GWT: EPL - Matchweek 9

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
This matchweek is headlined by title favorites Liverpool heading to Arsenal, who will be missing a key defender and coming off a bad loss to Bournemouth. Also in the title hunt, Man City will host Southampton in what should be an easy enough match to see Haaland return to the score sheet. We also get a London derby, when Palace host Tottenham, and a David Moyes derby, when West Ham host United.

BE AWARE - daylights saving hits the UK on Sunday morning.

HomeAwayTime and Date (CT)Venue
Leicester CityNottingham ForestFri., Oct. 25, 2:00 PMKing Power Stadium
Manchester CitySouthamptonSat., Oct. 26, 9:00 AMThe Etihad
BrentfordIpswich TownSat., Oct. 26, 9:00 AMGtech Community Stadium
Brighton & Hove AlbionWolverhampton WanderersSat., Oct. 26, 9:00 AMThe AmEx
Aston VillaBournemouthSat., Oct. 26, 9:00 AMVilla Park
EvertonFulhamSat., Oct. 26, 11:30 AMGoodison Park
Crystal PalaceTottenham HotspurSun.., Oct. 27, 9:00 AMSelhurst Park
ChelseaNewcastle UnitedSun.., Oct. 27, 9:00 AMStamford Bridge
West Ham UnitedManchester UnitedSun.., Oct. 27, 9:00 AMLondon Stadium
ArsenalLiverpoolSun., Oct. 27, 11:30 AMThe Emirates

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Honestly do not think the Saliba suspension changes things too much here. Arsenal will be happier with the extra day of rest (and not having to travel) and easier midweek game. If anything, I think this could be a 0-0 and/or look a lot like the Forest-LFC game that LFC lost earlier this season. Arsenal away is kind of a free hit for LFC. It's no worse than the 2nd toughest fixture and with it looking like the league will be won with 85-90 points instead of 95-100 points, there's a little more wiggle room than in previous seasons. Positive result would be very big for LFC though. Duh.

Still a long way to go this season, kind of curious how the second half of the season will go. Look at what happened to Angie last season (with a much easier schedule) once they got tape on him. Might be in the minority but having any of the title talk yet. There is certainly a league to be won though.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Honestly do not think the Saliba suspension changes things too much here. Arsenal will be happier with the extra day of rest (and not having to travel) and easier midweek game. If anything, I think this could be a 0-0 and/or look a lot like the Forest-LFC game that LFC lost earlier this season. Arsenal away is kind of a free hit for LFC. It's no worse than the 2nd toughest fixture and with it looking like the league will be won with 85-90 points instead of 95-100 points, there's a little more wiggle room than in previous seasons. Positive result would be very big for LFC though. Duh.

Still a long way to go this season, kind of curious how the second half of the season will go. Look at what happened to Angie last season (with a much easier schedule) once they got tape on him. Might be in the minority but having any of the title talk yet. There is certainly a league to be won though.
And I thought it was relatively clear yesterday that Maresca had successfully studied the tape on Liverpool. His tactics were pretty close to spot on - Liverpool largely won through the discipline which accompanies experience and know-how (which is so insanely invaluable that it cannot ever be understated).

Strangely enough, it was a Liverpool win that made me feel more certain about where Chelsea currently are than about where Liverpool are. Really interesting game, tbh.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And I thought it was relatively clear yesterday that Maresca had successfully studied the tape on Liverpool. His tactics were pretty close to spot on - Liverpool largely won through the discipline which accompanies experience and know-how (which is so insanely invaluable that it cannot ever be understated).

Strangely enough, it was a Liverpool win that made me feel more certain about where Chelsea currently are than about where Liverpool are. Really interesting game, tbh.
I think good takeaways for both teams yesterday. Chelsea definitely got their goal from noticing something LFC was doing. I also think Slot realized this after the goal and countered that which kind of nullified Chelsea a bit. Wasn’t a ton a danger after Chelsea scored. Slot, unlike Klopp, is able to tell his team to shut things down when there is danger. I think LFC beating Chelsea also made me feel better about getting something from Arsenal this week, but it’s obviously a tough fixture so who knows

Olise to Kamada might be an all time Premier League downgrade
Said it last year - Palace are only good when Eze AND Olise are healthy and on the pitch as the same time as each other. I gladly shorted them this season.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It was Suarez to Carroll and that’s the absolute winner lol
It wasn’t

Torres leaves January 2011. In that transfer window, Liverpool bought both Suarez and Carroll. Carroll leaves Liverpool in 2013 (after going on loan the previous season), a year prior to Suarez

Suarez’s replacement was Balotelli, equally hilarious

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It wasn’t

Torres leaves January 2011. In that transfer window, Liverpool bought both Suarez and Carroll. Carroll leaves Liverpool in 2013 (after going on loan the previous season), a year prior to Suarez

Suarez’s replacement was Balotelli, equally hilarious
I mean if you want to be technical about it, the first striker LFC brought in that summer was Rickie Lambert

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I mean, they bought a lot of players for that money, including Eriksen.

Lamela and Bale both played on the right, primarily.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Reactions: spintheblackcircle

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Apparently Arteta doesn't think Saka will be able to play this weekend. So no Odegaard, no Saliba, and no Saka. Lucky Liverpool does it again.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
0-0 and two hours of my life that I will never get back
If you guys can't score against the backline we're going to have to play, Slot should probably head back up to the Netherlands. At the moment it's looking like the only healthy senior defenders are Kiwior and Gabriel. And Lewis-Skelly, although he's not really a senior player or a defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad