Confirmed with Link: Erik Gustafsson 1 year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yes bc the guys you listed are really hard to play against, lord knows they really wore the devils down and showed it last year. Trouba had more grit tossing his f***ing helmet than that lost of players did in 6 playoff games. Kreider was excellent on the pp but otherwise meh, trocheck was awful, and even bringing up kakko or laffy is laughable.

I don't hate Wheeler, but he's not what he was but he will be given a role here based on what he was and that is my issue.
It's really not as dire as you make it seem because they lost a 7 game series to the Devils. Gallant is gone and hopefully line combinations will make sense and structure will return to the team. They will also be super motivated. You are looking for things to complain about. Wheeler wants to win, is a quality signing, and will help this team. All for 800k. I'm done arguing with you about it.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
well you quoted me directly, which is confusing bc I'm not everyone nor have I said any of those things about Jones.

I've been saying since the deadline that I hoped we'd acquire this player and proposed moving Jones, whom I don't see a ton of upside in.

he's a journeyman, so was Himmy Vesey. I don't see that as oh no, he must be awful. That's just the spin you put on it. It's just as easy to say, look at that considerably long list of teams who all at some point have seen enough of him to want to acquire him...
There are multiple people jumping on me for my opinion of this. I have posts w multiple replies quoted and it's hard to separate each individual jumping on me about my opinion when my notifications are just blowing up. I try to respond to everyone so sorry if I have anything crossed with you.

Vesey was brought in to 4th line and pk and he was in on a trial to prove it. Vesey has evolved. Gusto still is a box of fireworks that looks beautiful when it works but if something goes wrong it's chaos. He didn't come here to be the 7th or 8th d as some have suggested. He's here bc he's your 3ld and pp2 guy. I'm just not sure this is going to go as smoothly as people think, especially with how soft he is in front of the net which has been a major issue here for everyone except Lindgren and trouba, who ironically enough are the 2 d men that most people here want to run out of the org.

My original comment that everything branched off of was laughing bc last week everyone was convinced Jones was on the 3rd pair or even going to play with trouba, now he's not even in the top 6 and it's just funny.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It's really not as dire as you make it seem because they lost a 7 game series to the Devils. Gallant is gone and hopefully line combinations will make sense and structure will return to the team. They will also be super motivated. You are looking for things to complain about. Wheeler wants to win, is a quality signing, and will help this team. All for 800k. I'm done arguing with you about it.
Why are they motivated? Bc you said so? What about this roster, the contracts, the nmcs for the core, the apathetic play, what about any of it tells you they are motivated? They didn't just lose in 6 games, they got embarrassed as the series evolved and no showed in elimination.

What line combos make sense to you right now? Turk tried every combo possible w the lines, at some point it's not the line combos, but what combos do you think will work with the roster as is?

People need to get over last years playoff team and move on. They have mostly the same team that also played in the playoffs the year before that almost made the cup
And before that with mostly the same roster they did what? They have had one good playoff run in how many years? It is much more of the exception than it is the rule and ignoring that is kind of questionable.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
"Ha" to everyone who thought Jones as going to be handed the 3rd pair spot. You people don't seem to understand how archaic drury and his thinking is. This guy will be the 3rd pair ld and running pp2

You'd rather have Jones than Gustafsson?

Negative, as usual.

Drury is thinking "archaically" at age 46? That's pretty funny. It's probably more along the lines that he thinks Jones, right now, is a smallish on the fringe AHL/NHL player and he's probably right.

And, if Jones wins the job, would you rather have the tree on skates (Harpur) or Gustafsson?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Jones might still get a chance.

Handing the spot to Jones and Joey Grabass is playing if Jones gets hurt or stinks would be stupid
This move should force Harpur to being their 9th maybe 10th option by seasons end. I wish he wasn't an option at all, but what can you do.

And if Gustafsson bombs out, he's waived and gone or buried at no cost.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Why are they motivated? Bc you said so? What about this roster, the contracts, the nmcs for the core, the apathetic play, what about any of it tells you they are motivated? They didn't just lose in 6 games, they got embarrassed as the series evolved and no showed in elimination.

What line combos make sense to you right now? Turk tried every combo possible w the lines, at some point it's not the line combos, but what combos do you think will work with the roster as is?

And before that with mostly the same roster they did what? They have had one good playoff run in how many years? It is much more of the exception than it is the rule and ignoring that is kind of questionable.
Because they lost in disappointing fashion after having a 2-0 series lead to a division rival. You think that doesn't bother them? These guys do care and want to win. They also lost in 7 games. Game 3 went into OT and they they won game 6 5-2. The only real bad game was game 7. Teams lose and do get embarrassed sometimes. It does not mean they cannot bounce back. Boston lost in the first round when they were up 3-1 after having a record regular season. Are they done? Tampa got swept by Columbus in the first round not too long ago? Were they done? Did they not win B2B cups? It's silly to look at one series loss against a good team and think that things can't change. The Rangers have plenty of talent but they fell short last year. They changed the entire coaching staff, hoping for another year of growth from Chytil, Laf, Kakko, Miller, Schneider. They added some nice new cheap depth pieces, have young guys like Cuylle, Othmann, Jones with an opportunity to push for playing time as well. Im actually pretty excited about this year. You choose to be miserable. Im not you.

Last edited:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I’m glad we signed another D. Plus the two AHL D signings. A few years ago, when Miller, Schneider and Lundqvist were still prospects (along with Jones and Robertson) our D pipeline felt pretty deep. Now, outside of our top 5 on the NHL, we are fairly thin with no sure things or blue chippers. Jones and Robertson may still pan out, Emberson and Scanlin and Fortescue might turn into something but the system is pretty empty and lacks a true elite D prospect. The development camp roster looks reaaaaaally thin on D. So any depth signings are welcomed. What we need is a few utility D who can just come in and play middle of the lineup make a solid first pass and be dependable. I dunno if Gusto is that guy or not. Ur he played a lot of minutes last season for Lavi so I’m hopeful he can bring some legit depth. But D depth is now a pipeline need, not an advantage.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
1688254269597.png

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
"Ha" to everyone who thought Jones as going to be handed the 3rd pair spot. You people don't seem to understand how archaic drury and his thinking is. This guy will be the 3rd pair ld and running pp2
Orrrrr Zac will earn his fairly high draft status as a really good puck moving dman who will beat this guy out easily.

Competition in training camp is a great thing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I highly doubt Zac Jones will beat out a guy who had over 40 points last year and played over 20 minutes a game for the current NYR coach,
There will be injuries.

NYR started Sauer as a 7 and it didn’t take long for him to get in.

The only thing is- Gustafson is gonna be on PP2 so unless it’s he or 🦊 injured, Jones would likely be ES only

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
What a day. This one was hard to believe and really topped it off. Literally thought this was going to be a boring day and we probably had the most exciting one of any team.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Anyone with at least two IQ points to rub together can see the fantastic day Drury has had.
Fantastic? We signed a pile of ahi stiffs - 2 way contracts almost all of them — wheeler is washed hence the 800k - it’s a tryout basically to see if he still cares .
Quick is rinsed
Tell me who you love ?
We lost Mikkola & Tarasenko
Mikkola was outstanding.
We lost pick after pick after pick - no 2nd rounders and we have nothing to show for it !
You think we’re beating jack Hughes and co because we signed Peter Laviollette and nick bonino??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad