Trades & Free Agency Thread: Off-season Edition

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
They aren’t getting a 1st rounder, a good prospect and a young D with top 4 upside for a player drafted one year ago who doesn’t appear to want to sign with them.

Him not wanting to sign is irrelevant when there are a ton of teams interested, you will need to win the bidding war. We’ll see!

The Jets are being offered better packages than that by opposing fanbases in the trade forum fwiw

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Rielly-Roy and Skjei-McCabe could be a nice top 4. Certainly better than anything we've had in a good long while.

Not sure how they fit Skjei's no doubt pricey contract without a Marner trade in place though.
I get we are the leafs, so we will be linked to everyone but being linked to DeBrusk/Joshua/Perron + two top 4 dmen. Makes me think reading between the lines Marner is gone

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I get we are the leafs, so we will be linked to everyone but being linked to DeBrusk/Joshua/Perron + two top 4 dmen. Makes me think reading between the lines Marner is gone
He'd have to be, for those additions to happen. No question... and the return on Marner would likely be picks, prospects, young ELC NHL players, or lower value contracts.... which has been my hope all along.

Reactions: aingefan

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I like it. Add Skinner to that list if he gets bought out, and we're really in the market for some quality depth pieces IMO. Not as scared of that Tanev deal as other here, but he needs to not be the only RD that's acquired. If he accompanies Roy, and we look at guys like McBain in trade and/or Dakota, we're in good shape.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
How could he give Tanev 5 years? Even 3 years is too high. Guys an injury prone warrior who puts in on the line every night. The fact his game has survived this long is shocking.

I hope he's looking more at Pesce and Roy on D along with another depth guy or two.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

The link

Are people seeing Tanev for 5 years somewhere lol?
I think the idea is that if they can't compete with other teams, they will attach another year. So if a team offers 4, Tre will go to 5 in order to land him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They aren’t getting a 1st rounder, a good prospect and a young D with top 4 upside for a player drafted one year ago who doesn’t appear to want to sign with them.

Liljegren don't have any upside of top 4 sorry...He's a depht D and will never be anything else.

He's worst than Grzelcyk, hague, Desharnais/broberg, deangelo who had been healthy scratch in playoff.

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan and ULF_55

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

The link

I think the idea is that if they can't compete with other teams, they will attach another year. So if a team offers 4, Tre will go to 5 in order to land him.

yes - and that the chances of him actually being a position to play those final couple years are so unlikely anyway, and because the window is essentially now, that it's not that impactful.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Assuming this is true, I am very disappointed that Tanev is "our top choice". Tre is giving me JFJ vibes with buying name brand vets way past their prime.
Tanev can easily becoming the new RH Ron Hainsey for leafs and get back a Hainsey for 2-3-4 years would be great for Toronto but that doesn't they will not look for an 2nd D to completr leafs top 4

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Him not wanting to sign is irrelevant when there are a ton of teams interested, you will need to win the bidding war. We’ll see!

The Jets are being offered better packages than that by opposing fanbases in the trade forum fwiw
What prospect-obsessed fans offer on a message board is irrelevent. We've seen time and again, that the values that people on these boards on players has nothing to do with reality. Teams realize that the kid can pick his spot, even if they trade a huge package for him. He can do the same to the team trading for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad