ESPN, NBC, And Amazon Nearing Agreement On 11 Year NBA Media Rights For Around 76 Billion Dollars

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
That TV money is just obscene. How can these media companies make money off these deals? Their ratings are closer to the NHL than NFL. All three of these companies are now paying more than what they pay the NFL per year, deals that were just entered into last year. Amazon is paying $600m more, ESPN is paying $100m more (as an aside, why on earth is their NFL deal the most expensive one?), and NBC is paying $450m more. What is the thought process here?
Well the bubble of sports rights will eventually burst so leagues got to get as much cash as they can now. For the moment the move seems to be broadcast + streaming with some cable since it's still alive but again we don't know for how long it's a long transitional period.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I know I know but it feels like the kind of money they wouldn't use if they were matching NBA rights or getting another package.

Joe from Maine

Jun 6, 2019
76 Billion/11 year deal for the NBA is probably good news for the NHL. Live sports are more and more of a value to these networks and streaming services. Some basic math is the new NHL deal a few years ago came in at about 23% yearly of the NBA media rights deal that was in place. If that trend continues the new NHL TV media rights deal in 2028 would be over 1.5 billion a year in the US and well over 2 billion with Canada rights. That would increase each teams revenue from national TV/media rights deal from 30 million a year currently to around 65-70 million. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but that is how these deals have been trending.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought this WBD deal is US only and they're doing it to add to their current Eurosport deal

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
76 Billion/11 year deal for the NBA is probably good news for the NHL. Live sports are more and more of a value to these networks and streaming services. Some basic math is the new NHL deal a few years ago came in at about 23% yearly of the NBA media rights deal that was in place. If that trend continues the new NHL TV media rights deal in 2028 would be over 1.5 billion a year in the US and well over 2 billion with Canada rights. That would increase each teams revenue from national TV/media rights deal from 30 million a year currently to around 65-70 million. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but that is how these deals have been trending.
It's wishful thinking to assume it will be a trend given the media landscape is in a state of flux.

NBA deal is happening when network/cable tv is trying to hang on to their last 2 groups of viewers: live sports and news. Plus, they're also looking to boost their subs in their fledging streaming platforms. And we have tech-owned platforms taking their first steps into live sports.

When US NHL deal ends in 2028, it is hard to see the networks/cable still having the funds & viewers to over pay for sports rights. At best, their streaming platforms have started to break-even/make a bit of coin. So, that only leaves the tech companies to fill the void.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
It's wishful thinking to assume it will be a trend given the media landscape is in a state of flux.

NBA deal is happening when network/cable tv is trying to hang on to their last 2 groups of viewers: live sports and news. Plus, they're also looking to boost their subs in their fledging streaming platforms. And we have tech-owned platforms taking their first steps into live sports.

When US NHL deal ends in 2028, it is hard to see the networks/cable still having the funds & viewers to over pay for sports rights. At best, their streaming platforms have started to break-even/make a bit of coin. So, that only leaves the tech companies to fill the void.
Also nhl playoff games get beat out by the wnba games.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

I expect Amazon will be a player both in US and Canada media rights deal. The real question for the NHL will be WBD and whether they will even have the same structure by the time 2028 rolls around. The NHL’s biggest advantage is that is undervalued to a degree. Even if ESPN pays 800 million (double the current amount), it’s not that bad for them.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Stern had admitted the NBA gave up on Vancouver market too soon. Definitely would’ve been a good NBA market imo had they eventually turned it around like they did in Memphis.
But to get a team in Vancouver, a Canadian concern has to throw around maybe a billion. I’m not seeing it.

Well, I’m seeing that more than the Big Z concept of having 3 games run simultaneously on American OTA networks 24/7. Then watch as Cricket sweeps the nation.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019

Well there's no talk of the terms but they do say "his new expansive deal – building on Eurosport’s 35-year relationship with Roland-Garros – will make Warner Bros. Discovery the largest global broadcast partner to Roland-Garros and it will bring fans the most comprehensive coverage of the prestigious event ever in the United States."

Per the agreement, TNT Sports will exclusively present all live action from the Parisian Grand Slam in the U.S. including:

• Featured live matches on TNT, with additional live coverage across TBS and truTV;
  • truTV with all-day studio, match and whiparound coverage;
  • All live matches available on Max – nearly 900 matches across all competitions – including simulcasts of matches airing on TNT, TBS and truTV;
  • In-depth highlights, behind-the-scenes and ancillary content airing across all platforms (TNT, TBS, truTV, Max, Bleacher Report, House of Highlights and HighlightHER).

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
WNBA games also beat NBA Playoffs games with that logic but I'm sure the excuse there is they were on NBA TV...
Monday (6/10) sports viewership: Cup Final, NCAA baseball, Clark Fever and more

Elsewhere Monday, NBA TV averaged 424,000 for a Fever-Sun WNBA regular season game, trailing only Fever-Liberty earlier this month (430K) as the largest WNBA audience ever on the network (which became Nielsen rated in 2010). Caitlin Clark and the Fever have played in the network’s top four games.

Does this count? Or the NHL is in shambles because of one game the WNBA had a bigger number than a playoff game?

Reactions: Reaser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad