Evander Kane slew foot on Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Ryan got a penalty just like Hoglander got one for cross checking him twice 5 seconds after the puck was gone.

He should have been given 5 for going after someone's nuts, and McDavid should have had 4 for face slashing Hughes.

Reactions: 14ari13

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
You're also apparently allowed to stab Hoglander in the groin with your stick and slash Hughes in the face without recourse.
It didn't go without recourse. He sat in the box. If it was really fair though, you'd have to allow someone else to return the cup check also.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kane doesn't have to pull up or pin Hughes. He didn't even have time for that. He's finishing his check.

After re-watching on a couple loops I think I gave Kane too much credit.

Hes not in a position to even a make a hit on this play. Hughes already made the puck play & is spinning off potential contact before Kane is close enough to make a real hit, which is why Kane sticks his leg out - to at least some piece of him.

Which I can atleast respect, you want to take any lick at the other teams best player, but to pretend this was Hughes fault somehow or that Kane didn't know what he was doing is ridiculous.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
After re-watching on a couple loops I think I gave Kane too much credit.

Hes not in a position to even a make a hit on this play. Hughes already made the puck play & is spinning off potential contact before Kane is close enough to make a real hit, which is why Kane sticks his leg out - to at least some piece of him.

Which I can atleast respect, you want to take any lick at the other teams best player, but to pretend this was Hughes fault somehow or that Kane didn't know what he was doing is ridiculous.

are we going to pretend it was a slewfoot?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not sure how anyone thinks it's not due to him turning away. He did the same thing in game 1. Pretending there is a rule that the player throwing the hit needs to account for awkward spins where players forget to take their lower body with them is an interesting choice.

Reactions: McFlyingV

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If the refs call every penalty they missed tonight for the rest of the series the Oilers win in 5. If I'm a Canucks fan I'm cool with the refs "letting them play" as they call it.

Reactions: cupface52

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Hughes needs to tighten up the chinstrap. He's going to get popped more than he's used to in the playoffs, and his lid seems to come off pretty easy.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hughes got bodied is what happened on that play. Kane’s pinky toe getting barely close to him does not explain how he went flying at the WAIST/Torso and not cause his feet were taken out.

Also, Love how you can see Hughes loosening the straps on his bucket in the bench just prior to this play for maximum diving potential.

Would have been the best dive of the night if not for Zadorovs Rick Flair Flop. Embarrassing display by Zadorov there, he aims to make refs look like fools and take their livelihoods away from them. For shame.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Interesting replies here.

There's no hit available for Kane on this play, Hughes moves the puck quickly & spins off the contact like he should as a smaller dman. Kane's never close enough to make a real hit.

Nothing is available for Kane so he sticks out the leg to atleast get a lick in.

Prob a 2 min tripping call in the regular season, in a tough game you let that go both ways, but this is a jist good quick-play by Hughes & Kane knows what he's doing. Imo

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's 100% a slewfoot/trip. Hughes made a fast play to avoid getting ran, Kane could've easily pulled up a bit & pinned Hughes to the boards, instead kicks his left leg out as Quinn is evading.

Don't think it was the most concerning non-call of the night tho, as others have said.
Kane’s allowed to finish his check no matter how much shifting around Hughes does to draw a call. Hughes wasn’t slew footed on this play, he was bodied, he flew horizontally due to impact at the waist area. Not cause his feet was taken out.

• Haha
Reactions: 14ari13 and PuckG

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That was as a clear tripping/slew foot penalty as you will ever see.
The high stick was obvious too.
Nope. Here’s a more obvious slewfoot though. Also uncalled in playoffs. So nucks fans should stop crying, shut happens. Notice how Mack has his legs in position to behind Drais legs? Notice how Mack has to pull Drais upper body backwards to get him to trip over said legs? Notice how none of that happens on on the Kane play?

• Haha
Reactions: 14ari13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad