakic will be expecting a discount, other GMs are going to try to wow him with dollar signs, especially if a bidding war breaks out. Even Seattle, who would get first crack at him, would likely try to blow him away with an initial offer and get him to pay attention. A lot of conversations would happen without Sakic being involved, and I think it would be a big, big risk to let Landy find out what kind of money is out there for him.

The only way to avoid that is to just sign him and protect him, just like you would any star player. If you want to keep a guy like Calvert, or maybe Grubs, you go ahead and play those games and accept the outcome. But you don't do that with your captain and first line winger who is a critical part of your team's success.
I don’t underestimate the allure of free agency. If Landy wants to pursue top dollar, let him. If he leaves for a huge deal elsewhere, good luck to him. The Avs can use his and Cole’s cap space to find replacement UFAs. The Avs would be a very desirable destination and they’d have pick of the litter. Maybe get a Taylor Hall? Or RNH if he doesn’t resign with the Oil.

Resigning Landy would be great. On the Avs terms. He’s not mission critical though if he wants some huge AAV ($8mm and/or 8 year term). Avs would be wise to let him do that and spend their finite cap space elswhere.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They both sucked though?
Graves did not play well in the bubble after an outstanding season. He regressed quite a bit.

But Cole played like hot garbage in the bubble after a solid season.

Cole was our worst player by a lot when they Edmonton playoffs arrived. And Cole appears to be yet again this year. He’s looked substantially worse than the other five defenders thur 2 games. Dovetailing off his washed up bubble fiasco.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I don’t underestimate the allure of free agency. If Landy wants to pursue top dollar, let him. If he leaves for a huge deal elsewhere, good luck to him. The Avs can use his and Cole’s cap space to find replacement UFAs. The Avs would be a very desirable destination and they’d have pick of the litter. Maybe get a Taylor Hall? Or RNH if he doesn’t resign with the Oil.

Resigning Landy would be great. On the Avs terms. He’s not mission critical though if he wants some huge AAV ($8mm and/or 8 year term). Avs would be wise to let him do that and spend their finite cap space elswhere.
I doubt Landy wants to go anywhere. He’s going to be a career Av. I bet he would take a discount to make that happen.

Reactions: Clainer09

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
My original prediction for Byram was one of the Wild games at the end of the month but after listening to Bednar today I'll say he debuts against the Ducks this week or the Sharks next Tuesday. It sounds like they really do want to get him in there as soon as they can.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I doubt Landy wants to go anywhere. He’s going to be a career Av. I bet he would take a discount to make that happen.

Ok. Sure. Then you’re backing up MY point.

And I’ll again ask, why are you guys so worried about him going to UFA? Why waste a protection slot on him. Just resign him as a free agent.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Ok. Sure. Then you’re backing up MY point.

And I’ll again ask, why are you guys so worried about him going to UFA? Why waste a protection slot on him. Just resign him as a free agent.
Because you don’t want to lose a player like Landeskog. He also deserves to be protected.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
My original prediction for Byram was one of the Wild games at the end of the month but after listening to Bednar today I'll say he debuts against the Ducks this week or the Sharks next Tuesday. It sounds like they really do want to get him in there as soon as they can.
I’m hoping game 4

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

I’m hoping he’s inserted by the 4 game stretch vs the Mild. That’s going to get testy sometime between games 2 & 3.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Because you don’t want to lose a player like Landeskog. He also deserves to be protected.

Protected from what? He’ll be UFA.

Why would he be taken by Seattle when he doesn’t have a contract to take. You’ve heard the saying “players don’t get traded, contracts do”, apply the same logic here.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Landeskog is the captain of the Avs.

You don’t let your captain walk out the door when he’s played his ass off for the organization his entire career. He deserves a new contract and the Avs are a worse team without him.

What kind of message would it send to your team if you don’t sign him?

The contract will be fine for a few years and then bad after that. That’s just the way it goes. The Avs can’t lose Landy right as their making the push for a cup.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Even with the Landy contract let's say 4 years from now, Avs would still be contenders because the D is so young and good

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Protected from what? He’ll be UFA.

Why would he be taken by Seattle when he doesn’t have a contract to take. You’ve heard the saying “players don’t get traded, contracts do”, apply the same logic here.

It won’t come down to that, and it shouldn’t. Handshake deals are illegal in the NHL and if Landy makes it to UFA there will be quite a few suitors.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
It won’t come down to that, and it shouldn’t. Handshake deals are illegal in the NHL and if Landy makes it to UFA there will be quite a few suitors.
I never said anything about a handshake deal and... so what? If the few teams with cap space offer him more money and his goal is to Max his earnings, you don’t match and you wish him well in Anaheim or New Jersey.

you pivot to other options, of which there will be many. Would I rather have Landy on an 7-8 year contract i didn’t like or both of say, Hoffman and Dadonov on short term deals? door two all day long.

I only resign Landy if the deal works for the Avs. Otherwise, I watch him walk. And I surely don’t waste a expansion draft protection slot on any pending UFA.

and for the other guy that said “he’s the captain”, I name a new captain. The Avs have several choices that are better players.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I never said anything about a handshake deal and... so what? If the few teams with cap space offer him more money and his goal is to Max his earnings, you don’t match and you wish him well in Anaheim or New Jersey.

you pivot to other options, of which there will be many. Would I rather have Landy on an 7-8 year contract i didn’t like or both of say, Hoffman and Dadonov on short term deals? door two all day long.

I only resign Landy if the deal works for the Avs. Otherwise, I watch him walk. And I surely don’t waste a expansion draft protection slot on any pending UFA.

and for the other guy that said “he’s the captain”, I name a new captain. The Avs have several choices that are better players.
And they'll have all the players looking for the fastest option out of the Avs organization if that happens.

Reactions: Clainer09

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
And they'll have all the players looking for the fastest option out of the Avs organization if that happens.

Doubt it. I don't see Blues players clamoring to leave St. Louis now that Pietrangelo is gone.

Landeskog is a key cog for this team, but he's not a player you write a blank cheque to. If he wants something ridiculous like a 8 x 10 mil contract, adios. It would make a player like EJ all the more important to keep though. I have total faith in Sakic making the right decision when it comes to Landeskog's next deal.

Reactions: McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad