Confirmed with Link: Ethan Bear signs 2-year $2M AAV

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
While I'm not saying I entirely disagree with you, I also think this has been a franchise that has been unable to properly learn how to draft and develop their own players. We always seem to be looking to flip players because they aren't coming along fast enough for easy free agent answers that never seem to work. The whole circle confuses me. I think giving up on Bear in favor of another high priced free agent is the wrong move given we're not very far removed from Bear being a godsend.

In my opinion, the biggest reason folks seem to be ready to move on are because he got exposed in the play ins and has had a typical sophomore slump. So I disagree that it isn't because of his recent play. We, like always, don't want to have any sort of patience with our own prospects and their development, despite him showing well last year as a rookie.

Barrie is doing exactly what Bear did for us last year. Came in with relatively low expectations, is currently doing well, and now people want to lock him up and move on from Bear, like they did with Bear over Larsson last year. I'm not saying it's the wrong move, but I just have a gut feeling that we'll regret moving him and then we'll be looking for another relatively young RHD a year or two down the road and be unhappy with Barrie and his new contract and thus repeat the same old cycle.
The problem that this franchise had for many years isn't only that they were unable to draft and develop their own players, they couldn't develop to the point where other teams were convinced our prospects were worth a damn.

Look at the Oilers historically and the prospects they did part with were never even on a trajectory to the NHL. They couldn't even identify their own assets.

What Barrie is doing this season isn't equal to what Bear did last season, it's potentially one of the most productive offensive campaigns the Edmonton Oilers have seen in decades.

Really? We spent how long looking for a right shot top 4 D? Better part of a decade . Traded Hall for one but apparently they are plentiful and easily acquired via FA every summer folks.
However long the Oilers 'looked' for a right shot top four D in the past is redundant. Ethan Bear is currently in the press box on the team's depth chart.

If it's going to require valuable minutes with the team's offensive drivers to 'develop' this player's game, you aren't necessarily putting the best product out on the ice. That's a problem. Going from Barrie to Bear next season is a step backwards.

What Bear was last season was a player that tread water in very favorable offensive situations. His numbers weren't anything to write home about ignoring the fact that he was a first year player. So the assumption here is that a very big part of the current valuation of this player is based solely on the idea that this player might get better.

That might happen. If it does, it'll take time and all of the ups and downs that go with running a 'developing' top four defenseman on a team that is simultaneously trying to compete in a very unforgiving league. If it doesn't, it would be another example of the team not identifying what they had at a point when the player's value was significant.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your not serious with this are you?
If your forwards are Leon Draisaitl or Connor McDavid, most defensemen in the NHL would consider those minutes favorable. By no means would they be easy, but that's how you can find yourself on the score-sheet in Edmonton.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
At this point he shouldn't be protected in the expansion draft. He needs to spend a game or two in the press box and ease back into the lineup with 10-12 minutes per game to rebuild his game which has deteriorated to not even NHL calibre this year. Still time for him to turn it around, but he's long past earning more than bottom pairing ice time and being a regular in the line up.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If your forwards are Leon Draisaitl or Connor McDavid, most defensemen in the NHL would consider those minutes favorable. By no means would they be easy, but that's how you can find yourself in the score-sheet in Edmonton.
You must be mixing up Bear and Benning...

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If your forwards are Leon Draisaitl or Connor McDavid, most defensemen in the NHL would consider those minutes favorable. By no means would they be easy, but that's how you can find yourself in the score-sheet in Edmonton.
Bear played the toughest minutes of any rookie d man in the nhl last year.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Bear played the toughest minutes of any rookie d man in the nhl last year.
I'm not taking that away from him. But when you say he was only a rookie, there's this assumption that is guaranteed there will be growth. There isn't.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not taking that away from him. But when you say he was only a rookie, there's this assumption that is guaranteed there will be growth. There isn't.
You could say that about any young player really. There’s definitely evidence of a good player. He’s had tremendous success at every level including the nhl so far. He’s cost controlled. Every arrow points towards keeping him.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That's the cost of building a truly great team. You will never do it scavenging the bargain bin. There will be veterans there who are more reliable, more of a sure thing such as Koekkoek, but nothing replaces a young Dman who starts clicking. We just have to let situations like Bear play themselves out.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You could say that about any young player really. There’s definitely evidence of a good player. He’s had tremendous success at every level including the nhl so far. He’s cost controlled. Every arrow points towards keeping him.
But we're not talking about a young player. We're talking about a top four NHL defenseman that has to continue being a top four NHL defenseman though. Cost control is one thing, but I'm more interested in icing the best possible NHL product.

With Evan Bouchard developing quicker than anticipated, I don't see a giant need for more undersized puck-moving defensemen on this roster long-term unless they're bringing offense at a considerable rate.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He looked fine before the injury, and it's been 3 bad games as a team vs Toronto and now Bear's the scapegoat lol
He looked ok for about 5 or 6 games this year I agree, but that was also while paired with our top Dman. There's no question Bear has showed a mixed bag so far in the NHL. He started strong last year and tailed off hard in the 2nd half of the season. This year it was bad then good, then really really bad since returning from injury. I'm not writing him off, but he needs to be used sparingly until his game gets back to where it needs to be. Currently he's hurting the team by playing more than bottom pairing minutes and being in the line up every night. Until he or one of the other struggling D string together a good stretch of games they should be on a revolving door between press box and 10-12 minutes of ice time. They'll be out of a playoff spot in less than a week if they don't start stringing together some wins.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Things change so fast. 20 games ago Bear was a priority who needs to be protected in the expansion draft, now he's not even worth protecting, and in a month he may be back to being viewed as a core piece. All within a few months LOL.

Personally I think people let the games get them too down sometimes. Win a few and everyone's awesome....lose a few games and everyone's trash.

space321

May 11, 2011
He looked ok for about 5 or 6 games this year I agree, but that was also while paired with our top Dman. There's no question Bear has showed a mixed bag so far in the NHL. He started strong last year and tailed off hard in the 2nd half of the season. This year it was bad then good, then really really bad since returning from injury. I'm not writing him off, but he needs to be used sparingly until his game gets back to where it needs to be. Currently he's hurting the team by playing more than bottom pairing minutes and being in the line up every night. Until he or one of the other struggling D string together a good stretch of games they should be on a revolving door between press box and 10-12 minutes of ice time. They'll be out of a playoff spot in less than a week if they don't start stringing together some wins.

We don't have the defensive depth to be revolving players and giving them 12 minutes of ice time.

Only Nurse can be trusted for 25 minutes per game. Barrie is meh on defense, but offensively should earn him about 20 minutes per game.

Russell and Larsson are just pylons and warm bodies. They hurt the team as well just by being out there because you can expect to be consistently hemmed in our own zone, then gush over their blocked shot stats. Seriously f*** blocked shots, you won't have to block shots if the other team doesn't have the puck. You want to play them 20 minutes and put Bouchard/Bear/Jones/Lagesson on 12 minutes be my guest, but it won't be pretty.

Young defensemen are streaky, just have to deal with it. It's not Bear's fault we scored a grand f***ing total of 1 goal in 3 games.

space321

May 11, 2011

We don't have the defensive depth to be revolving players and giving them 12 minutes of ice time.

Only Nurse can be trusted for 25 minutes per game. Barrie is meh on defense, but offensively should earn him about 20 minutes per game.

Russell and Larsson are just pylons and warm bodies. They hurt the team as well just by being out there because you can expect to be consistently hemmed in our own zone, then gush over their blocked shot stats. Seriously f*** blocked shots, you won't have to block shots if the other team doesn't have the puck. You want to play them 20 minutes and put Bouchard/Bear/Jones/Lagesson on 12 minutes be my guest, but it won't be pretty.

Young defensemen are streaky, just have to deal with it. I'd rather have players who can actually contribute than players who I know won't contribute (ie. KRussell). It's not Bear's fault we scored a grand f***ing total of 1 goal in 3 games.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Young defensemen are streaky, just have to deal with it. I'd rather have players who can actually contribute than players who I know won't contribute (ie. KRussell). It's not Bear's fault we scored a grand f***ing total of 1 goal in 3 games.
No argument from me on Kris Russell I think the guy sucks, but at the same time Bear was our worst defenceman by far against Toronto. I'm sure he'll snap out of it but right now he doesn't deserve more than bottom pairing minutes the way he's playing. Caleb Jones has also be terrible. Maybe he was our worst defenceman it was neck and neck between those two.

I get that we don't have the luxury of sheltering some of the struggling young guys, but based off the last 3 games Bear and Jones should both be out against Calgary and both Lagesson (who looked better than Bear and Jones prior to his injury) and Bouchard should be in their place. Bear will get his chance to redeem himself but it shouldn't be tomorrow night, he needs to sit and clean up the numerous mistakes he was making the past 3 games.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Things change so fast. 20 games ago Bear was a priority who needs to be protected in the expansion draft, now he's not even worth protecting, and in a month he may be back to being viewed as a core piece. All within a few months LOL.

Personally I think people let the games get them too down sometimes. Win a few and everyone's awesome....lose a few games and everyone's trash.
I've gone on record before the season started saying Bear's 2nd half last year wasn't very good, but I thought it was mostly just a young inexperienced defender getting worn down with a lot of responsibility in the NHL as a rookie. To be honest that probably was the case.

This year he's been off in more ways than one. His puck moving hasn't been good which needs to be for him to be effective. His defensive reads have been very poor, and he looks slower than last year getting beat in a lot of foot races and beat wide multiple times on more than a few nights.

I think his injuries have taken a toll on him this year and really prevented him from getting into a groove, but if he doesn't find it again this year there's going to be tough decisions to make for the expansion draft. Lagesson in my mind has given him a run for his money so far and depending on Klefbom's status we may not have a spot to protect both. Jones in my mind has zero chance of being protected unless his play starts improving drastically.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

HF thing.

Hot Take Mania.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016

I think it's more of a game by game basis. Hell sometimes it's on a period by period or goal by goal basis.

Certainly more often than most folks change their underpants.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I keep laggs over bear.
Trade Bear while he has value. Use him to get Neal's contract off the books.
If you could include Neal at full cost in a deal with Bear I'd definitely consider it, otherwise I think we'll regret trading him.

He's shown he has it and I don't think that just permanently goes away. Or maybe it does, I dunno.

Reactions: Aerchon

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

You expect HFOil to be even-keeled?

tenor.gif

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Right now our defence is to young. We technically have 4 rookie D on the main roster right now out of 8 D. I don’t think we put all 4 in during the same game but we’ve done 3 before. Most teams with good D rarely play more then 1 rookie D during a game.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad