Erie Otters 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

It’s the preseason, folks. Doesn’t really matter how they look when half the team isn’t playing, it’s the first game, and I don’t know much about Brantford but doubt they were full lineup.

Yes, seeing structure and discipline and some skill is good. But it’s a long season that hasn’t even started and when adversity hits, let’s see how they’ll respond.

Last edited:

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
How many forwards can we keep? Based off the roster, my understanding is 2 can be cut to bring us to 15 forwards? 4 lines with 3 healthy scratches. My guess is defense cuts one with one healthy scratch?

That would give us a roster of 28. I can’t seem to remember the exact number we can hold.
18 forwards, 7 defensemen, 3 goalies.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
How many forwards can we keep? Based off the roster, my understanding is 2 can be cut to bring us to 15 forwards? 4 lines with 3 healthy scratches. My guess is defense cuts one with one healthy scratch?

That would give us a roster of 28. I can’t seem to remember the exact number we can hold.
18 forwards, 7 defensemen, 3 goalies.
I believe you can only carry 24 players on active roster, which is typically 14 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies. That said, have also read you can keep 25 on active roster. Can’t see why it would be more than that and also can’t see why there would be a limit to how many forwards or defensemen you can keep… you just get 24/25 players overall.

Historically, the team always carries more during preseason because the OHL allows it. The league probably allows up to 28-30 players for preseason rosters.

There are cuts coming because the team doesn’t have a choice based on OHL rules. What they typically carry is 13-14 forwards, 7-8 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

Among forwards, the locks are probably:
Terrance
Spence
Bressette
Misiak
Molnar
Fimis
Alfano
Smith
Gilmartin OR Saganiuk

That leaves:
Artichuk
Edwards
Messier
McDonald
Toroptsev
Hammond
Royston

They are likely only keeping 4, maybe 5, forwards among that second group. Seeing as how they just recently signed Toropstev and Hammond, combined with their age, odds are they are on the team. They could send Royston down if they think he would benefit at a lower level for a year. But as I stated before, with talent and age - between Artichuk, Edwards, McDonald, Messier - it’s likely 2 are getting cut. At least 1 and possibly 3

On defense it’s a bit more simple as they have 8 signed on the roster. It’s likely they carry 8 to start the year and adjust as needed. Or they release or move someone but the odds are that would be someone among the group of Sauder, Alboim, Holomego

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
I believe you can only carry 24 players on active roster, which is typically 14 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies. That said, have also read you can keep 25 on active roster. Can’t see why it would be more than that and also can’t see why there would be a limit to how many forwards or defensemen you can keep… you just get 24/25 players overall.

Historically, the team always carries more during preseason because the OHL allows it. The league probably allows up to 28-30 players for preseason rosters.

There are cuts coming because the team doesn’t have a choice based on OHL rules. What they typically carry is 13-14 forwards, 7-8 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

Among forwards, the locks are probably:
Terrance
Spence
Bressette
Misiak
Molnar
Fimis
Alfano
Smith
Gilmartin OR Saganiuk

That leaves:
Artichuk
Edwards
Messier
McDonald
Toroptsev
Hammond
Royston

They are likely only keeping 4, maybe 5, forwards among that second group. Seeing as how they just recently signed Toropstev and Hammond, combined with their age, odds are they are on the team. They could send Royston down if they think he would benefit at a lower level for a year. But as I stated before, with talent and age - between Artichuk, Edwards, McDonald, Messier - it’s likely 2 are getting cut. At least 1 and possibly 3

On defense it’s a bit more simple as they have 8 signed on the roster. It’s likely they carry 8 to start the year and adjust as needed. Or they release or move someone but the odds are that would be someone among the group of Sauder, Alboim, Holomego
That’s about what I figured. I just allotted for an additional line given the beginning of the season, there’s usually movement towards the NHL level for training camps. I don’t see much of that being our issue.

My bet is they keep Artichuk and/or Edwards. McDonald wasn’t much of a show although I hope to get a better look tomorrow. I didn’t see much in Messier, but last season he was okay.

The three you mentioned were among my cuts for defense. The only way Holomego makes this team is for his size. Otherwise, he didn’t continue to produce given his age.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
That’s about what I figured. I just allotted for an additional line given the beginning of the season, there’s usually movement towards the NHL level for training camps. I don’t see much of that being our issue.

My bet is they keep Artichuk and/or Edwards. McDonald wasn’t much of a show although I hope to get a better look tomorrow. I didn’t see much in Messier, but last season he was okay.

The three you mentioned were among my cuts for defense. The only way Holomego makes this team is for his size. Otherwise, he didn’t continue to produce given his age.
But they also just signed Holomego so seems unlikely they would cut him but time will time

One advantage McDonald has is he's a center. I'm guessing Hammond, Royston and Toroptev are on the opening roster.
Agree. I think McDonald with position, size, skill is more likely to make it over Edwards, Artichuk, Messier. But age could also be a factor. Imo, Edwards and Messier are the odd ones out now but that could change for various reasons

Monster66

Aug 31, 2022
But they also just signed Holomego so seems unlikely they would cut him but time will time

Agree. I think McDonald with position, size, skill is more likely to make it over Edwards, Artichuk, Messier. But age could also be a factor. Imo, Edwards and Messier are the odd ones out now but that could change for various reasons
Any idea if McDonald sustained a serious injury last night? hand and perhaps a concussion? Messier scored last night and is a bigger presence over all those other guys. One thing I will say about Stan is he doesn't mind less skilled guys on the fourth line and he likes size. I think it comes down to the pre-season and which of those bubble kids out perform the others. As for selecting players based on the position they play...that's a poor way to evaluate talent. You always take the better player regardless of what position they play. I also like McDonald to be the 12th forward but wondering if this injury changes anything??

Monster66

Aug 31, 2022

So, if Topsy, Holomego and Royston all make the opening day roster where does that leave McDonald? 13th forward to start the season?

So, if Topsy, Holomego and Royston all make the opening day roster where does that leave McDonald? 13th forward to start the season?
Last thought which is important, none of those players are Stan's guys. So, Stan has no loyalty to any of them and he won't hesitate to move away from all or most of them.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Any idea if McDonald sustained a serious injury last night? hand and perhaps a concussion? Messier scored last night and is a bigger presence over all those other guys. One thing I will say about Stan is he doesn't mind less skilled guys on the fourth line and he likes size. I think it comes down to the pre-season and which of those bubble kids out perform the others. As for selecting players based on the position they play...that's a poor way to evaluate talent. You always take the better player regardless of what position they play. I also like McDonald to be the 12th forward but wondering if this injury changes anything??
When I said opening night roster I meant the players staying in Erie, not necessarily the 20 who would dress for the game.

Reactions: dirty12

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not necessarily. A) Holomego is defense and doesn’t impact McDonald. B) Could mean someone like Royston, who is a true rookie, is the 13th forward.

Bottom line: there will be cuts. At least 2, maybe 3 forwards

Reactions: ZinErie

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
@Monster66 McDonald won’t be playing tomorrow. His whole right eye is black and swollen shut. He’s wearing sun glasses to cover up.

Artichuk confirms he’s made the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mata and ZinErie

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
There’s a Sarnia scout here. I’m unsure if he’s talking to an Otter or Spirit scratch.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Sarnia is going to be a damn good team this season. They move the puck incredibly well and create tons of space moving down the ice.

As far as our boys...

Schaefer looks a little uncomfortable right now...just off by a little bit, but when he clicks I think it will be a good thing.

Gilmartin, at least for now, seems calm and subdued. I don't know if that's good or bad because he seemed to play best when he pushed the envelope but didn't quite lose his head entirely.

Our back check and team defense are noticeably improved. We aren't generating any really quality chances on offense through the first period.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Sarnia is going to be a damn good team this season. They move the puck incredibly well and create tons of space moving down the ice.

As far as our boys...

Schaefer looks a little uncomfortable right now...just off by a little bit, but when he clicks I think it will be a good thing.

Gilmartin, at least for now, seems calm and subdued. I don't know if that's good or bad because he seemed to play best when he pushed the envelope but didn't quite lose his head entirely.

Our back check and team defense are noticeably improved. We aren't generating any really quality chances on offense through the first period.
As for Gilmartin, it’s almost like Saganiuk is a lock, but testing the waters with Gilmartin playing with vets. You don’t want your OA on the 4th line.

Schaefer is as advertised as a two way defender. Plays up but can get back when needed. He needs more time for sure since he’s a little lost. At 16, it’s expected.

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
As for Gilmartin, it’s almost like Saganiuk is a lock, but testing the waters with Gilmartin playing with vets. You don’t want your OA on the 4th line.

Schaefer is as advertised as a two way defender. Plays up but can get back when needed. He needs more time for sure since he’s a little lost. At 16, it’s expected.

And in 10 minutes of play Lalonde looks awful

Jawk

Sep 29, 2021
I have a feeling we will see more of those goals from Schaefer. Wow.
You know what the best part of him is? He's a better person than hockey player. His family stresses work ethic and that even if he had a great game, he's gotta get up for school the next day.

He is going to be an absolute beast.

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
You know what the best part of him is? He's a better person than hockey player. His family stresses work ethic and that even if he had a great game, he's gotta get up for school the next day.

He is going to be an absolute beast.
For sure. Met him yesterday at the meet and greet. He seems humble and genuinely excited to be here. He never stopped smiling while meeting everyone. We need more families like that with those values.

Schaefer does it all and is outskating some of the vets. I can see why we picked him first. He’s a utility player.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
My observations from this weekend: goaltenders all played well. Your comment about Lalonde surprised me Mata. At that point in the game the only goal he gave up was on a penalty shot. Holomego has been a pleasant surprise. Royston is going to be a beast. Misiak and Schaefer are as advertised. Going to be fun watching them play. I don't see a spot for Saganiuk on the team. We have Terrance, Misiak and Fimis at center. Unless they move one of those 3 to wing, which is possible. If not for the draft pick we'd owe London, Gilmartin would be my pick for the 3rd overager. Anyone know if Johnston is hurt? He was the only Otter not to suit up this weekend.

Reactions: Mata

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
My observations from this weekend: goaltenders all played well. Your comment about Lalonde surprised me Mata. At that point in the game the only goal he gave up was on a penalty shot. Holomego has been a pleasant surprise. Royston is going to be a beast. Misiak and Schaefer are as advertised. Going to be fun watching them play. I don't see a spot for Saganiuk on the team. We have Terrance, Misiak and Fimis at center. Unless they move one of those 3 to wing, which is possible. If not for the draft pick we'd owe London, Gilmartin would be my pick for the 3rd overager. Anyone know if Johnston is hurt? He was the only Otter not to suit up this weekend.
I think Lalonde played better when he got into his groove. He had a few decent scuffles in front which in other years he would’ve let in. It’s definitely harder to come in mid game and while he should’ve been ready, it’s only preseason. Lalonde looked sharper this weekend than he did in March.

I’d like to add that this team has far more sportsmanship for each other than in the past. It’s like a huge culture change. When mentioned to a few of them how great they looked in preseason, a lot of they credit it to not having Hartsburg around. They’re buying into Stan Butler and his style of hockey. It’s obvious that there’s talent here and it’ll be exciting to see how it all unfolds.

I don’t see Gilmartin fitting into this team. You don’t keep your OAs around for 4th line minutes.

I expected more from Sova up until when he finally found his way on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Mata
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad