Evander Kane slew foot on Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
The clear McDavid stick to his face earlier and the boarding hit on Pettersson were probably worse non-calls.

Not a great game from the refs but that's how she goes sometimes
Everyones complaining about the high stick from McDavid, noones talking about the very egregious missed high stick from Zadorov on Hyman at the end of the first. Just how it is I guess.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Somewhat borderline maybe but looking at that 2nd angle it looks like most of the contact comes from Kanes waist, that area, hes not tipping Hughes over backwards head first.

Oh you mean a Zadorov?
Nah, he should pull a Hoglander flop.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Hughes would draw more calls if he didn't embellish. Refs saw his pathetic dive in game 1 so he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.
Interesting sounds like something that would be correct but then McDavid dives and whines every shift and gets away with it. Is what it is you can't have it both ways. Hopefully both teams smarten up and just play the game.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Not sure how anyone can complain about Hughes turning away. That wasn't remotely close to being a case where a hit was set and he turned his back to it at the last second, on the contrary, Kane was still quite a bit away when he changed direction. And no, this wouldn't have been a "ride the hit into the bords and nothing would have happened situation" either, as Hughes wasn't right at the bords. It was perfectly reasonable for Hughes to turn away in that moment. Pretending that there is some god given rule that a a player must let himself be hit, just because an opponent wants to make a hit, is nonsensical. It somehow manages to ignore that it is on the hitter to make sure he can land a proper hit, not on the hittee to make sure it happens. There is one case and one case only, where this idea truly applies: when contact is immediate and unavoidable. That wasn't true here.

That being said, that doesn't look like much of a slewfoot, more like tripping. Should have been 2 minutes for just that.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
It's 100% a slewfoot/trip. Hughes made a fast play to avoid getting ran, Kane could've easily pulled up a bit & pinned Hughes to the boards, instead kicks his left leg out as Quinn is evading.

Don't think it was the most concerning non-call of the night tho, as others have said.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's 100% a slewfoot/trip. Hughes made a fast play to avoid getting ran, Kane could've easily pulled up a bit & pinned Hughes to the boards, instead kicks his left leg out as Quinn is evading.

Don't think it was the most concerning non-call of the night tho, as others have said.
Kane doesn't have to pull up or pin Hughes. He didn't even have time for that. He's finishing his check.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The clear McDavid stick to his face earlier and the boarding hit on Pettersson were probably worse non-calls.

Not a great game from the refs but that's how she goes sometimes
You mean when nurse hit him shoulder to shoulder?

Even bieksa called it out and he’s cheering for you guys

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
for such a good skater the guy falls likes Bambi.

I’ve noticed this with his brother jack too.

I wouldn’t say they dive, but for phenomenal skaters they lose their balance and fall quite frequently

• Wow
Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I wouldn’t say they dive, but for phenomenal skaters they lose their balance and fall quite frequently
Of course they do they weigh 170 lbs. There's high school athletes that have 50lbs on them.

For the record, they're both excellent skaters just small and weak.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
You're also apparently allowed to stab Hoglander in the groin with your stick and slash Hughes in the face without recourse.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

Thought you were talking about Mcdavid at first.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

That wasn't a slewfoot. That was Kane carrying him into the boards. Regardless....if his foot never left the ice, he's going for the ride and going down.

Kanes left foot came up behind Hughes left calf and his right leg swung up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad