Confirmed with Link: Emberson elects arbitration UPD signs 1 year x $950k

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
It was hard to given he was injured 10 different times
Right. Which is one of the challenges in coming to a good deal with him for the coming year or two.

The other problem is that he was actually good much of the time when he did play. Maybe he's a 6/7 guy going forward, but if he can keep up that play and stay healthy, he could definitely have 2nd pairing potential. His performance last season was better than I'd expected, that's for sure, and he only recently turned 24.

Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Sign him for 1 years at $1.2M. Likely do something similar +20-50% the following year. If he proves to be a top 4 d-man and can stay healthy, he's 26 and RFA when eligible for his next sizable contract. If he's a proven top 4 guy you sign him for 4-6 years getting him for his prime. If he's a only a bottom pairing guy maybe you keep him, or if he remains injury prone you can replace with someone better/cheaper. Even so, 6'2 RHD and put up decent points (in limited showing) isn't the worse guy for your bottom pairing. However, his point production in the UNDP, Wisconsin, and the AHL doesn't make me think it's overly likely.

I'd love for him to become the next Jake Middleton, who's ended up being a pretty solid top 4 d-man. I'm not too optimistic, but if he were to develop into a 4/5 guy with size and a bit of offensive ability that'd be outstanding. Outside the smallish Polkamp, I have no hope for our RHD propsects making an impact for 3+ years. Even a top 4-10 pick drafted in 2025, is probably not an NHL regular until 2026-2027. Adding a top 4 trade/UFA (or two) will be important, but with minimal prospect depth, it'd be good if we could fill one of the top 3 RHD without paying assets.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
He’s letting his ego get in the way of his opportunity…
Literally not doing anything except exercising his CBA negotiated right and giving himself an ounce of leverage in negotiating a contract. It also is highly unlikely to get to an actual arbitration hearing either and a mere formality as he's not technically signed yet. Happens every year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What's the timeline look like for finalizing this?
Hearings are scheduled between July 20 and August 6. (Guessing schedule will be released soon)

Once hearing is held, arbitrator has 48 hours to write/file decision.

Teams have until hearing to negotiate deal outside of system. (Once hearing starts, it will be decided by arbitrator. )

There is a $$ (haven't heard it announced yet) at which point a team can walk away from arbitration decision (making player fre agent). However they can match any contract player negotiates up to 75% of arbitration decision.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Like I said, this was always a total non-issue and was never going to an arb hearing. Honestly wish that we'd have given him the Knyzhov deal at 2 years $1.2M just to shield him from a waiver claim if he's not fully ready to go to start the year after the injuries from last year.
still feels weird, its not enough money to care about, makes me wonder what the initial offer was.

• Wow

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Based on term and salary, looks like the theory that Grier put this to the backburner is true, and of course when the arb deadline came without a contract, Emberson had to file to preserve his rights, but then Grier turned his attention Emberson and got the deal done. Nothing to see here lol.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
$950K seems super cheap for a young RHD who didn’t totally drown in a terrible situation, but with only 30 career games played there wasn't much else his agent could have expected here
Yeah...the fact that the Sharks did this makes me think two things:

1) Sharks are suspicious about how good he is and don't want to commit to another year
2) Emberson is betting on himself, and for only one year this is all he could get

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah...the fact that the Sharks did this makes me think two things:

1) Sharks are suspicious about how good he is and don't want to commit to another year
2) Emberson is betting on himself, and for only one year this is all he could get
He's a Group 6 UFA if he does not eclipse 50 games this year as well. So gives him leverage to make sure he's in the lineup or he can leave and hit the open market after the season ends.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
He's a Group 6 UFA if he does not eclipse 50 games this year as well. So gives him leverage to make sure he's in the lineup or he can leave and hit the open market after the season ends.

Not that I’m saying you’re wrong, but if he can’t crack 50 games on this defensive corps, either by injury or by merit of his play, I’m not sure their will be much of a market for him.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Not that I’m saying you’re wrong, but if he can’t crack 50 games on this defensive corps, either by injury or by merit of his play, I’m not sure their will be much of a market for him.
He could play 40 and be really good. Take a puck to the face and be out for 20-30 games and then be a rush to get him his final 10. Crazier things have happened and that injury wouldn't really affect his value on the market because it's not a long-term injury or sign of being injury prone (just would be a flukey hockey deal).

Is that likely? Probably not. Is it possible? Absolutely. I think in the scenario we'd still re-up him before it got to 7/1 though. Just agent and player doing their diligence to give the most options, which is smart for a guy that was waived.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hopefully we can bring in Emberson's old defense partner at Wisconsin K'Andre Miller.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad