Value of: Erik Brannstrom (1 x 2.000)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Something's got to give in Ottawa. The obvious answer is to ship out M.Joseph, but that would be too costly. The next best option is to trade E.Brannstrom as the Sens have a cheaper replacement in T.Kleven anyways. Trading A.Forsberg is also an option, but seems less realistic IMO.

He played well in a 3rd pairing role last year. Can be muscled off the puck due to his size, but is solid positionally. Might still have some untapped offensive potential, but hasn't had much opportunity to show it in Ottawa. He's still only 23yrs old.

The idea would be to trade him for the best pick/prospect we can get, to clear some salary to sign S.Pinto.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The thing is with his lack of size all other teams will view him as an offensive defenceman. He only had 18 points last year in 74 games. He also only has 4 goals in 190 career games.

I can’t see a team investing too much into him. He is not the defender to throw out on the penalty kill and has not turned into being that offensive player he was supposed to be. Just about every NHL team has some prospect that fills the need of offensive defenceman that they would probably rather try out over Brannstrom.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
I think there could be interest. Kimo Timmonen lite could be attainable. I’d expect retooling teams to be interested ala Nashville or Columbus. Return would likely be a 3rd.

Moving Joseph would likely cost a 2nd or a late 1st. Either is too costly. He can be moved later if he has a bounce back year.

Obviously moving Branny when he is so young is never a good idea. But that’s the cap.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think there could be interest. Kimo Timmonen lite could be attainable. I’d expect retooling teams to be interested ala Nashville or Columbus. Return would likely be a 3rd.

Moving Joseph would likely cost a 2nd or a late 1st. Either is too costly. He can be moved later if he has a bounce back year.

Obviously moving Branny when he is so young is never a good idea. But that’s the cap.

Nashville and Columbus already have 1-2 too many defensemen. They wouldn't be interested.

Could see teams like San Jose and Chicago being interested. Maybe Anaheim and Philly.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

CBJ has more D than they know what to do with, and NAS has 7 waiver eligible D better than Brannstrom. Don't think either team is a match.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The thing is with his lack of size all other teams will view him as an offensive defenceman. He only had 18 points last year in 74 games. He also only has 4 goals in 190 career games.

I can’t see a team investing too much into him. He is not the defender to throw out on the penalty kill and has not turned into being that offensive player he was supposed to be. Just about every NHL team has some prospect that fills the need of offensive defenceman that they would probably rather try out over Brannstrom.

Don't disagree with your logic at all here. I was very dissapointed with Brannstrom.in previous years but something clicked last season and he was much better. I still don't think teams would give up a much for him but he would be a great add on a team that can give him proper ice time and opportunity. He won't get that in Ottawa.

I think it's a bit of a misconception that he's an offensive defensemen. I think he's a well rounded player at this stage and his real standout skill is transition. He can exit the zone pretty effectively. He always had good vision but since last year his skating has improved a LOT. The issue with him was that he was small and when you're small you have to be evasive and quick. He was often getting caught flat footed in previous years and was getting outmuscled by bigger forwards. Now he's able to retrieve pucks for quick zone exits and he can support the attack in the Ozone.

He's the type of player I think will be traded to a bad team and will really come onto his own with trust from the coaching staff and more opportunity. He's come a really long way and I think he will get better in the next few years. If he's traded some team will get good value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad