Rumor: Erik Karlsson Mega Thread III - All rumors/speculation/proposals go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Yeah I think we need a defensive top 2 d-man. Subban is elite offensively but if we want a high offensive guy at the cost of turnovers; I'm fine with the lesser of Subban in Gardiner (if the cost for the upgrade is basically Nylander, Grundstrom, Carrick, 1st) That is insane. HARD no actually.

Subban is elite offensively and defensively.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Ottawa makes out like bandits in this deal - I would take out Fabbro and add maybe a second from NSH

Toronto: Subban
Ottawa: Nylander, 1st (TOR), 2nd (NSH), Zaitsev
Nashville: Karlsson (extended).

would be my counter offer.

Nylander is my favourite player but Subban would be a great fit in his hometown.

Rielly - Subban
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Ozhiganov/Carrick

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Wouldn't do PK for Nylander straight up from a Leafs perspective, so easy pass.

Never trade a skilled forward for an aging D man.

I wouldn’t call 29 aging, but I think it would be wiser to trade for a younger guy if you’re moving Nylander. You’d probably prefer a guy who is 26ish.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Said it before, and I will say it again. . .

To PHI:
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan ($2.5 million retained)

To OTT:
Wayne Simmonds
Travis Sanheim
Andrew MacDonald
Morgan Frost
Conditional 2019 1st (becomes 2019 2nd if Karlsson does not extend before June 15, 2019)

Assuming all goes well:

Giroux-Couturier-Ryan
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Laughton-Konecny
Raffl-Lehtera-Weise
Weal, Vecchione

Karlsson-Provorov
Gostisbehere-Gudas
Folin-Myers
Hagg

Elliott
Neuvirth

Goaltending is crap until Hart or Sandstrom win the #1 job, but the top-9 forwards and top D pairing would be the best in the league.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

To PHI:
Erik Karlsson

To OTT:
Wayne Simmonds
Travis Sanheim
Andrew MacDonald
Morgan Frost
Conditional 2019 1st (becomes 2019 2nd if Karlsson does not extend before June 15, 2019)

Assuming all goes well:

Giroux-Couturier-Ryan
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Lehtera-Weise
Weal, Vecchione

Karlsson-Provorov
Gostisbehere-Gudas
Folin-Myers
Hagg

Elliott
Neuvirth

Goaltending is crap until Hart or Sandstrom win the #1 job, but the top-9 forwards and top D pairing would be the best in the league.

That might literally be the worst serious offer I’ve seen for EK.

Reactions: bert

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
From a Preds POV, the difference in upgrading from Subban to Karlsson is not Fabbro.

if it was a 1st rd pick insteadwhat would your thoughts be?

subban is a 50-60pt dman at his best, Karlsson is a 70-80pt dman at his best (ppg actually)
whats the value of an extra 5-10g/20pts from the back end?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I wouldn’t call 29 aging, but I think it would be wiser to trade for a younger guy if you’re moving Nylander. You’d probably prefer a guy who is 26ish.
problem being what kind of guy like that is available ?

most of the 25-27ish guys that are on the market arent what we need (hello justin faulk)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs get absolutely savaged here.

yeah...the cost of a elite norris contending #1D is steep

that being said every piece they move can be replaced. Nylander gets replaced by Kapanen.
Grundstrom is a wing prospect..the leafs already stacked with young wingers.
Carrick? #7 or 8 dman if subban is acquired. 1st? probably 25-31st

2020-2021

Rielly-Subban
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Zaitsev

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
That might literally be the worst serious offer I’ve seen for EK.
The offer does include Ryan too.

But Hextall has made it known he isn’t giving up his top prospects for a year of any player. Morgan frost and Sanheim both fall in that range. Hextall wouldn’t make that move.

I don’t think Frost has any chance of being traded.

Reactions: mercury

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
seems like the next step towards the inevitable: him leaving for nothing like Tavares. All it would take is for Karlsson to shut down discussion. I think he might just tune out the complex discussions once the season starts. If Ottawa wants that perfect trade to come out of this even slightly even, they have to do it soon.
Hyperbole. They dont have to do anything soon if the return is terrible. There is no perfect trade for Ottawa, no matter what they lose it. So wait for a good return its not complicated. Someone will pay eventually. Thats how the market works when you are looking to aquire a unique asset. It doesnt just change the rules of negotiation because a fake hockey insider is getting ansty because he blew a call earlier he had no real source for. I know for a fact tampa isnt close right now. So anyone holding out for a deal is just going to be dissappinted.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

To PHI:
Erik Karlsson

To OTT:
Wayne Simmonds
Travis Sanheim
Andrew MacDonald
Morgan Frost

Assuming all goes well:

Giroux-Couturier-Ryan
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Raffl-Lehtera-Weise
Weal, Vecchione

Karlsson-Provorov
Gostisbehere-Gudas
Folin-Myers
Hagg

Elliott
Neuvirth

Lol keep dreaming and Ottawa retains hilarious.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The offer does include Ryan too.

But Hextall has made it known he isn’t giving up his top prospects for a year of any player. Morgan frost and Sanheim both fall in that range. Hextall wouldn’t make that move.

I don’t think Frost has any chance of being traded.

If you aren’t willing to trade a good young player, why even bother being involved in a trade for one of the leagues best players?

I mean really? You wouldn’t deal Frost or Sanheim for a top 3 defenceman?

Insanity.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yeah...the cost of a elite norris contending #1D is steep

that being said every piece they move can be replaced. Nylander gets replaced by Kapanen.
Grundstrom is a wing prospect..the leafs already stacked with young wingers.
Carrick? #7 or 8 dman if subban is acquired. 1st? probably 25-31st

2020-2021

Rielly-Subban
Dermott-Liljegren
Sandin-Zaitsev

Subban did not deserve any Norris votes. He's the 3rd best dman on his own team. He's very good, not elite, and also very expensive and past his prime.

trading the young prime years of Willy for the decline years of PK is a big mistake. let alone throwing in two other good assets.

that being said, if I were Nashville this is exactly the move I'd make - sell PK at his absolute peak perceived value when He's only the 3rd most important dman and costs by far the most.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
If you aren’t willing to trade a good young player, why even bother being involved in a trade for one of the leagues best players?

I mean really? You wouldn’t deal Frost or Sanheim for a top 3 defenceman?

Insanity.
I didn’t say I wouldn’t? It’s what Hextall has said since he became GM. And Hextall doesn’t have a problem trading top prospects but it won’t be for a guy with one year remaining. He has seemed to stick true to his word.

If Karlsson becomes a free agent I have a feeling Hextall will be there offering like the rest of the league.

Also is it insanity? It doesn’t seem like any team is willing to give up top assets for him. Teams seem reluctant to do so. They probably know more than us(obviously ) but that speaks a great deal if they think he will are-sign or not in any town.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
This is a pretty fair trade for all sides. But I want to see Grundstrom play for a couple years before I package him in a deal. He has way more upside than his trade value right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wouldn't the Preds rather have Subban at 9M than Karlsson at 11M?
Yes they would. Preds need Subban's physicality and defensive zone play more as well, given the way the rest of the D is constructed. Plus so far he's great for marketing, Preds jersey is on the cover of NHL 19. Leave Nashville out of this.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Subban did not deserve any Norris votes. He's the 3rd best dman on his own team. He's very good, not elite, and also very expensive and past his prime.

trading the young prime years of Willy for the decline years of PK is a big mistake. let alone throwing in two other good assets.

that being said, if I were Nashville this is exactly the move I'd make - sell PK at his absolute peak perceived value when He's only the 3rd most important dman and costs by far the most.
Wow, total miss! Clearly has never seen Nashville or Subban play. :lol:

(Or is secretly Marc Bergevin maybe?)

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
4qaxmuuf3ka11.jpg
that will work maybe he would be traded by then before FA lol

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I agree, he'll still be a good player 25 goals-70 points seems fair. But by the time he is past 30, I think he is simply just an above average 1C. Somewhere in the 15-25 range of centers in the league. Rather than the 5-10 company that he is in now, that really gives the leafs one of the best 1-2 punches.

There are going to be 32 teams then. So 15-25 us above avg fir 1C.

JT in his 30s will be an overpaid anchor.

Nashville isn’t trading Fabbro.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
if it was a 1st rd pick insteadwhat would your thoughts be?

subban is a 50-60pt dman at his best, Karlsson is a 70-80pt dman at his best (ppg actually)
whats the value of an extra 5-10g/20pts from the back end?

Defensive point production is tied to the teams top offensive line and PP production.

You reverse sub ban and EK in their careers PK likely averages more points.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015

Wow, not sure I agree with a single line here. Who exactly on the Preds would you place above Subban? Im assuming Josi which leaves either Ekholm or Ellis as the 2nd one? I guess Josi might have a case here, but stating that either Ellis or Ekholm (though both are great players) are better than Subban is just silly.

Reactions: Tex76

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hyperbole. They dont have to do anything soon if the return is terrible. There is no perfect trade for Ottawa, no matter what they lose it. So wait for a good return its not complicated. Someone will pay eventually. Thats how the market works when you are looking to aquire a unique asset. It doesnt just change the rules of negotiation because a fake hockey insider is getting ansty because he blew a call earlier he had no real source for. I know for a fact tampa isnt close right now. So anyone holding out for a deal is just going to be dissappinted.

They can wait until the deadline if they think they will get better. Although they have done this twice(they waited until the draft) and the grass hasn't been greener. Why do they think some team would give more at the deadline than they would for a whole season of Karlsson?? Answer they wouldn't. He would be so close to FA at that point he would be dumb not to go there.

So maybe a contender would throw a lot for him as a rental but I doubt it would be more than what they would get now. If they think this is a good idea, who are we to tell them different? Just dont think they get quite as good a deal at the deadline as they would before the season starts. I just dont see many contenders out there willing (or able to) to pay that much for a rental. Draft picks and prospects are very valuable in a cap era. Teams aren't just willing to throw it away for 1 shot. The price goes way down after the season starts imo.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Nash ville would not trade P.k and Fabbro in the same transaction....

Why does this trade need Toronto.

Karlson (extended) to Nashville, Subbhan to Ottawa.....

Nashville saves all the extras involved in the trade above.

Nashville gets an upgrade in Karlson and Nashville is a low tax state (same as Florida/tampa) he can agree to a similiar deal as he was going to do in Tampa last week.

The return of Subbhan is one of the only face saving trades that Dorian could make that saves his Job in Ottawa.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro

Your hate for subban is showing man. 3rd defenseman of our team? Come on guy. When Ellis(josi's partner)was out for half the seasons they took emelin and paired him up with pk not Josi because they know pk can play and still perform at a high level playing with alot lesser pairing partner while Josi can't. As much as I like Josi he hasn't played with a bad defenseman his whole career. Pk has and put up Norris caliber numbers in the process. I'm not giving pk all the credit but you have to give him some for bringing a team that never been out of the second round to the Stanley Cup Final his first year and the President Cup his second year. He's a big time player and he shows up during big moments. Watch last year and this years playoffs and you'll see.
As much as I see this trade never happening and as much as I like pk and don't want to see him go. I would love to see him and Tavares back home in Toronto trying to fulfill a childhood dream of lifting the Cup in Toronto. That would be a good story.

Reactions: RickP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad