GWT: EPL - Matchweek 9

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Weird match because it seemed that both clubs lacked major energy. It seems the players were out there because they had to be and not because they wanted to be.

With that said, Arsenal easily wins this hands down if the injuries didn't make such an impact. They played KFC off the pitch but schoolboy errors gave free goals.

Havertz was atrocious at both ends of the pitch. It was hilarious he was yelling for a penalty when the ball lands to him in the box and he does an awful shot and then proceeds to whine afterwards. Pay effing attention, that was a prime chance and he whiffs on it. Rice and Timber were immense though. Holy damn, they controlled the entire game. Emirates was pathetic, but it seemed like everything felt off. It felt like a match between two midtable clubs instead of prime title contenders.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The fact that he continues to be employed kinda leads me to believe he's also convinced those above him that it doesn't count.

They've played 1/4 of the season and United have 11 points and are in 14th place. They've won 1 of their last 5 games. They're on pace for 46 points.

Zero idea how he still has a job.
So I know a guy that complied the “best” quotes for Roy as LFC manager. Called it “The Hodgson Files”. If you compare that to what’s been coming out of ETH mouth….it would be a flat circle if you were doing a venn diagram

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That’s the case for offsides. It is not my understanding that it is the case for fouls.
I haven't seen the play so this is just a general comment.

Refs are usually instructed to wait a couple seconds on potentially borderline fouls when there's an immediate dangerous chance, but it's definitely not the same as offside where they're supposed to leave it down for much longer and let the chance fully resolve before stopping play.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, it was the suppose wack in the face of Kai on Konate.
Everything I have heard/seen was it was on the Szoboszlai over the back (which is a foul. If the argument was, no actually it was on the Arsenal playing “walking” the LFC player that’s probably also a foul

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hasn't been the same since his last injury.
He was always a dumb player though. We were hoping he would take the next step because 1v1 he is insane. However, you can see the difference, Rice passes with purpose, while every play by Martinelli is always a hail Mary pass or shot. It's awful.

Reactions: luiginb

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I haven't seen the play so this is just a general comment.

Refs are usually instructed to wait a couple seconds on potentially borderline fouls when there's an immediate dangerous chance, but it's definitely not the same as offside where they're supposed to leave it down for much longer and let the chance fully resolve before stopping play.
Yeah, I haven’t seen the play either (too gorgeous in Toronto today to be inside watching), was just responding to the premise. Refs don’t have to “see how it shakes out” for fouls like they do for offsides.

Funny enough, “letting the chance fully resolve” for fouls results in insane situations like Chelsea being called for a foul on halfway 20 seconds later, with Nkunku losing possession inside the box.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That’s the case for offsides. It is not my understanding that it is the case for fouls.
This is what I thought as well. Obviously I/we could be wrong but this was the impression that I am under as well

If that's the case, then that is f***ing awful reffing because that play happens 1000 times a game.
No. No it doesn’t. And no one is complaining about it if Szoboszlai doesn’t choose to stay/isn’t able to stay on his feet

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, I haven’t seen the play either (too gorgeous in Toronto today to be inside watching), was just responding to the premise. Refs don’t have to “see how it shakes out” for fouls like they do for offsides.

Funny enough, “letting the chance fully resolve” for fouls results in insane situations like Chelsea being called for a foul on halfway 20 seconds later, with Nkunku losing possession inside the box.
I just watched the replay and the ref actually did exactly what he was supposed to.

Kiwior was over the back of Szoboszlai. He brought his whistle up but Kai had a bit of a chance in the box so he held blowing for a couple seconds to see what happened. Kai didn't immediately get a shot off so he blew the whistle.

It was a second or two after the foul that he waited, saw the ball wasn't immediately going in the net, and so blew it. It was 3-4 seconds after that when the ball finally went in.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is what I thought as well. Obviously I/we could be wrong but this was the impression that I am under as well

No. No it doesn’t. And no one is complaining about it if Szoboszlai doesn’t choose to stay/isn’t able to stay on his feet
Bro, jumping higher than players and getting part of their back happens every single game fam. I'm not sure how you can argue against that.

FTR I still think it's the Kai play, which was a legit foul.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I just watched the replay and the ref actually did exactly what he was supposed to.

Kiwior was over the back of Szoboszlai. He brought his whistle up but Kai had a bit of a chance in the box so he held blowing for a couple seconds to see what happened. Kai didn't immediately get a shot off so he blew the whistle.

It was a second or two after the foul that he waited, saw the ball wasn't immediately going in the net, and so blew it. It was 3-4 seconds after that when the ball finally went in.
Checks out.

We can just toss that one into the “all the refs are against us” compilation, then.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bro, jumping higher than players and getting part of their back happens every single game fam. I'm not sure how you can argue against that.

FTR I still think it's the Kai play, which was a legit foul.
You can’t go over someone’s back. When they do it’s called a foul. Really don’t think anything was called incorrectly here. Arsenal should have gotten a corner at the end, but don’t think anything else was egregious

Checks out.

We can just toss that one into the “all the refs are against us” compilation, then.
Arsenal have been doing a lot of complaints about refs making the correct calls this season

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You can go over a player, but not when you get half of them while doing it. Especially not right around the box.

I can see some complaint, but it would have been more than a bit fortunate to be allowed. On the measure of things, considering the second Arsenal goal looked a bit fortunate to be onside, maybe that’s the balance of things.

Arsenal clearly lost steam. I don’t think Liverpool played poorly. They didn’t really allow a ton of chances. I do think Liverpool need to get in a new LB at some point. Jones was not as good early (I think he’s better not in the focal of the three, but he’s not as good as Mac Allister in the 2 at times). Konate was very good. Salah could have done more.

Arsenal can feel unlucky with misses and injuries (though clearly sandbagged Saka and Timber’s fitness all week) though being at home, it’s crazy how much they play to kill the match even after scoring pretty early. I know it’s Arteta’s way, but I don’t think I could watch it for my club. From the beautiful passing of Wenger to playing kinda like Jose… I guess if they win stuff(to be seen)

Reactions: Savant and luiginb

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Just watched the replay of the Manchester United game.

Just an atrociously awful VAR intervention to give WHU a pen at the end of regular time. Inexcusable for VAR to get involved.

Two guys going for the ball, both of them miss it, their legs collide. The attacker throws himself to the ground and VAR decides to reward him.
Some of those misses in the first half were shocking.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Checks out.

If you're keeping the log, you can add VVD intentionally kicking/stomping Havertz twice with the ball nowhere close to them. No call and VAR nowhere to be found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad