Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. IX | The 6th rookie since 1967 to put up multiple 5P games

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
EP is a lot tougher than what folks have suggested... did you catch that push back off the wall on Dubinsky? Not expecting him to drop the gloves but his on ice awareness helps him respond to physical play.

since that hit from Matheson, Alien has adapted and is now even more aware of players coming at him. That Matheson hit may have elevated Pettersson to a higher level.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Home 12gms, 8g, 15pts
Away 15gms, 8g, 17pts

Days rest:
0: 2gms, 2pts
1: 17gms, 17pts
2: 5gms, 10pts
3+: 3gms, 3pts
Thanks. These are super interesting stat breakdowns. Still small sample size, but good to see he is still producing even on shorter rest. But man, those two day rests, let's have some more of those.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Thanks. These are super interesting stat breakdowns. Still small sample size, but good to see he is still producing even on shorter rest. But man, those two day rests, let's have some more of those.

27 gms played, scored a pt in 18 of them.
10 gms with a point
9 gms held pointless (reference with scoring leaders: McDavid 4, Rantanen 5, McKinnon 7, Kucherov 7, Marner 8, Point 11)
8 multi pt gms

Basically.... any way you slice... Kid is going pretty damn good.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
since that hit from Matheson, Alien has adapted and is now even more aware of players coming at him. That Matheson hit may have elevated Pettersson to a higher level.
Interesting observation...being more aware will absorb hits..but Matheson pulled out Kane's signature Chokeslam move so hard to account for that on the ice. ;-)

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
27 gms played, scored a pt in 18 of them.
10 gms with a point
9 gms held pointless (reference with scoring leaders: McDavid 4, Rantanen 5, McKinnon 7, Kucherov 7, Marner 8, Point 11)
8 multi pt gms

Basically.... any way you slice... Kid is going pretty damn good.
I can't help but point out how there were so many on this board saying he would be too small, the ice was smaller so less room, not strong enough etc...

It feels so damn good that this kid is vindicating those of us who knew he was the real deal.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I can't help but point out how there were so many on this board saying he would be too small, the ice was smaller so less room, not strong enough etc...

It feels so damn good that this kid is vindicating those of us who knew he was the real deal.
I think most people here believed in him all the way. Some just thought he'd need more time to adjust. That's the shocking part, how quick he has become a star player, nevermind adjusting to NHL speed and ice.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Speaking of Pettersson, I think it's appropriate around these christmas times for you to know a little bit extra about the Swedish culture Pettersson - and the other horde of Swedes - are coming from. Today is the 13th of december. That is a special day for Swedes, because they celebrate saint Lucia, that died on Sicily and originates from the Catholic church. And Swedes aren't even protestants, they're basically 90% atheists and agnostic atheists. Really strange, don't you think? But, when you look at the spectacle, you understand. At the darkest and coldest time of the year, listening to this, live... that's totally fine. It's a keeper in our culture. It's a nationwide event and every town and every school does this.

It even fits watching Pettersson highlights. On the 24th of december I will represent to you Swedish christmas songs, with traditional music.

edit: Don't even ask me about the occult clothing. It's not my religion, but they sing really well. And it really melds really well with the christmas spirit, even if I'm kind of sick by how commercialized it has become. This will still stick around though, for a looong time. You Canadians know how much winter can be unforgiving. You get some warmth and you preserve it.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Speaking of Pettersson, I think it's appropriate around these christmas times for you to know a little bit extra about the Swedish culture Pettersson - and the other horde of Swedes - are coming from. Today is the 13th of december. That is a special day for Swedes, because they celebrate saint Lucia, that died on Sicily and originates from the Catholic church. And Swedes aren't even protestants, they're basically 90% atheists and agnostic atheists. Really strange, don't you think? But, when you look at the spectacle, you understand. At the darkest and coldest time of the year, listening to this, live... that's totally fine. It's a keeper in our culture. It's a nationwide event and every town and every school does this.

It even fits watching Pettersson highlights. On the 24th of december I will represent to you Swedish christmas songs, with traditional music.

edit: Don't even ask me about the occult clothing. It's not my religion, but they sing really well. And it really melds really well with the christmas spirit, even if I'm kind of sick by how commercialized it has become. This will still stick around though, for a looong time. You Canadians know how much winter can be unforgiving.

Is Pettersson's water bottle filled with Julmust tonight?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Is Pettersson's water bottle filled with Julmust tonight?
Probably not, it's carbonated. But I'm pretty sure, if he's a traditionalist, that he at least gets some for the christmas dinner table. Swedes don't eat turkey on christmas as the main thing, we eat ham. And potatoes, sausage, meatballs, ribs, beetroot salad, herring in various kinds, it's a really simple meal, but varied. The tradition is the farm saved up to eat their stomachs full at least one day of the year at the darkest hour, so it's nothing extravagant of any kind.

I do like turkey though, kind of like fatter chicken, but that's something adapted from a tradition where you had turkeys available. Sweden grew up on potatoes (when they came available), pigs, cows and chicken.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Yeah, all those anti-Pettersson Canuck fans were insane. Thankfully the mods have completely erased every single piece of evidence that they ever existed.
"Never really thought Pettersson was good enough to be picked in the top-5 but I might be wrong. I just don't see him transitioning to the NHL with the same style of play and be a solid 1st liner."

"This hype is way too much, he's probably a 30 point center.. in the ECHL."

"Aside from a relatively small number of posters repeating themselves, their isn't much hype. Their is just hope.

Canuck fans are excited, but we aren't stupid. He has high end talent, but significant obstacles to overcome (size/strength issue, initial quickness, can he play in traffic, can his game translate to the North American style)."

On the first page alone in this link: C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Yeah there were a ton of doubters... go through the thread. It is an interesting read. Lots of supporters too, one guy criticized for saying he's a 90 point centre.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
"Never really thought Pettersson was good enough to be picked in the top-5 but I might be wrong. I just don't see him transitioning to the NHL with the same style of play and be a solid 1st liner."

"This hype is way too much, he's probably a 30 point center.. in the ECHL."

"Aside from a relatively small number of posters repeating themselves, their isn't much hype. Their is just hope.

Canuck fans are excited, but we aren't stupid. He has high end talent, but significant obstacles to overcome (size/strength issue, initial quickness, can he play in traffic, can his game translate to the North American style)."

On the first page alone in this link: C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Yeah there were a ton of doubters... go through the thread. It is an interesting read. Lots of supporters too, one guy criticized for saying he's a 90 point centre.

You are providing quotes without any links.

The only thing with a link to click (which I did), you will see that the "On the first page alone" are negative comments from Buffalo and Detroit fans. So sure. If you want to include trolls of other fan bases just throwing random negativity in threads as some major accomplishment to overcome then yes, Pettersson has vindicated himself against the standard internet trolls that every single player gets.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Has anyone seen that "McDavid just attacking" vid on Youtube? I love that stuff. A scoring play isn't automatically superior to a non-scoring play, yet most highlight vids tend to have exclusively the former. By season's end I'd like a similar compilation with EP just making cool plays, there's tons of them already.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Has anyone seen that "McDavid just attacking" vid on Youtube? I love that stuff. A scoring play isn't automatically superior to a non-scoring play, yet most highlight vids tend to have exclusively the former. By season's end I'd like a similar compilation with EP just making cool plays, there's tons of them already.
I've been trying to collect skill gifs, at least the ones people haven't watched a billion times already. It will only let me post 3 at a time though so hold on to your butts

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
HIs entry into the Nashville zone last night on the tying goal was AMAZING. One of the most Pettersson things he could have done. Didnt get a point on it but made that play possible

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
HIs entry into the Nashville zone last night on the tying goal was AMAZING. One of the most Pettersson things he could have done. Didnt get a point on it but made that play possible
Caught that too, his zone entries are even more amazing given he usually has 3 guys swarming him...draws them in and makes those passes opening up space for his wingers. Such an intelligent hockey player.

Reactions: Tv9924

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Yeah that was an absolute beauty. 40 seconds left, empty net, short handed, 20 yo (barely) Pettersson gets the puck, facing the wrong way, turns around and decides to take things into his on hands against a gathered Nashville defense... incredible

Last edited:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
In these last two games, I noticed Pettersson executing zone entries more than usual, he also is starting to hold the puck even longer.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
In these last two games, I noticed Pettersson executing zone entries more than usual, he also is starting to hold the puck even longer.

And he's shooting more now. He realizes that he can't be relying on others to score. Better to do it himself if he has the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad