ESPN future power rankings for all 32 teams

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Its not to call them out. I like Columbus. But to put them that high and Montréal 27th is absurd. Montreal should easily be top 10 too. This list makes zero sense, follows no rules, while claiming too.
you just have to find out how you can fit all 32 teams into the top 10.

then you are done.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So many folks arguing about a list developed from a defective OUIJA board.

To be fair, the board itself only accounts for 35% of the defect.

There’s also 25% for the size and texture of the hands using it, 15% for the board game company’s financial stability, and 25% for the quality of the questions asked.

• Haha
Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Here are the top/bottom of the rankings:

Don't make a ton of sense in many instances...Detroit, Buffalo & Columbus as top 10 teams when it's far from certain they'll even make the playoffs the next year or two? Maybe they'll both be in good shape 3 years from now, but this is supposed to measure success over the next 3 seasons.

in looking at the rankings it’s skewed toward ages of team.

some of the bottom teams like Boston, pittsburgh, and Washington have looming rebuilding needs coming up with little prosprct depth.

the ones at the top have had recent high draft picks with a strong 25 and under team.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
An aging core? All these cores outside of Tampa are in their mid to late 20s and even the guys in Tampa's core aren't significantly declining by any means not to the point where they fall off the face of the earth in the next few years. Only on HF can players 26-29 years old be considered "aging".

Also, who are all these young and upcoming stars in Seattle's core? Their core is just as old as the ones from Colorado, Edmonton and Toronto and this isn't even long term future we're talking about, it's the next 3 years, the present and near future.
Seattle draftEd 2 centers high in the draft…Beneirs and Wright.
new jersey has Nico snd Hughes

colorado has an older Mackinnon snd Bynum and Makar. Thr uncertainty is the future prospect pool thru have. They have been poor at drafting high outside the top 5. after MR They had many misses.

MacKinnon didn't even have an elite season until draft +5.

Shane Wright didn't make the NHL draft +1.

Call me crazy but I take Mackinnon 28-32 over Shane Wright 19-23 any day of the week.
Except from an ROI wright is prbably better with 3 yrs of an ELC coming up.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
ESPN rated all 32 teams. These rankings consider how teams are set up for success this season as well as the next three seasons. We had a panel of writers and editors rate each team in four categories -- roster (with an emphasis on players 26 and under); prospects; cap situation and contracts; and front office, ownership and coaching.

Definitely some interesting talking points with these rankings

ESPN doing their Seider and Raymond overrating thing. Detroit isn’t even close to a contender in the next few seasons.

Reactions: Three On Zero

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The Lightning could very well win another title within those 3 years. I don't understand how they're not higher

If you make a list as bad as this, you will get tons of hits.

I'm not saying that's why ESPN is the way it is when it comes to the NHL.

Not sure why anyone would care about an article like this from ESPN, but I guess it's something to talk about even though pretty much any NHL fan is dumbfounded by it.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
disappointed-fridge.gif

paywalled....
You were excited for ESPN hockey content?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Here are the top/bottom of the rankings:

Don't make a ton of sense in many instances...Detroit, Buffalo & Columbus as top 10 teams when it's far from certain they'll even make the playoffs the next year or two? Maybe they'll both be in good shape 3 years from now, but this is supposed to measure success over the next 3 seasons.

How in the world the Pens are not bottom 10 in 3 years ? The team is the worst in the league in 3 years with their stars retiring and nothing in the pipeline

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
How in the world the Pens are not bottom 10 in 3 years ? The team is the worst in the league in 3 years with their stars retiring and nothing in the pipeline

The list is not where team will be 3 years from now, but how teams will do over the next 3 (possibly 4 - wording is unclear) years.

Pens will be in for a world of hurt in a few years, but they can make some runs at the playoffs in the meantime.

And the list as a whole just sucks overall. ESPN gonna ESPN.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The list is not where team will be 3 years from now, but how teams will do over the next 3 (possibly 4 - wording is unclear) years.

Pens will be in for a world of hurt in a few years, but they can make some runs at the playoffs in the meantime.

And the list as a whole just sucks overall. ESPN gonna ESPN.
It sets the whole thing up talking about future power rankings, then pivots for a special few teams.

If you can tell me right now that the Pens have a prospect pool relative to their ranking... I'll laugh and honestly ignore it. They don't even have a better pool than the Caps, a team that got pretty buried by the same ranks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad