23. Duncan Keith
24. Victor Hedman
25. Jonathan Quick

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Fleury over Vasilevskiy is…umm, interesting..

As a Habs fan, I’ll die on the hill that Price was the superior goaltender to Quick but had MUCH less support and had to play behind some really bad defensive groups. Bergevin wasting this man’s prime is something I don’t think I’ll ever get over. But still, Quick has two Cups and played a huge role in those runs, so he’s not exactly out of place here.

Stamkos at 12 seems a bit high at first glance, but I haven’t fully analyzed everything yet so maybe that’s right.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
To note january 1, 2001 to december 31, 2100...

Notable absent, for the big point getter:

Giroux (top 10 in points in the 21th century)
H. Sedin
Backstrom
Getzlaf
Tavares
St-Louis

All around:
Hossa
Marchand
Zetterberg
Toews !

goalscorer:
Kovalchuck, but he went in the KHL, Perry has not place... Pavelski has the most playoff goals of the 21th century

Stamkos above Kopitar was the first things catching my eye, than saw that he was above a lot of people.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Ds notable miss:
Doughty ((with where Hedman end up being, not easy to make the list)
Makar (still quite early for him, obviously the Fox-Hughes as well)
Josi-Pronger-Weber

It is a near impossible list to please, specially when you mix all position and role together, Kucherov can feel low vs say a Matthews considering their relative playoff success), Toews seem at some point would have pop in, Fleury seem high I am guessing just so much volume with some interesting peak that end up adding up but who do not take Vasilevskiy for a run,

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I can't believe that a list with Fleury ahead of Iginla was not only made, but then proofread by the editor and allowed to be posted online for all to see

Iginla's resume is on-par with Patrick Kane's

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Playoff wins

Fleury...: 92
Vasi.....: 66
Brodeur..: 63
Lundqvist: 61

RS wins
Fleury...: 561
Luongo...: 480
Lundqvist: 459
Brodeur..: 429

---------
They must value playing a lot of game and having good record has the team goaltender.........

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Chara as best D:

1722409098314.png

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I heard about this yesterday because a friend was shocked by Kane ahead of Lidstrom. Even disregarding Lidstrom's strong 90s career.... yeah. Kane is quite overrated. In a few years the brilliant minds still screaming that Toews is overrated will even catch on to that I imagine. He's still not as overrated as Fleury is of course.

I will stay tuned to see if the typical cries about the Canadian media get thrown at ESPN.

I've seen a few media things now with Kane above Malkin.

Am I alone in thinking not only is Malkin still ahead, but it's a fairly significant gap?

Malkin should easily be ahead of Kane. Malkin has gotten underrated over the years and Kane gets a lot out of that hot stretch the propelled him to the Hart/Ross.

It's not a good list but that isn't shocking. Fleury should be dropped, Price and Makar should be there, Toews should be there, Datsyuk should be higher, Zetterberg should be on the list, Bergeron should be a bit lower, Malkin should be a lock for 3, St. Louis should probably be there, Doughty should be there even if it comes at Keith's expense, Kucherov should be higher.

I'm also amused that there are only four players generally classified as wingers, and the article managed to get three of those players (Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov) wrong in terms of which wing they play.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It's not a good list but that isn't shocking. Fleury should be dropped, Price and Makar should be there, Toews should be there, Datsyuk should be higher, Zetterberg should be on the list, Bergeron should be a bit lower, Malkin should be a lock for 3, St. Louis should probably be there, Doughty should be there even if it comes at Keith's expense, Kucherov should be higher.

I'm also amused that there are only four players generally classified as wingers, and the article managed to get three of those players (Ovechkin, Kane, Kucherov) wrong in terms of which wing they play.

Would you have him ahead of Ovechkin or McDavid?

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Would you have him ahead of Ovechkin or McDavid?
That gave me a laugh, I forgot about McDavid. Malkin should be a lock for four. Malkin was clearly the number three of the post-lockout period for me, but yeah McDavid is the strong number one for the subsequent generation.

I also just realized that Pronger isn't there. Even disregarding his 2000 season that seems wrong.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Playoff wins

Fleury...: 92
Vasi.....: 66
Brodeur..: 63
Lundqvist: 61

RS wins
Fleury...: 561
Luongo...: 480
Lundqvist: 459
Brodeur..: 429

---------
They must value playing a lot of game and having good record has the team goaltender.........

They value views.

Controversy over accuracy.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Kane 13 spots ahead of Kucherov?
Starting with #4, yes, it gets really bad. Really cannot be taken very seriously.
MacKinnon and Kane for sure

Kane won 3 cups, has the most points in the 2010s in the regular seasons, second in the playoff, post operation 17th season in a career that started with the Calder he is still able to score, great on a stacked team with a Panarin, great once the Hawks were an offensive hole, if something like clutch exist he had it.

No problem with Malkin (if he does not miss that many game he would be there) or old Lidstrom > Kane, but acting like it is scandalous to have him really high seem a stretch, until recently he felt like a clear top 4 of the 21th century, Kucherov-Mack and specially McDavid throwing wrench at it now.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
13. Leon Draisaitl
14. Joe Thornton
15. Auston Matthews

19. Andrei Vasilevskiy
20. Jarome Iginla

...... absurd.

The clear leader in assists (by far) in the first decade of this century, and who had impact as an add-on layer later in the 2010's; and the '02 Olympic hero, clear NHL goal-scoring leader of the first decade of this century...

And my HOSSA... 4th in NHL PLAYOFF POINTS THIS CENTURY, is nowhere on the list.

No, these aren't stat picks. I'm just trying to appeal to analytic youngums who weren't there or are eating up the recency bias.

Last edited:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Toews was the one that really caught me off-guard. His entire career would be encapsulated in this ranking and he went from one of the top 100 players ever on the NHL list to not even making the top 25 of this century on this list.

Reactions: Matsun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad