Speculation: Evan Bouchard asking $11M AAV on his next deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NailsHoglander

Feb 20, 2024
Reminds me of the Sedin era Canucks. Inflating mediocre players stats and ego's. Need to move on from players that can't recognize that.

Mar 26, 2010
Hahaha what a joke. Nurse set the mark over there in Edmonton. You love to see it :laugh:

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
We have made it Oiler fans!

Rival fans are more locked into our players contract negotiations than we are.

Don't worry Flames fans, you wont have to worry about cap hits or the cap ceiling for some time....because your team is going to be terrible.
Do you want to know why fans of competing teams are interested in other team’s signings? It is because they set benchmarks for the signings of their own players.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Hahaha what a joke. Nurse set the mark over there in Edmonton. You love to see it :laugh:

Nurse's contract wouldnt have been that bad if they followed the protocol that you do if you draft and develop a player
ELC->Bridge-> Long Term Deal
But they doubled bridge him

and there is actually people in this thread that want to bridge Bouchard for a 2nd time and walk him to Unrestricted status in the quickest possible way and do the same thing as Nurse.

it's wild

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think there is a correlation here. Bouchard's 11M ask is because he produced over a point per game in both the regular season and the playoffs last year. If he does it again this year, hasn't he earned a contract that will pay him among the elite defensemen in the league?

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The Oilers need to sign this guy but he needs to realize his numbers are inflated playing with McDrai and Ekholm. Ekholm doesn't get enough credit but he's a defensive stud that helps Bouchard defensively and gives him the opportunity to be much more offensive. Now having McDrai upfront doesn't need explaining.

Talk of Nurse is nonsense his deal shouldn't matter that was a mistake and you can't give this guy more just because he's better. I think he's worth around 8 and maybe you could go up to 9 but that's the ceiling. He wants more trade him for a haul to someone that's willing to give him more. I think Bouchard probably knows this but of course he's gonna ask for the moon but I really believe he gets signed around 9 max on a long term deal.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yikes. Bouchard at $11/year and a 30+ Draisaitl at $14/year. Good luck.

That's $46.75 million wrapped up in Bouchard, Nurse, Draisaitl, and McDavid, and that's before McDavid's raise.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Go Bouch! Squeeze every penny that you can outta Katz. Think of how many Canada Goose parkas you will be able to buy... and those are pretty well required equipment for Edmonton winter survival.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The cap rise will basically more than cover McDavid and Bouchard's extensions, Elliot Friedman already saying next year's cap will be just under $93 million, in two years alone that's almost an increase of 10 million already, and the year after that will be even bigger because of the new TV deal.

The fact is the cap should be in the mid-90s already, it's only because of COVID that it was artificially held down, now that it's no longer held down, it will rapidly increase, likely to an average rate of 4 million+ a year for multiple years.

Draisaitl is already priced in to the Oilers cap even if the cap doesn't rise at all, because of Holland and Chiarelli being stupid, one silver lining is they basically already paid for Draisaitl's raise completely.

3.2 mill overage on Connor Brown + 1.9 on Neal (basically Lucic) buy-out comes off the cap next summer which will pay for almost the entirity of Draisaitl's raise. There's even 300k overage on Corey Perry, that brings Draisaitl from 8.5 salary to 13.9 ... so basically all but 100k of his raise is already priced in.

There's also Evander Kane who will be coming off the books, that's another 5 million.

They need about $10 mill to pay for Bouchard + McDavid's raises, but I would estimate they have close to 14-15 million coming in the next two years (4 mill cap rise after this year + 5 mill cap rise the following year + 5 mill Evander Kane off the books) in the same time period.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
The salary cap is going up every year. Nurse's cap hit is a lower percentage of the overall cap every year. Every year, that contract becomes slightly less of a problem - unless Nurse's play falls off a cliff (and I know some would say it has).

I agree that unloading him would be ideal. Well, ideal would be that he figures out his consistency issues and becomes the top pair defenseman he was signed to be, but I digress.
You can't have more then half you cap on 4 players and expect quality depth and on top of that Mcdavid next contract will be insane.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Bouchard isn’t ‘mediocre’, might not be worth 11M but he’s very good
Come on, man. You know that every player on the Oilers is mediocre to shades of bad, it's just McDavid that inflates every stat that gets tracked, and those that don't.

Edmonton Oilers?
More like Edmonton McProducts, amirite?

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't have more then half you cap on 4 players and expect quality depth and on top of that Mcdavid next contract will be insane.

Penguins won two Cups with that

Crosby 8.7
Malkin 9.5
Letang 7.5
MAF 5.75
Kessel 6.8

= 53% of Pittsburgh's cap on their 5 best players (the cap was 71.4 mill back then)

McDavid 16
Draisaitl 14
Bouchard 10.5
Hyman 5.5
Skinner 5 (?)

= 53% against a projected 97 million cap in two years

Can't really use this as an excuse.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Reminds me of the Sedin era Canucks. Inflating mediocre players stats and ego's. Need to move on from players that can't recognize that.

Nah, Bouchard actually produces when it matters (11 points against VAN in Round 2 for example, more than EP and Hughes COMBINED). Canucks meanwhile are still overpaying ghosts.

Reactions: PuckG

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can see very much now why Auston Matthews took a shorter deal, the cap in the first 3 years alone unleashed from being artificially restrained by COVID will likely increase by $13 million alone going from 83.5 to 96.5, by the time he signs his next deal the cap will be 105+ million.

Why sign a 8 year deal when the cap is 82.5 million only when you can do so when it's like 105 million.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
He is not better than Dahlin my god.

And Dahlins never even been in the playoffs so you can't say he wouldn't be

and im sorry but its easy to put up points when your playing with 2 of the best players in the world

Maybe do some research and look at Bouchards production before McDavid.

He's producing at the same rate he always has. Saying it's b/c of McDavid is nonsense.
Bouchard is a stud, not a byproduct like you're insinuating

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No crying here Bud, we have our top two dman locked up at a very team friendly price and the cap will be up to re-sign when the time comes ….I hope he bends the Oilers over hard…….👍🏻

Hughes is up in only 2 years past Bouchard, lol, he will probably ask for 14+ mill then.

You pay your top players and stop whining about that.

The rising cap basically will cover all these player asks anyway, too many people think the COVID economics of the NHL are the permanent reality when that's not the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad