GWT: EPL - Matchweek 36 (ft. MW 26)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Apart from securing a European place, does it matter where Chelsea finish? I think the issues are the same next season.

You’ve got a lot of talent there, but it still seems largely thrown together. I think they need a stronger manager than Pochettino (good luck finding him) who can come in and make the difficult decisions of who should really be there and who shouldn’t. Fortunately, Chelsea have some more talents who are out on loan. Still, they need to get the personnel down and decide how they’re going to play going forward.

They still have a few significant holes in their starting XI as well. I think they need a top drawer 9. You can recite Nkunku’s history and he’s had a helluva career so far, but do you really think he can lead the line and get Chelsea to where they want to go on his own? And if you’re looking at xG and wondering where they’ve gone, I would think you just have to look at Jackson.

Another issue is a real lack of senior professionals. You really have to wonder who is leading the locker room and a guy like Silva is probably gone this Summer. Don’t get me wrong, I have a feeling a couple of the younger guys are probably assuming this role to some degree, but I don’t think it’d hurt to bring in say two senior pros who have experience winning at a high level.

That leaves the elephant in the room which is the potential financial issues. If they can escape punishment the next 12 months, so be it, but I would imagine based on what I’ve read/heard it’ll hit them in the next 24 months. How that affects them is one thing, but I would also be concerned they might be left with some “toxic assets” if you will that may be difficult to offload.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Quite the caveat, especially from the financial side. Although I do recall there being some murmurs that Chelsea would reject a UECL spot.
it’s not so much Chelsea rejecting a spot. UEFA would kick them out of it because they have a higher bar on financial compliance than PL. Of course, Chelsea would be thrilled to be kicked out of UECL because they don’t give a shit about it. They’d be dancing in the streets. They’d wear that like a badge of honor. They are probably counting on it. Todd did the same thing with the Dodgers when they intentionally broke the international player signing rules because they knew the punishment was weak

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What does the UECL pay compared to Europa? Is there a similar drop from UEL to UECL as there is from CL to UEL?
According to Wikipedia, last season

UECL - Winner got 5 million Euros and (if necessary) Europa League spot

UEL - Winner got 8.6 million Euros and (if necessary) UCL spot

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I thought I remember a few years back when United won they got 15-20M or something. Maybe they updated how the media stuff works.
According to Wikipedia (on UECL)

“Similar to the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, the prize money received by the clubs is divided into fixed payments based on participation and results, and variable amounts that depend on the value of their TV market.”

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think that was a penalty but at the same time, it feels like a bit like Branthwaite dove a bit. And a lot of fans of other teams have new comparison bait

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think that was a penalty but at the same time, it feels like a bit like Branthwaite dove a bit. And a lot of fans of other teams have new comparison bait
Yea it was the type of thing that the PL frequently lets go on corners but Braithewaite obviously hammed it up to try to get the call and he ended up catching the defender going a bit further.

It's another case where the PL rewards players for throwing themselves to the ground dramatically. If he just stays on his feet and doesn't jump up in the air, I have no doubt that VAR quickly ignores it. Instead of giving the pen every time that happens, they only give it when players dramatically go down (and only then sometimes), so players are incentivized to keep doing it more.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Champions League Spots (4)
1. Arsenal - 80 (Confirmed)
2. Man City - 79 (Confirmed)
3. Liverpool - 75 (Confirmed)
4. Aston Villa - 67 (Magic Number: 6)
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 (Magic Number: 17)

Europa League Spots (1-2)
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 (Magic Number: 7)
6. Man United - 54 (Magic Number: 12)
7. Newcastle United - 53
8. Chelsea - 51
9. West Ham United - 49
10. Bournemouth - 48
11. Wolverhampton - 46
12. Brighton - 44

I think this is everyone that is in contention. 6th place will be Europa League if Man City wins the FA Cup or If United finishes 5th. 7th place will be Europa Conference League unless Man U wins the FA Cup and finishes 7th or worse.

Relegation
17. Nottingham Forest - 26 (Magic Number: 7)
18. Luton Town - 26
19. Burnley - 24
20. Sheffield United - 16 (Confirmed)
Updated again for relegation.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't think Luton is going to stay up, kudos to Man U for scoring more goals than them though.

Would be wild to see Burnley take the last spot on the final day and both Luton and Forest go down.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don't think Luton is going to stay up, kudos to Man U for scoring more goals than them though.

Would be wild to see Burnley take the last spot on the final day and both Luton and Forest go down.
It's not over yet. Don't count out the Hatters. I believe in Man Untied impotency.

I would love Luton or Burnley staying up

Reactions: Jovavic

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's not over yet. Don't count out the Hatters. I believe in Man Untied impotency.

I would love Luton or Burnley staying up
It's one of the worst year from promoted sides that I have witnessed all of them Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United were just terrible.
Lucky for them Notthingham Forrest have a stupid owner that cost them points for breaching the financial fairplay rules so that can give them some hope.

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
It's one of the worst year from promoted sides that I have witnessed all of them Luton, Burnley, Sheffield United were just terrible.
Lucky for them Notthingham Forrest have a stupid owner that cost them points for breaching the financial fairplay rules so that can give them some hope.

I would not put Luton in there even though they are in the relegation zone atm.. I think they have done more than expected. You always feel they will put up a fight against a superior opponent. While Sheffield and Burnley mostly have just rolled over and not even tried.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I would not put Luton in there even though they are in the relegation zone atm.. I think they have done more than expected. You always feel they will put up a fight against a superior opponent. While Sheffield and Burnley mostly have just rolled over and not even tried.
Luton have been entertaining, but still not good at all.

Its going to be, by far, the least points promoted sides have earned in a long time (unless I missed a year in a quick scan)

Reactions: gary69

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
There's that bum Saliba... just toying with Bournemouth's defender with better technique than most PL forwards lol

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Didn't even get called a foul though, let alone a yellow. Unless I just missed something.
I was half distracted getting breakfast for the kids so I didn’t see the result of it was a foul or not, but yea it was no yellow.

But VAR can’t give yellows so nothing for them to do.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

Refs letting our players get murdered the last few weeks, and then all we'll hear is "Saka limping again when he didn't score"

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't recall the Wolves one so can't say for sure, but it certainly looks red. The Jackson one should have been red as well.

Anyway, this game is basically an attack vs defense practice. Arsenal absolutely dominating the game and Bournemouth just trying to hang on.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Anyway, this game is basically an attack vs defense practice. Arsenal absolutely dominating the game and Bournemouth just trying to hang on.
Heard them say 96% possession a few minutes ago and we have 13 shots with 4 on goal. Need to put one in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad