GWT: EPL - Matchweek 36 (ft. MW 26)

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Dreadful performance today, if we lose the next three games (Liverpool, Burnley playing for their lives and City playing for the title) and/or we drop below United or Newcastle at the end of the year I'd like this team to give a go with a less naive coach.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I know chelsea have been short essentially 8+ players the entire season, but we were down 14 today.

Not a good look for Ange today.

Also Poch’s second half of the season here.. if we finish 6th or 7th, even though I’m not a fan of him, I think you have to let him stay. Especially if there isn’t an obvious upgrade

Reactions: Blender

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
this is the table since boxing day. chelsea are only two points back of villa and seven off liverpool having played a game fewer than both.

teampoints since boxing day
mci
42​
ars
40​
liv
33​
vil
28​
che
26​
tot
24​
new
24​
mun
23​
bou
23​
ful
22​
cry
22​
wol
21​
eve
18​
whu
16​
bre
16​
bha
14​
bur
13​
lut
10​
nfo
9​
shu
7​

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Chelsea going to have to sell Enzo this summer if this keeps up

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Champions League Spots (4)
1. Arsenal - 80 (Confirmed)
2. Man City - 79 (Confirmed)
3. Liverpool - 75 (Confirmed)
4. Aston Villa - 67 (Magic Number: 6)
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 (Magic Number: 17)

Europa League Spots (1-2)
5. Tottenham Hotspur - 60 (Magic Number: 7)
6. Man United - 54 (Magic Number: 12)
7. Newcastle United - 53
8. Chelsea - 51
9. West Ham United - 49
10. Bournemouth - 48
11. Wolverhampton - 46
12. Brighton - 44

I think this is everyone that is in contention. 6th place will be Europa League if Man City wins the FA Cup or If United finishes 5th. 7th place will be Europa Conference League unless Man U wins the FA Cup and finishes 7th or worse.
Updated numbers going into the weekend.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I know chelsea have been short essentially 8+ players the entire season, but we were down 14 today.

Not a good look for Ange today.

Also Poch’s second half of the season here.. if we finish 6th or 7th, even though I’m not a fan of him, I think you have to let him stay. Especially if there isn’t an obvious upgrade

Chelsea are still below-expectations in terms of standing but I think propping up these stats is doing the exact same thing as folks did with ManU last year (who actually finished third).

Chelsea looks like shit 85 percent of the time you actually watch them, regardless of result.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Chelsea are still below-expectations in terms of standing but I think propping up these stats is doing the exact same thing as folks did with ManU last year (who actually finished third).

Chelsea looks like shit 85 percent of the time you actually watch them, regardless of result.
Not as much so over the past few months.

And I agree to a certain extent re: the stats.

Playing like a bottom half table club with the injuries we had was still inexcusable imo.

Playing like a mid upper table team (5thish) with the injuries we’ve had in the new year + making the finals + a semi… like I don’t know how you could have had higher expectations.

My issue with poch is the way we’ve played in the latter stages is how he said we’d play all year. And when we faltered to start, he walked back all of his comments on how good we’d be, top four, winning is all that matters, etc.. I didn’t like that. Felt like comments someone out of his depth would make.

Meh

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not as much so over the past few months.

And I agree to a certain extent re: the stats.

Playing like a bottom half table club with the injuries we had was still inexcusable imo.

Playing like a mid upper table team (5thish) with the injuries we’ve had in the new year + making the finals + a semi… like I don’t know how you could have had higher expectations.

My issue with poch is the way we’ve played in the latter stages is how he said we’d play all year. And when we faltered to start, he walked back all of his comments on how good we’d be, top four, winning is all that matters, etc.. I didn’t like that. Felt like comments someone out of his depth would make.

Meh

I guess we'll see what they do next year but even recently they got drubbed 5-0 by Arsenal, tied Burnley who were down ten (lucky to get away with the point here, Burnley looked better, even at ten) needed a ten and ET to beat Leicester, tied Sheffield, etc.

They get a good result here and there (like today) but they also seem to me like the exact same club as they were early on in the year (albeit better than last year) and have way too many players who just aren't pulling their weight or justifying their price tag at all. I don't want to take away from Chelsea because he is their player after all and they went out and got him but I don't think there's been a player more influential relative to their squad as Cole Palmer has been. He's been a one-man wrecking crew at times. There's a lot of points in there that feel solely attributed to him in a similar fashion as Bruno Fernandes at ManU.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto

i mean like

there's not much in the way of propping up going on

before the season started i had us in 6th and we now look like we have a very solid chance of finishing 6th

no one is pretending we've been world-beaters, but also if you watch them week-in week-out (as i have the [dis]pleasure of) you'll find that what makes chelsea fascinating currently is that it's in fact not 85% of the time. they often play very well, and they often play like garbage. the beauty is you have no idea what to expect.

there's genuine progress being made, as insane and rocky and stupid as it's been. this isn't a case of United stealing very blatantly undeserved results, it's a case of a team choking better ones because they are dumb and annoying.

but very bluntly, this team has lost one time in the league since february 2. there is obviously progress being made, and that's not "stat propping"

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
i mean like

there's not much in the way of propping up going on

before the season started i had us in 6th and we now look like we have a very solid chance of finishing 6th

no one is pretending we've been world-beaters, but also if you watch them week-in week-out (as i have the [dis]pleasure of) you'll find that what makes chelsea fascinating currently is that it's in fact not 85% of the time. they often play very well, and they often play like garbage. the beauty is you have no idea what to expect.

there's genuine progress being made, as insane and rocky and stupid as it's been. this isn't a case of United stealing very blatantly undeserved results, it's a case of a team choking better ones because they are dumb and annoying.

but very bluntly, this team has lost one time in the league since february 2. there is obviously progress being made, and that's not "stat propping"

Since Feb 2nd, they've lost:

- Lost to Wolves
- Tied Brentford
- Struggled mightily to beat two Championship clubs
- Were lucky to tie ten-men Burnley
- Tied Sheffield
- Got drubbed 5-0 by Arsenal the instant Cole Palmer wasn't on the pitch and their manager openly asked them to show they weren't Cole Palmer FC

This is without mentioning how their manager has looked openly exasperated with them as recently as a couple weeks ago.

They drubbed Everton, came back from 2-0 to tie Aston Villa and beat Spurs as impressive results.

I'm sorry but I don't see what's so spectacular about this. Good for them that they look better than last year (pathetically low bar after all they spent) but I'm really going to have to see more until I remotely believe in them being a threat. As far as I'm concerned that squad is Cole Palmer and hanger-ons right now and they might lose Gallagher (easily their 2nd best player) to boot.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I guess we'll see what they do next year but even recently they got drubbed 5-0 by Arsenal, tied Burnley who were down ten (lucky to get away with the point here, Burnley looked better, even at ten) needed a ten and ET to beat Leicester, tied Sheffield, etc.

They get a good result here and there (like today) but they also seem to me like the exact same club as they were early on in the year (albeit better than last year) and have way too many players who just aren't pulling their weight or justifying their price tag at all. I don't want to take away from Chelsea because he is their player after all and they went out and got him but I don't think there's been a player more influential relative to their squad as Cole Palmer has been. He's been a one-man wrecking crew at times. There's a lot of points in there that feel solely attributed to him in a similar fashion as Bruno Fernandes at ManU.
I think the problem is that the midtable this year is soft. It's why United, Newcastle, Chelsea, and Tottenham are all around the same spot. I would also argue it's why Liverpool has done as well as they've done. They've feasted on the midtable while having a pretty poor record against top teams.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think the problem is that the midtable this year is soft. It's why United, Newcastle, Chelsea, and Tottenham are all around the same spot. I would also argue it's why Liverpool has done as well as they've done. They've feasted on the midtable while having a pretty poor record against top teams.

The EPL has not had a great year.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
LFC confirmed for UCL with the Tottenham loss
Thank you - I had already had them in in my head and didn't even think about it.

The EPL has not had a great year.
No, it really hasn't, although I still think the best talent all around is there. A lot of injuries hurts, but I also think there are too many matches and it's finally catching up.

Reactions: Savant

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Since Feb 2nd, they've lost:

- Lost to Wolves
- Tied Brentford
- Struggled mightily to beat two Championship clubs
- Were lucky to tie ten-men Burnley
- Tied Sheffield
- Got drubbed 5-0 by Arsenal the instant Cole Palmer wasn't on the pitch and their manager openly asked them to show they weren't Cole Palmer FC

This is without mentioning how their manager has looked openly exasperated with them as recently as a couple weeks ago.

They drubbed Everton, came back from 2-0 to tie Aston Villa and beat Spurs as impressive results.

I'm sorry but I don't see what's so spectacular about this. Good for them that they look better than last year (pathetically low bar after all they spent) but I'm really going to have to see more until I remotely believe in them being a threat. As far as I'm concerned that squad is Cole Palmer and hanger-ons right now and they might lose Gallagher (easily their 2nd best player) to boot.
i should've said february 4th, because i meant since the Wolves match.

i don't know in what universe "what's so spectacular about this" became the bar, because no chelsea fan has even begun to pretend there's anything spectacular going on here. like, engage honestly when you engage. "until i remotely believe in them being a threat" - who the f*** is calling them one? absolutely no one!

chelsea fans are saying "yknow what, there's progress going on in amongst the week-to-week noise of stupid results." something which is empirically true. toss the strawman out in the cornfield where it can distract some crows, because no one is saying this team is f***ing world beaters.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
i should've said february 4th, because i meant since the Wolves match.

i don't know in what universe "what's so spectacular about this" became the bar, because no chelsea fan has even begun to pretend there's anything spectacular going on here. like, engage honestly when you engage. "until i remotely believe in them being a threat" - who the f*** is calling them one? absolutely no one!

chelsea fans are saying "yknow what, there's progress going on in amongst the week-to-week noise of stupid results." something which is empirically true. toss the strawman out in the cornfield where it can distract some crows, because no one is saying this team is f***ing world beaters.

Let me rephrase it then - I still believe them to be mediocrity personified.

I'm not impressed by haven't lose since Feb 4th if it means that you needed 90+ minutes to beat two championship clubs and struggle to get ties against relegation level clubs. To me this is framing their 'run' with rose-colored glasses in the same way that looking at ManU third place finish last year and go 'great' to be farcical.

To me, there's been two great clubs this year - Arsenal and City. Two really good onea in Liverpool and Villa and then a bunch of crap.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Let me rephrase it then - I still believe them to be mediocrity personified.

I'm not impressed by haven't lose since Feb 4th if it means that you needed 90+ minutes to beat two championship clubs and struggle to get ties against relegation level clubs. To me this is framing their 'run' with rose-colored glasses in the same way that looking at ManU third place finish last year and go 'great' to be farcical.
it's contextualizing info. but i think, if this team finishes 6th (as was predicted pre-season by chelsea fans with no delusions of grandeur), they're lowkey value for it. they have probably been, overall, the 6th best team in the league this year (maybe 7th, below newcastle). no one is asking you to be impressed by it, no one is asking you to look at as an amazing run. but it's not rose coloured glasses to think - yeah, this team that creates lots of chances, ships lots of goals, and has had some stupid results is probably on the balance above average.

this chelsea is dumb. they are stupid and dumb. they struggle to beat a championship side in one cup competition and they outplay city (while still losing) in another. when they badly outplay teams (as they did against villa and newcastle) they still conspire to make it hard for themselves. and they end up with stupid f***ing draws against teams like burnley and sheffield united. NO ONE IS PRETENDING THIS TEAM IS GOOD. but the play is very self-evidently improving.

if there is anything to be said about the chelsea fans on this board, it's that we've been profoundly aware of how much this team blows

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
it's contextualizing info. but i think, if this team finishes 6th (as was predicted pre-season by chelsea fans with no delusions of grandeur), they're lowkey value for it. they have probably been, overall, the 6th best team in the league this year (maybe 7th, below newcastle). no one is asking you to be impressed by it, no one is asking you to look at as an amazing run. but it's not rose coloured glasses to think - yeah, this team that creates lots of chances, ships lots of goals, and has had some stupid results is probably on the balance above average.

this chelsea is dumb. they are stupid and dumb. they struggle to beat a championship side in one cup competition and they outplay city (while still losing) in another. when they badly outplay teams (as they did against villa and newcastle) they still conspire to make it hard for themselves. and they end up with stupid f***ing draws against teams like burnley and sheffield united. NO ONE IS PRETENDING THIS TEAM IS GOOD. but the play is very self-evidently improving.

if there is anything to be said about the chelsea fans on this board, it's that we've been profoundly aware of how much this team blows

I didn't say a single thing about Chelsea fans, either in England or on this board. I'm just being honest about what I think of the team (hell, I think that they have some great players that are prob being held back at this point!) and that this level of inconsistency to me leans more towards the negative than it does the positive. I just don't trust them and don't think they're going to even improve if they end up in such a rut that they have to sell Gallagher. I think the league has had a pretty bad year and that they might not even finish where they are currently next year.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I didn't say a single thing about Chelsea fans, either in England or on this board. I'm just being honest about what I think of the team (hell, I think that they have some great players that are prob being held back at this point!) and that this level of inconsistency to me leans more towards the negative than it does the positive. I just don't trust them and don't think they're going to even improve if they end up in such a rut that they have to sell Gallagher. I think the league has had a pretty bad year and that they might not even finish where they are currently next year.
i mean, when you're talking about posts about chelsea since the turn of the year having 'rose coloured glasses' and 'propping up these stats' you are in fact saying a thing about the chelsea fans posting them, lmao.

they will absolutely get worse if they have to sell gallagher, and there are players being held back (because the purchasing strategy was no strategy, it was shit at the wall). but the inconsistency week-to-week has been part of an overall softly upward trendline. no one is pretending this team is imminently challenging for top four. but it does this team a disservice to claim progress has not been made.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
i mean, when you're talking about posts about chelsea since the turn of the year having 'rose coloured glasses' and 'propping up these stats' you are in fact saying a thing about the chelsea fans posting them, lmao.

they will absolutely get worse if they have to sell gallagher, and there are players being held back (because the purchasing strategy was no strategy, it was shit at the wall). but the inconsistency week-to-week has been part of an overall softly upward trendline. no one is pretending this team is imminently challenging for top four. but it does this team a disservice to claim progress has not been made.

Alright if Chelsea finishes top 6 next year I'll become a Strasbourg fan

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
i will just add as an academic note, with the obvious caveats about the limitations of xg (and the affirmation that it's generally a pretty good stand-in for how a team is playing)

chelsea are 4th in the league xG table. united are 15th and west ham are 17th.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: