Erik Karlsson Vs Brian Leetch

Who is better?

• Total voters

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ok, so Leetch led his team in points, +\- (EK was +13 second best was +5), goals for and goals against, shots, 2nd in takeaways (EK only behind Stone) and blocks, was on the ice on every single important goal (important as in game winning, game tying goal) except one?

Edit: Also, '94 was still in the high scoring early 90's, not in the DP era

Leetch's playoff run is definitely a top 5 playoff performance by a dman of all time, there's no shame in Karlsson's run not quite being at the same level, although it's probably closer than one would think just because of the difference in scoring between the eras and the amount of support each player had.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The playoff runs are apples and oranges.

Leetch distinguished himself on the best team in the league.

Karlsson dragged a rather pedestrian team kicking and screaming almost to the SCF.

A better comparison to Karlsson's 2017 heroics would be Leetch putting up 79 points in 2000-01 on a horrendous Rangers team. IMO that was his best season.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
this is like asking me to vote for my favorite child

Karlsson everrrrr so slightly..

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
They might be close right now, but Karlsson will go down as the superior player in the end.

Trendkill101

May 27, 2013
Brian Leetch.

Conn Smythe Winner.

Bourque
Housley
Stevens
Murphy
Chelios
MacInnis
Lidstrom

The things that Leetch could do in the dead puck era was incredible, he was the best Dman I ever saw going through teams like he could(I didn't see Orr).

Speaking of the Conn Smythe Trophy, did you know it's only been handed out to a member of the losing team in the finals 5 times (only 1 of which was a skater).

As far as I can tell this season Erik Karlsson became the first player to ever receive a Conn Smythe vote despite not even making it to the finals.

Considering he's never played for a Stanley Cup team I'd say this is a relevant point when bringing someone else's Conn Smythe trophies into the equation.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Transplant the 2 players and Ottawa doesn't see the playoffs while the rags win multiple cups. Leetch was a beauty but this isn't close.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Speaking of the Conn Smythe Trophy, did you know it's only been handed out to a member of the losing team in the finals 5 times (only 1 of which was a skater).

As far as I can tell this season Erik Karlsson became the first player to ever receive a Conn Smythe vote despite not even making it to the finals.

Considering he's never played for a Stanley Cup team I'd say this is a relevant point when bringing someone else's Conn Smythe trophies into the equation.

Forsberg has done that.

Trendkill101

May 27, 2013
Forsberg has done that.

Are you sure? Forsberg is my all time favorite player and I can't find any info supporting this? It wouldn't surprise me because I know he was one of the favorites in 1999 and 2002 before the Avs were eliminated early those years, but I see no articles/posts supporting this. Also that doesn't mean it's not true (I hope it is) as there aren't a lot of articles listing the voting ballots for any year. Just curious, as a big time Forsberg fan I would like to know for certain.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Close. I'm leaning Karlsson tbh, and Leetch is my favorite player of all-time.

The fact that this is close shows you how great/underrated Leetch was because EK is a legit Hart-caliber player.

I'm leaning to Leetch still - but that shows how highly I think of Karlsson as Leetch is one of my all-time favourites. Karlsson is amazing and things are said and done - I'd expect him higher but... Leetch was incredibly good.
Leetch and Park are probably the two most under-rated d-men in my lifetime - because they were over-shadowed by the two greatest d-men. And probably third best I've seen - Potvin.

One thing I think about Leetch is that the NHL nowadays is taylor-made for the style he played. Much more than during his career. If he played a decade later we'd think of him like Lidstrom, in that tier just behind Bourque.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Having watched both, Karlsson is a better player than Leetch was.

I don't think Leetch gets enough credit because he put up outstanding numbers in his prime, though it was a very different era and he played on some stacked teams. Like, look at the roster of the 93-94 Rangers. As dominant as he was, he had a lot to work with.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
Leetch by a tad. Skills, skating on par. Leetch was a slightly better goal scorer and was extremely clutch. Karlsson's defensive game isn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be, but he does have a penchant for making some horrific plays and Leetch rarely did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad