Ellis' number six raised to rafters by Windsor Spitfires

HometownHockey

Ellis' number six raised to rafters by Windsor Spitfires

Tonight, the Windsor Spitfires raised the number six worn by Ryan Ellis to the rafters - the greatest honour a player can receive from his former team. His numbers rank him as the all-time leading scoring amongst defencemen in Spitfire history. In his introduction tonight, he was described as being the most decorated rearguard to ever don a Windsor jersey.

160130_Ellis_L.jpg

READ MORE...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/HH0755.php

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sometimes I forget how many years Ellis has been in the league. Still think of him as that spunky 20yo.

Well deserved. Brought alot of joy to the city of Windsor with that run. It was a hell of a team. His last year for the spitfires was one for the ages.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If he was so great, what happened to him? Just not a great NHL translation? I mean I know he is a #3/4 guy in the NHL, but I haven't seen these amazing or even half amazing offensive numbers that the article speaks of.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Well it's tough to compare junior hockey to what the NHL has become in the last couple of years. Putting up 90+ point seasons doesn't necessarily lock you in as a top tier player in the NHL.

That last year in Windsor saw all the big boys leave in Taylor Hall, Henrique, etc. The offense was running through him. So we know it's not just a product of the team/environment. He's also got the size disadvantage right off the hop yet has fared well in terms of positioning.

I think the best has yet to come for him honestly. If he's a top 4 guy that can put up 30-35pts, I'll take that. Especially on his current contract.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If he was so great, what happened to him? Just not a great NHL translation? I mean I know he is a #3/4 guy in the NHL, but I haven't seen these amazing or even half amazing offensive numbers that the article speaks of.
At least he didn't flame out like another high scoring, smaller sized junior league defenseman we took high named Jon Blum.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm from Windsor so I have nothing but fond memories of Ellis. Well-deserved and glad to see him become an NHL defenseman after so many people wanted to write him off due to his size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad