Player Discussion Evander Kane - Part 4

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
How timely. A clean slate after his latest charges were dropped with an opportunity for a new start.

I'm a big fan of Kane. Love his style of play. He never stops, is always a threat and he seemed to take less shots at bad angles this year. I have not heard of locker room discord so can I assume everything is okay there? It does appear that he gets along with his teammates - but what do I know.

At this point, I'd be fine if they kept him, assuming he will sign with Buffalo after this year. If not, the next best thing is rental at the trade deadline.

I'd also be happy if they could send him somewhere as part of a trade to secure a top 4 defenceman.

There are a few options with him and I'm sure he'll be at or near the top of what the new GM needs to consider.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If the Sabres add a Kane replacement in free agency like Oshie then I am all for moving Kane for a dman (not Tanev, I want a similar aged dman for Kane, along with one who won't miss 15+ games a season). I would target Brodin for Kane+. The Wild need a retool if they want to get past the first round. They had 6 players total score goals this post season. That's not going to cut it. Kanes game is literally bred for playoff hockey. Nino had a terrible post season, I think Kane would be a good addition to the Wild on a line with Nino. I know Brodin misses his fair share of games but I feel quite confident that over the next 3 seasons that Brodin will end up playing more games then Tanev will.

So if the Sabres can find a top 6 replacement for Kane who can come in and replace the 25 goals Kane provides then I'm down with moving Kane.

If there aren't any quality offers for Kane and he is open to a fair extension then I also would be happy with extending Kane granted that we improve the D. $5.75 mil x 5-6 years.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Does Kane fit any of the Pegula qualities he's looking for? I think he's gone if it was up to Pegula which it kinda is up to him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

The trade rumors aren't really surprising, especially in light of the Pegula's talk about "Good Character" in the Bills/Sabres pressers.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Kane is likely gone. The question is, what is the return. I think it'll be more of a "hockey deal" rather than let's say "picks/prospects".

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The trade rumors aren't really surprising, especially in light of the Pegula's talk about "Good Character" in the Bills/Sabres pressers.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Kane is likely gone. The question is, what is the return. I think it'll be more of a "hockey deal" rather than let's say "picks/prospects".

Given the cap being and not a lot of teams having a ton of space, I think the hockey trade route is the most likely strictly because the other team will likely want to send a contract back in the deal.

Vegas would be the most obvious team that could give up futures, yet I can't see them giving up their first ever first rounder for EK. So, there is that, too.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
a hockey trade...

Look for a Defensemen with 1 year left before UFA

I am not saying these are realistic targets, only that they match the criteria of a "hockey trade":

Boston - Chara
Detroit - Green
Montreal - Emelin
Tampa - Garrison
Columbus - J.Johnson
New Jersey - J.Moore
NY Islanders - Hickey
Pitt - I.Cole
Colorado - Beauchemin
Dallas - Hamhuis
WPG - Enstrom
Ana - Stoner, Fowler
LA - McNabb , Greene
SJ - Vlasic
VAN - Sbisa

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
a hockey trade...

I am not saying these are realistic targets, only that they match the criteria of a "hockey trade":

Boston - Chara
Detroit - Green
Montreal - Emelin
Tampa - Garrison
Columbus - J.Johnson
New Jersey - J.Moore
NY Islanders - Hickey
Pitt - I.Cole
Colorado - Beauchemin
Dallas - Hamhuis
WPG - Enstrom
Ana - Stoner, Fowler
LA - McNabb , Greene
SJ - Vlasic
VAN - Sbisa

Jack Johnson???

Maybe even through a trade with Vegas. Hypothetically Vegas selects Johnson from Columbus (maybe Vegas even gets a pick in exchange because it would help out Columbus' cap situation and allows them to keep Anderson/Karlsson/Korpisalo), then trades Johnson to Buffalo in exchange for Kane. Both have one year, similar cap hits, Kane is almost 5years younger.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Jack Johnson???

Maybe even through a trade with Vegas. Hypothetically Vegas selects Johnson from Columbus (maybe Vegas even gets a pick in exchange because it would help out Columbus' cap situation and allows them to keep Anderson/Karlsson/Korpisalo), then trades Johnson to Buffalo in exchange for Kane. Both have one year, similar cap hits, Kane is almost 5years younger.

yea. I'd entertain that...

I think the question is, would you prefer the non-hockey trade... the deadline rental value... a 2nd rounder...

Or would you prefer 1 year of a solid defensemen (with the potential to re-sign, if the fit is right).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't think the Sabres would be looking for another player with one year remaining before UFA who they have to quickly decide whether to sign long-term. I wonder if Botterill is looking to make a trade similar to the Neal/Hornqvist trade where most thought the Pens lost the deal on paper, but they acquired a player who was a much better fit for what the Pens wanted to do. That supposed "lesser" player would also have some term left on a deal.

LA does make a lot of sense for Kane. It's the type of city he wants. Gets him out of a fishbowl hockey market. They seem to value Kane's positive attributes. I'm thinking something around Martinez or Forbort, with small adds on either side.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah I definitely see LA as a feasible landing spot, they had a huge thing for Lucic and totally overpaid for him, so why wouldn't they want a far younger player who plays a similiar style game?

I also am calling it now, the return we get will be far better then what people are throwing around.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah I definitely see LA as a feasible landing spot, they had a huge thing for Lucic and totally overpaid for him, so why wouldn't they want a far younger player who plays a similiar style game?

I also am calling it now, the return we get will be far better then what people are throwing around.

Some people have thrown around Tanev... the return will be nowhere close to that good.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think the Sabres would be looking for another player with one year remaining before UFA who they have to quickly decide whether to sign long-term. I wonder if Botterill is looking to make a trade similar to the Neal/Hornqvist trade where most thought the Pens lost the deal on paper, but they acquired a player who was a much better fit for what the Pens wanted to do. That supposed "lesser" player would also have some term left on a deal.

LA does make a lot of sense for Kane. It's the type of city he wants. Gets him out of a fishbowl hockey market. They seem to value Kane's positive attributes. I'm thinking something around Martinez or Forbort, with small adds on either side.

You'd want Forbort? Lacks foot speed... can't carry the puck... just seems like a name acquisition (former 1st rounder), more than a "fit" acquisition

With Martinez, i think there are other avenues to acquire similar defensemen (CDH).

I agree, on paper, one of those guys is probably what LA is offering...

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You'd want Forbort? Lacks foot speed... can't carry the puck... just seems like a name acquisition (former 1st rounder), more than a "fit" acquisition

With Martinez, i think there are other avenues to acquire similar defensemen (CDH).

I didn't say anything about wanting Forbort. I just used him as an example of a lesser name on LA. I think certain people would ***** about Alec Martinez not being enough value for Kane, too.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Botterill walks into the LA GM's office

"I need a good return for Kane"

Rob Blake reaches up on his shelf for assets, pulls down a 1st round pick

"Perhaps this will please you. But, beware, it comes with a curse!"

Botterill: "That's bad"

Blake "It also comes with a free Forbort"

Botterill: "That's good!"

Blake: "Forbort is also cursed"

Botterill: "That's bad!"

Blake: "Forbort was a 1st round draft pick though"

Botterill "That's good!"

Blake: "Forbort lacks footspeed and has a low corsi number despite low QoC ratings"

Botterill: ::stares blankly::

Blake: "That's bad"

Botterill: "Can I go now?"

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
If we can get Muzzin off the Kings for a extended Kane.. Sure why not.

Yeah. When the Sabres find themselves without Josh Gorges, Muzzin will be able to step right into the role of 30-something, inadequate, overpaid, diminishing asset.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Given the cap being and not a lot of teams having a ton of space, I think the hockey trade route is the most likely strictly because the other team will likely want to send a contract back in the deal.

Vegas would be the most obvious team that could give up futures, yet I can't see them giving up their first ever first rounder for EK. So, there is that, too.

a hockey trade...

Boston - Chara
Detroit - Green
Montreal - Emelin
Tampa - Garrison
Columbus - J.Johnson
New Jersey - J.Moore
NY Islanders - Hickey
Pitt - I.Cole
Colorado - Beauchemin
Dallas - Hamhuis
WPG - Enstrom
Ana - Stoner, Fowler
LA - McNabb , Greene
SJ - Vlasic
VAN - Sbisa

yea. I'd entertain that...

I think the question is, would you prefer the non-hockey trade... the deadline rental value... a 2nd rounder...

Or would you prefer 1 year of a solid defensemen (with the potential to re-sign, if the fit is right).
Agree with both your thinking.

As to Jame's question, which way does Botterill lean?

How bullish is Botts that he can clone the Pen defense or some viable Sabre alternative via the "bargain bin / diamond in the rough" approach?

Sabres need a top-4 LHD NHL caliber d-man. The other NHL-caliber depth RHD (the Franson re-signed option, or similar), is the one I'm confident Botterill can swing somehow.

The real question, as Jim Bob notes, is, will it take the expansion draft, or fear of the expansion draft, to shake something loose and make it happen before the summer UFA date or not?

If I'm the GM, for the LHD gap in the lineup, if I feel I have a young, cheap, diamond-in-the-rough solution, but I don't know if that player will be able to fulfill that role immediately out of the gate in October / November, then I pursue the hockey trade of the type Jame/dkollidas noted.

I'd do a Kane plus M.Foligno for Jack Johnson and a CBJ LW prospect.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Botterill walks into the LA GM's office

"I need a good return for Kane"

Rob Blake reaches up on his shelf for assets, pulls down a 1st round pick

"Perhaps this will please you. But, beware, it comes with a curse!"

Botterill: "That's bad"

Blake "It also comes with a free Forbort"

Botterill: "That's good!"

Blake: "Forbort is also cursed"

Botterill: "That's bad!"

Blake: "Forbort was a 1st round draft pick though"

Botterill "That's good!"

Blake: "Forbort lacks footspeed and has a low corsi number despite low QoC ratings"

Botterill: ::stares blankly::

Blake: "That's bad"

Botterill: "Can I go now?"

You win the internet today, sir.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Yeah. When the Sabres find themselves without Josh Gorges, Muzzin will be able to step right into the role of 30-something, inadequate, overpaid, diminishing asset.

I'm not getting this analogy. Gorges is Gorges because he can't skate at an NHL level anymore. He was never anywhere near the skater Muzzin is.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

That might be a somewhat valid comparison if we were talking Martinez. But Muzzin is really in a different stratosphere from Georges. Unless Muzzin has to have his knee reconstructed like Georges I'm not too worried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad