News: Erik Brannstrom won't receive a QO from Senators

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not a guy you want in your top 4, not a guy you want on your bottom pair.

He just has no role. Isn’t defensive, isn’t good offensively, isn’t physical or big, isn’t a great skater.

He’ll bounce around for another few years on short term deals.
With Branstrom and Boqvist, since they are on the smaller side, they need to produce offensively to remain on an NHL roster. Teams are only going to keep so many sub 6 football (lighter players), on their 23 man roster, typically only like 3-4 of them. They are no longer prospects, at 24/25 given the amount of pro games they have under their belt.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Good option as a #7/8, or even a #6 that you phase out of the lineup as ypu approach the playoffs. He can bring a good amount of value so long as he is properly protected

Ottawa has probably offered a 1-2yr deal around 1-1.25m but I think Brannstrom will look for a fresh start

Devils could use someone like that. I don't care for the lack of size but he helps stabilize defense and provides really solid depth and we always could use that.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Sounds like Utah is aiming for a more proven guy (Montour). Not sure Brannstrom is worth it when they already have a tweener in Victor Soderstrom fighting for a spot.

I wish I could find the video, but I remember Brannstrom namedropping Fabian Zetterlund as a close friend. Don't know if the Sharks have a roster spot even after buying out Knyzhov and not qualifying Addison.

Reactions: Dog

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Sounds like Utah is aiming for a more proven guy (Montour). Not sure Brannstrom is worth it when they already have a tweener in Victor Soderstrom fighting for a spot.

I wish I could find the video, but I remember Brannstrom namedropping Fabian Zetterlund as a close friend. Don't know if the Sharks have a roster spot even after buying out Knyzhov and not qualifying Addison.
Actually the sharks be another great spot to get ice time. That would fit better probably!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Perfect example of why teams are so scared of arbitration eligible players right now. There’s too many NHL contracts, that would lead to Brannstrom getting an award Ottawa doesn’t feel is fair, and it wouldn’t be.

Watch how every semi surprising name not qualified is arbitration eligible.

Doesn’t mean certain players won’t re-sign either.

ACLEVERNAME

HANDS
Jan 6, 2010
Never understood the love affair a lot of Sens fans had with the guy. Isn't particularly great at any one thing, he's sort if just 'there.' Waste of a roster space in the NHL.

He is handsome as f*** though, I'll give him that. RIP Short King.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I definitely saw some games last year where I thought he was pretty darn effective all around, he's certainly NHL caliber at worst. But I do think we are just in an era where teams really only covet smaller Dmen who are either high end offensively or the very rare ones who are completely nails defensively. Otherwise they want the bigger bodies on the backend.

Brannstrom can play though. Not sure if there's a team out there that has the opportunity but I could see him still breaking out a bit if given more PP time and the right offensive role. He's no liability defensively by any means either.
People don't like him because they expect someone his size to be a legit PP QB, but he's actually better defensively than he is offensively.

It feels like he gets the worst d partners, rotating all the time, he keeps switching from LD to RD, he's got no consistency. The one time he found a decent partner, they'd switch him off. DJ Smith was the worst thing to happen to him.

I think he's serviceable and he'll find a good fit somewhere.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Actually the sharks be another great spot to get ice time. That would fit better probably!
Nah, he needs to slot in with a good team to be effective. The worst thing for him (and the team) would be to go somewhere where he can't play to his strengths and be deployed effectively with an established partner.

If you're Brannstrom you should be making a 2 year discount deal with a team like Vancouver, Edmonton, Florida, Vegas, LA, Boston etc...

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
He's OK. Although Ottawa had a terrible D this year, the guy had to take shifts on LW when we couldn't call up a player.

I'd take him back around 1M, but there are going to be way better options in FA for the 2.5M+ he could have received in arbitration.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He’s a funny player.

Plays a cerebral style, smooth skater, decent hockey IQ, but for all of his gifts, is still offensively anemic and his lack of size can cost him in his own zone.

Finesse defenceman with no offensive contribution to speak of is a tough role to sell.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he were the exact same player but 4 inches taller (and gains the attributes that go along with it, like strength) - he'd be a great 2nd pairing Dman.

I hope he find a good home. Ottawa was just never a good fit.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Every time i watched him, it seemed like he was making constant soft plays, leaving huge gaps, and mistakes like that. Really don't know what people see in him, beyond some prior hype and pedigree that has mostly worn off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00