Recalled/Assigned: Erik Gustafsson

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Figured that it was only a matter of time before he got called up. Have heard nothing but rumblings online about how highly the Hawks brass thinks of the kid from reporters.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Excited to see how he does. Personally, I don't see this affecting the depth chart at D much. Seems like a move to have some insurance on the backend before the road trip. I'd love if he was solid right away, though.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The obvious question. Will this move finally mean Stan has finally faced the reality that Bladder is not cut out to play for the Hawks?

I would hope so, but if Stan couldn't see that based off of last season, I doubt that he'd change his opinion after ten games.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Oh god. Why?
The 2 games I have been to in Rockford (yes, small sample size blah blah) he has not looked good at all.
Hopefully the call up will boost his ego or something and he won't be garbage.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The obvious question. Will this move finally mean Stan has finally faced the reality that Bladder is not cut out to play for the Hawks?

This is most likely because of the road trip to Winnipeg and Minnesota. They'd only be bringing 6 dmen without Gustafsson

Hopefully he does get a game or two over Rundblad, but I wouldn't analyze this too much.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Oh god. Why?
The 2 games I have been to in Rockford (yes, small sample size blah blah) he has not looked good at all.

If there is one thing we have learned regarding our prospects over the last 5 years, its that we should not put any weight into how they played in the AHL. It seems to me that the Hawks, perhaps more than any other team, use their AHL team as a tool to teach their kids the system.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
He hasn't scored an NHL point yet? Not NHL caliber talent IMO.

Hoping he's in for Bladder on Thursday as I wont be able to catch the game friday.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oh god. Why?

How was he garbage? Not questioning you but just looking for more detail.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
How was he garbage? Not questioning you but just looking for more detail.

Not necessarily saying he has been garbage in Rockford. Moreso, hoping that he isn't here.
But he hasn't been good in Rockford.
The first game I went to, one of the Stars cut in towards Leighton. Leighton was down from blocking the first shot so one side of the net was open, and this dude just stood there instead of even putting his stick out to try to block the shot... and they were scored on.
Last night, I am pretty sure he did the same thing, but the play was a bit more confusing but he was just standing around again.

On the other hand, I have also seen him block shots. And he was BETTER last night than in the first game I saw. Maybe beginning of the season rust.

Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But nothing from him says NHL ready. Im hoping he can play better in the NHL as it is certainly possible.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Rundblad is sooooo bad, how could we get back to back shutouts?

He actually looked ok and as always with him, the more games he Plays the better he Looks. Give him a 2 week break and he'll look bad again. He is actually playing like a #6 D.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
He definitely hasn't been bad the last couple of games, but still don't want to see him out there in a playoff game.

The guy has not been given a chance to play a long stretch of consecutive games. He was fine in a stretch before KT was brought in last year and that trade did nothing but downgrade the team. I also wouldn't want to see him in a playoff game if he was sitting for the previous 20... Rundblad has been pretty good in my eyes, been solid last couple games and the guy just seems to get better when he gets some continuity going. I agree with Stan's decision to keep him but Q is not treating him fairly. He should not sit for Gustaffson, not at the moment.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The guy has not been given a chance to play a long stretch of consecutive games. He was fine in a stretch before KT was brought in last year and that trade did nothing but downgrade the team. I also wouldn't want to see him in a playoff game if he was sitting for the previous 20... Rundblad has been pretty good in my eyes, been solid last couple games and the guy just seems to get better when he gets some continuity going. I agree with Stan's decision to keep him but Q is not treating him fairly. He should not sit for Gustaffson, not at the moment.

I think what you mean is, if Bladder has the puck he is fine. Q is sheltering him as best he can, but without the puck, I feel like covering my eyes. It certainly doesn't help that he is paired with Daley but with Keith out it becomes a necessary evil for Q to try and shelter both 6 and 5, by avoiding playing the duo against ops top 6. In that case, if Hawks can maintain their possession game, they can usually get away with it. Fingers crossed that that continues.

The good news is our top 2 pair of dmen are holding their own in Keith's absence.

Gustafsson is there it seems, strictly as a depth guy but I'd like to see him get some action to see what he is made of. Dressing 7 dman is an option. Q could always be Q and give Daley a few shifts up front.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I think what you mean is, if Bladder has the puck he is fine. Q is sheltering him as best he can, but without the puck, I feel like covering my eyes. It certainly doesn't help that he is paired with Daley but with Keith out it becomes a necessary evil for Q to try and shelter both 6 and 5, by avoiding playing the duo against ops top 6. In that case, if Hawks can maintain their possession game, they can usually get away with it. Fingers crossed that that continues.

The good news is our top 2 pair of dmen are holding their own in Keith's absence.

Gustafsson is there it seems, strictly as a depth guy but I'd like to see him get some action to see what he is made of. Dressing 7 dman is an option. Q could always be Q and give Daley a few shifts up front.

Pretty much this. There's no denying Bladder has some solid offensive skills and can play pretty well with the puck but his in zone coverage is pretty bad and he's downey soft in front of the net.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If there is one thing we have learned regarding our prospects over the last 5 years, its that we should not put any weight into how they played in the AHL. It seems to me that the Hawks, perhaps more than any other team, use their AHL team as a tool to teach their kids the system.

The bolded part. I should underline and All-caps that too.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Rundy doesn't bother me as much as some others on here. The guy who has impressed me a lot this year is TVR. Huge improvement over last year. His skating appears much more fluid. Always could think the game, felt if he was a better skater he was a solid top 4 guy because of his hockey sense. He's at that point right now. Needs to keep them knees injury free.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

He basically played all the games from mid December to mid March last year, if that's not a stretch of consecutive games, I'm not sure what is.

Pretty good isn't a description I would give Rundblad. Maybe, not bad. He is a filler, who can play 10-13mins a night and not be completely terrible in the regular season, I would rather not do that in the playoffs though. And there are always excuses thrown out there for Rundblad.

I agree he shouldn't sit for Gustaffsson, but if they want to see how Gustaffsson handles the big leagues, Rundblad is the only guy that should come out to give him that opportunity as he is the worst of the D.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Rundblad has been decent so far this year but like a lot of others have said his ceiling is probably #6D, and even then he's still bad defensively. For all the hate that Rundblad gets though I think Daley has been just as bad this year.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ Yeah. Since it appears that 6 and 5 are joined at the hip until Keith returns, perhaps Q should just give them both the green light. :laugh:A great test for our team defensive game. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad