Elden Ring - February 2022 (PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX ONE, XBOX SERIES S/X)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
So if I beat the entire game and never started New Game +, am I good to go for this expansion?
Assuming that save lets you go back to before the last boss then... probably?

As far as I know the only requirement is you have to be able to access the Mohg egg.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Assuming that save lets you go back to before the last boss then... probably?

As far as I know the only requirement is you have to be able to access the Mohg egg.
Mohg is one boss I don’t think I ever beat. I beat the one that was under the capital (I think?) but never the one that was supposed to be really difficult.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Level 149 in NG+, I could not beat Mohg without a summon. I used the big archer dude just to draw some attention away. It made it too easy, but I had beaten my head against a wall enough. I beat him in NG and it was definitely hard, but I'm a little worried about how hard the DLC is going to be in NG+. I either f***ed up going into NG+ or I have really lost my FromSoft reflexes after playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I have a test in a few weeks that I would really like to pass and I don't have a save file even remotely prepared so I dunno, might be a while.

Reactions: John Price

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
About 2 hours into the dlc and facing the first major boss and I’m feeling really sorry for the people playing this DLC in NG+ and higher.

I’m getting destroyed on NG. Can’t imagine what they’re going through.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I started NG+ (because I apparently did that on accident 2 years ago) and an crushing through these bosses to get to the DLC. I never fought Mohg the first time around but Ng+ makes it easy.

I don’t think I’ll be ready to get my shit kicked in by the DLC. My buddy said it’s pretty tough.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Fake gamers review bombing the DLC for being too hard. I thought Elden Ring saved videogames in 2022 but it was really just keeping it on life support. It’s over for gamers.

On a serious note, I don’t want to spoil, but I think these complaints are coming from people that are literally not reading. There’s a Sekiro style level up system in the DLC world separate from your characters level. You need to engage with this mechanic or you will get one or two shot by strong enemies even with 60 vigor.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Fake gamers review bombing the DLC for being too hard. I thought Elden Ring saved videogames in 2022 but it was really just keeping it on life support. It’s over for gamers.

On a serious note, I don’t want to spoil, but I think these complaints are coming from people that are literally not reading. There’s a Sekiro style level up system in the DLC world separate from your characters level. You need to engage with this mechanic or you will get one or two shot by strong enemies even with 60 vigor.
It’s pretty ridiculous. A bunch of people who rune farmed to level 200+ and are on NG++++…whining it’s too hard.

Your level doesn’t mean much to be honest. There’s certain attribute milestones to have like 40-60 vigor + specializing in 2-3 other things but other than that…learn the attack pattern, don’t get hit, hit when there’s openings.

I think there’s also a bunch of pathetic losers who belong to the “why can’t Elden Ring have a difficulty level for me” camp and are trashing the game

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
After a certain number of NG pluses, stats and levels don't really matter much in Elden Ring/Bloodborne/Souls games. Bosses hit so hard that it's really about how well you know the patterns to dodge and not how many hits you can take before dying as certain attacks just one shot your character.

So yes, i can very much believe that people are getting extremely frustrated that they are in NG plus 5 and having a hard time learning bosses patterns.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
The DLC currently sits at 62% positive reviews on Steam. There are definitely people who feel like they should be able to sleepwalk through the dlc because they grinded the base game but I think some just aren't happy with the technical state of the game. From hasn't fixed any of the issues the game launched with (shader compilation stutter, 60 fps cap, etc.) and the DLC also runs worse than the base game despite being more of the same.

The situation reminds me of Dragon's Dogma 2 earlier this year. Legit criticism mixed with some nonsense lol

Last edited:
Reactions: AirGut

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The performance issues are inexcusable. From needs to get better at the technical aspects of development, there's just too many problems: 60fps max, no ultrawide support, shader compilation stutter, poor RTX implementation. From Software aren't the plucky underdogs who shocked everyone with their first few souls titles anymore. They're a industry unto themselves now, they have the resources to solve these problems.

As far as the difficulty goes, I haven't played enough of the expansion yet to reach the "main" bosses. But based on what I've seen, I can see where people are coming from just in some of the side bosses and even a couple of the field enemies. I don't find their long combo chains to be a lot of fun to face-off against, and it sounds like there are a lot of those in this expansion.

The dungeons I've reached have been challenging in a good way and the level design is a step up from the base game. Same thing with the open world areas: they're smaller and more focused, have more verticality and look spectacular.

I like the scadutree fragments system they came up with to ensure that regardless of how much you've leveled up you'll still have to explore the new map to take on tougher challenges. I haven't tried bringing in a 200+ level character in yet. I started with a 120 level character which is a little below the recommendation, but I haven't hit a wall just yet.

Reactions: AirGut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad