Erik Karlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Milan the God*

50-60 point defenseman who's solid in his own zone, despite his size, and can be a quarterback for a powerplay. He's showed a lot of promise and potential this season. He's been smart in all there zones since being recalled and some of the stuff he does on the ice is veteran-like. He's a treat to watch because the stats don't tell the story about this kid.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Nope. No he won't.

Yeah, he will.

Karlsson is going to be very very very good. He will easily make the Swedish Olympic team in 4 years and will be the Sens' undisputed #1 defenseman by the end of next season.

RStar*

Yeah, he will.

Karlsson is going to be very very very good. He will easily make the Swedish Olympic team in 4 years and will be the Sens' undisputed #1 defenseman by the end of next season.

I'm willing to bet he won't be the Sens undisputed #1 Dman by the end of next season.

I'm also willing to bet that the whole Neidermayer, Green, etc comparisons will have calmed down quite a bit.

Manny*

I'm willing to bet he won't be the Sens undisputed #1 Dman by the end of next season.

I'm also willing to bet that the whole Neidermayer, Green, etc comparisons will have calmed down quite a bit.

I agree that he's being a tad overrated, but becoming Ottawa's number one won't be very hard. Before his injury, I considered him our third best behind Phillips and Volchenkov*. With Phillips on the decline, and Karlsson improving at such a fast rate, I think it's not only possible, but quite likely.

* Karlsson and Volchenkov were tied for second place at one point, in my opinion. However, Android was more consistent, so I give him a slight edge.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
My guess is the people downplaying Karlsson haven't seen him play lately. You can immediately tell the difference in the Sens team when he went out to injury. I honestly feel the comparisons to Rafalski aren't that accurate...I've seen Rafalski in his defensive end and he can be very easily beaten and pushed around. Karlsson has stood up to guys over 6'3" because he never gives up and there aren't many forwards who can match his speed.

I personally think he will be Ottawa's #1 without a doubt by the end of next season, considering he's probably #3 now and I don't remember a player who learns as fast as he does since Alfredsson.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Who's downplaying Karlsson? Everybody knows he's gonna be a star, if he isn't already.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
For every game since his benching in Christmas he has been Ottawa's defencemen while noticeably being better and doing more more and special things every game. The game he got injured may have been his best.

If he played the way he has for the rest of his career like hes played all of his last 15, he'll be an all star calibre defencemen.

Fortunately for Ottawa, he'll be 180-185 pounds in 2-3 years and likely continuously developing the transfer of his enormous skill into gameplay like he has been all year.

"Most in season development Ive ever seen"
-Bryan Murray

His potential is to be Swedens top defencemen at the international level. Being anything less than a top 4 on that national team would be shocking. Although Sweden could be a power with the likes of Adam Larssen coming to the fold.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

What are you basing this on? Just wondering...

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This kid has incredible potential. Watching him pre-benching I was lamenting that if this kid could possibly put on some beef and learn some of the ins and outs of the defensive zone, he'd be unstoppable - and right on cue, he comes back from the press box and starts to exhibit a swagger both in the offensive zone and more specifically in the defensive zone. He's already incredibly good at using his stick to take pucks from opponents and is quick enough to turn that play into a transition for the Sens. He's also off the charts in terms of hockey IQ - I've heard people compare his hockey IQ to Alfredsson's already, which I personally find hard to believe, but that shows how incredible the talent is within this kid.

His point totals aren't exactly screaming elite offensive D-man, but believe me, this kid has it and more. His passes are crisp and confident, usually flipping up the neutral zone to hit a player in full stride. He also has the knack of the 'slap pass' which is hard for vets to achieve, let alone wet-behind-the-ear rookies.

Lastly, his shot is a cannon, he just doesn't use it enough...yet. He will and when he does, combined with the weight that he'll inevitably gain, he'll be a force in the Eastern Conference for the next decade plus.

People with comments such as 'no he won't' in response to will he be as good as Rafalski simple haven't watched him recently. And that's fine, probably shouldn't be commenting, but he's right in that area of talent + desire.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The special things hes exhibited over the his last 15 or so games are things you cannot teach and there things Im hardpressed to beleive that can just disapear. They gave him a kick in the pants when they benched him looking for more consistent intensity, it had nothing to do with poor play either, he was wear they thought he would be, no one expected the turn around following the benching. Since then he had basically been flawless every second he was on the ice while doing things offensively that you only see from the premier offensive defencemen in the league.

I mean this isnt Eberle were talking about who hasnt done it yet at the NHL level. Its not Schenn were talking about who although had a great rookie season, hasnt really spelt the word "special" with his gameplay yet. For every second he was on the ice since his benching EKs appeared like a budding star.

If he played in Van, Toronto, MTL, or a top team with tons of attention right now, you have no idea how rampant the comparisons would be...

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Karlsson reminds me of Kaberle, get ready for years worth of trade proposals.

He looks like a solid number 2 d man.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
His potential is to be Swedens top defencemen at the international level. Being anything less than a top 4 on that national team would be shocking. Although Sweden could be a power with the likes of Adam Larssen coming to the fold.

Adam Larsson and OEL would probably be no 1 and 2 because of their tremendous 2-way ability. Karlsson and Hedman no 3 and 4. And that would be a scary good crop of d-men.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad