Eric Staal vs. Corey Perry

Better career: Staal or Perry

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Perry pretty easily, he has the Hart and Rocket ontop of matching Staal for cups and longevity, they both spent a long time as a top-line player while Perry has been able to transition his skillset into a highly demanded 4th liner and hasn't been where Staal is struggling to find a team in recent years.

Perry has also twice the amount of playoff games and deep runs.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Perry peaked higher in terms of hardware (although I don’t believe he should have won the Hart that year) but Staal was a ‘top player’ for longer.

Perry has only 4 seasons of 70+ points and played on better teams with better players than Staal while he was in Anaheim.

Staal has 8. He’s played 50 more games and has 50 more goals and 150 more points.

So better career I would give to Perry based on accomplishments and eventhough he wasn’t a big part of all of those losing SC finals runs he still got there a bunch of times which is impressive.

Better player was Staal though. He was the guy for most of his career and essentially did it alone and has better stats.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think this is one of those unusual situations where one player has the better peak and (arguably) the better career but the other has the better prime.

I'd take Perry at his best (2011, 2014) over Staal at his best (2006, 2013). Staal was more consistent and good longer.

For career, it's a question of more hardware + long playoff runs versus a longer and more consistent prime. Take your pick.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Perry is one of the funnest hockey players of all time to watch - truely gifted hands and one of the best after the whistle guys ever. Love Corey Perry.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ostensibly Perry checks all the boxes, but Staal was clearly the better player aside Perry's two peak seasons.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ostensibly Perry checks all the boxes, but Staal was clearly the better player aside Perry's two peak seasons.

Was he? Perry wasn’t a top scorer outside of those two years, but neither was Staal outside of his best two seasons.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
And in the 12-13 shortened season he was on pace for 90 as he had 53 in 48 games.

Corey was on pace for 67 that year for the record if we want to go apples to apples.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Staal did have eight 70-point seasons while Perry had four. That while being the more complete player overall.
To add to that, Perry played along side a Getzlaf- a 1000point centerman who may go to the HOF. Who was Staals best linemate and for how long. He put up more points working with less more consistently over a longer period of time. If there was a draft for either or , Staal would go first. That said I always loved Perry

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
To add to that, Perry played along side a Getzlaf- a 1000point centerman who may go to the HOF. Who was Staals best linemate and for how long. He put up more points working with less more consistently over a longer period of time. If there was a draft for either or , Staal would go first. That said I always loved Perry

Staal was the better player sure, question is who had the better career and I'd say that's Perry pretty easily.

Results aside, Perry's career was definitely more entertaining as well, he played on one of the leagues best lines for years, got some hardware out of it and got to annoy the hell out of people, he never missed consecutive playoff years once in his career.

Meanwhile Staal played on an island most of his career and missed the playoffs pretty much his entire prime, Carolina only made the playoffs 3/11 times his first 11 seasons.

If I was picking a career path to live out it's Perry's without question.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Staal was the better player sure, question is who had the better career and I'd say that's Perry pretty easily.

Results aside, Perry's career was definitely more entertaining as well, he played on one of the leagues best lines for years, got some hardware out of it and got to annoy the hell out of people, he never missed consecutive playoff years once in his career.

Meanwhile Staal played on an island most of his career and missed the playoffs pretty much his entire prime, Carolina only made the playoffs 3/11 times his first 11 seasons.

If I was picking a career path to live out it's Perry's without question.
Yup. Better career it’s totally fair to pick Perry. He’s got more individual hardware, team hardware and was on far more winning teams.

Better player would be a better poll and I do think that should lean to Staal

Last edited:

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Perry peak Stall better longevity. At this level of player, hard to not go with the Hart, Ross, and agitation of Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00