Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It’s not just defending, it’s the inability to critique or see anything negative in a particular player’s game which has been present for multiple stretches, and for multiple times in his career.

Also I’ve never suggested he “doesn’t care” or made knee jerk posts about trading him, but I have suggested that if his struggles continue it’s something that the team needs to at least explore.

Aren’t you a counsellor? Mr Wannabe psychologist? Go get your PH.D first before you start analyzing poster’s personal mental health from a message board. Stick to your “talk therapy”.
Yikes.

Yeah, clearly you're really content with your life when this is your response.

I am indeed a counsellor with a successful practice. You can try to be dismissive and suggest I'm a 'wannabe psychologist' without a PhD, but I am exactly where I want to be. Heck, maybe that's why I don't seethe and loathe the Canucks as they are a hobby I take joy from eh? You think maybe it might be reflected by how I interact with my hobbies?

And I'm not diagnosing anybody (nor can a counsellor do so). But it's not exactly like I'm reading tea leaves and saying, 'based on the red shirt you wore I'm guessing you fought with your mom a lot'.

It's literally, holy shit a lot of you are toxically negative about something that theoretically brings you joy. Like, nobody has to watch hockey or has to write on these forums, and yet so many posts are just full of vitriol that clearly goes far beyond 'the first four games haven't gone perfectly for my team'.

If that makes you feel personally called out, then genuinely consider doing an inventory on your life. It's apparent by your air quotes that you don't believe in talk therapy, but it helps millions and millions of people and is backed by science.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If I am not mistaken, @MarkusNaslund19 was a staunch defender of the Benning regime and also hated all the negativity at that time, so he really shouldn’t be an authority on any of this.
I wasn't a 'staunch defender', I merely believed in including context when people acted like he had done nothing good. Like that he managed to draft and trade for our entire core that everyone fell in love with last year.

Well, as someone who understands the sport and isn't shaking with seething rage every time things don't go my way, I could tell that the core of a good team existed there.

Did I think he was a good GM? No. At my most 'defensive' when he had a decent stretch from like the Petey draft until the middle of 2020 I merely said he had evolved into a mediocre GM whom I hoped we would get rid of, but knew Aquillini wouldn't get rid of him since it was clear that Benning's primary use was being a yes man and that the owner was the problem.

Reactions: F A N

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don't care if it sounds harsh. It's the truth.

These players are getting $50 million or $80 million contracts to play in the best league in the world. It's your f***ing job to show up and be prepared, no matter what your external distractions are. It's no different than getting 7 or 8 figures to be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company or be the lead actor in a Hollywood movie. If you are judged to be the best in your profession and given the massive responsibility and reward that comes with that, you'd better be able to tune out the distractions, show up, and do your job like a professional.

Most guys manage to do it. If you can't, it's a problem.

My mom and grandma were diagnosed with cancer in the same week in 2017. I didn't get to go into work and do a shit job for a year because I felt bad, and I'm sure as hell not getting paid $7 million.

Again, it's funny that the GM can call out Boeser for not competing during his 40-goal season but people calling out his lack of compete during 20-goal trainwreck seasons are somehow wrong.

Compete level was a problem for Boeser before his dad's condition deteriorated at the end. And it's been a problem again since.

And, as I've said repeatedly, of course I expect Pettersson will come out of this at some point. That doesn't mean that criticism of his play over this last 40 games, during which he was the biggest contributor to blowing our best playoff chance in over a decade, was 'wrong'.

I can't speak for everyone but I barely had a negative thing to say about anything for all of last season (or the Tocchet period of the season before). It was fantastic, until Pettersson pulled his disappearing act. And guess what? Pettersson's disappearing act is an actual major negative that merited negative comment.

You're acting like this guy has been a consistent gamer his whole career and that people are losing his shit because he had a bad 10 games. A guy playing this bad for this long at this salary is basically unprecedented, other than the other time he himself did it 3 years ago. Like, even Huberdeau hasn't had a 40-game segment this bad ... and how has Huberdeau been treated? Should his struggles just be totally ignored? Or does this only apply to Pettersson?
The first bit is toddler logic. "Man make more money, he become superman or he bad".

More money doesn't change the fundamentals of being a human being.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your mom and grandma and I hope they are okay, and I know people have to push through tragedy all of the time. But you weren't exactly trying to compete at something at a world class level with the eyes of millions on you and the fate of a billion dollar company resting on you either, were you?

The Boeser stuff is just again uncharacteristically unsubtle coming from you.
The difference between saying, 'yeah he got 40 goals, but he lost his edge a bit. We still believe he can be better', and "I don't care if he's watching his father waste away, he's trash and he doesn't care' is miles and miles away from each other.

And again with the weird hyperbole. Yeah, please compare him to Huberdeau who seems to have completely lost his game for 2 years. Huberdeau, over the last two years combined has literally less than half as many points as Petey does over the same span and Huberdeau isn't remotely as good of a two-way player.

Can you not see why you're rapidly burning through a lot of the credibility that you have literally spent more than 20 years building as a cerebral and nuanced poster?

I seriously don't understand the hate and seething rage on these boards. Like, to me I follow the game because I love the game, I follow the team because I love the team and have since I was a child. I'm happy with wins, and disappointed when we lose. Some players I love, and some I think we might be better off moving on from. But very very rarely do I HATE a player in the league, let alone on our team.

And yet it seems like so many people on these boards treat a player slumping the same way that they would if someone f***ed their girlfriend and killed their dog. I don't get it and find it exhausting.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yikes.

Yeah, clearly you're really content with your life when this is your response.
Yea, calling a spade a spade really shows how unhappy I am with my life. You sure nailed it!

I am indeed a counsellor with a successful practice. You can try to be dismissive and suggest I'm a 'wannabe psychologist' without a PhD, but I am exactly where I want to be. Heck, maybe that's why I don't seethe and loathe the Canucks as they are a hobby I take joy from eh? You think maybe it might be reflected by how I interact with my hobbies?

And I'm not diagnosing anybody (nor can a counsellor do so). But it's not exactly like I'm reading tea leaves and saying, 'based on the red shirt you wore I'm guessing you fought with your mom a lot'.

It's literally, holy shit a lot of you are toxically negative about something that theoretically brings you joy. Like, nobody has to watch hockey or has to write on these forums, and yet so many posts are just full of vitriol that clearly goes far beyond 'the first four games haven't gone perfectly for my team'.
I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m not “seething” or “full of vitriol” at all. I’ve just seen a continuous pattern of extended poor performance from the best player on the team and it’s genuinely frustrating to watch. This is a message board for discussion pertaining to the team and that is exactly what it’s used for, negative discussion included. A lot of people I assume use this site to vent their frustration with the team, and maybe you don’t see the need or reason for that, so maybe just ignore it?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
acting as if jt's body language for a few years wasn't horrific is revisionist as hell lmao

also one of these posts explains so much about a poster it's unbelievable never has anything made so much sense

miller's body language is still horrific it's just been recontextualized with his success as him being a passionate leader who wears his heart on his sleeve and leaves it all on the ice

when pettersson was successful people talked about how cerebral and even keeled he was and how he had icy determination. he acts exactly the same now but because he's not putting up points people read it as him being a sulky manchild who's bitter he's stuck in vancouver

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
miller's body language is still horrific it's just been recontextualized with his success as him being a passionate leader who wears his heart on his sleeve and leaves it all on the ice

when pettersson was successful people talked about how cerebral and even keeled he was and how he had icy determination. he acts exactly the same now but because he's not putting up points people read it as him being a sulky manchild who's bitter he's stuck in vancouver

"people" being 2-3 posters here who just plainly don't like him. Which is their right, he's definitely got some quirks, but psychologically it must be hard to dislike one of your team's star players so much. Also, pretty sad to use the worst of this market's toxic behaviour to justify your own.

Reactions: Rick Rocket

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
The apologists at this point are just defending their egos. It’s not even about the player being good or bad anymore.

Having said that, I’d give him till January, then we gotta seriously consider trade/buyout.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
That’s a greasy “gotcha” moment, man.
It’s not a gotcha moment. The poster in question used to complain that people were too negative during the Benning regime, a management team that was one of the worst of all time. So its worth noting that because it puts into perspective what this poster thinks is too negative.

And @MarkusNaslund19 , I’m not trying to attack you, and I’m sorry if I came off too harsh, but I really don’t think you should be complaining about people being too negative here. The criticism has almost all been warranted and is pretty reasoned. And outside of perhaps Bobby posters are discussing this in good faith.

Reactions: Coffee

Coffee

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
It’s not a gotcha moment. The poster in question used to complain that people were too negative during the Benning regime, a management team that was one of the worst of all time. So its worth noting that because it puts into perspective what this poster thinks is too negative.

And @MarkusNaslund19 , I’m not trying to attack you, and I’m sorry if I came off too harsh, but I really don’t think you should be complaining about people being too negative here. The criticism has almost all been warranted and is pretty reasoned. And outside of perhaps Bobby posters are discussing this in good faith.
Fair enough and admittedly it wasn’t even my place to comment, but thank you for the genuine response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad