Ekman-Larsson fined for interference

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Hopefully the league is finally just cracking down on these and OEL is the first example. There is a difference between a “true” reverse hit ala Forsberg and straight up interference. It’s not even clear that Guentzel was even going to initiate contact and OEL didn’t have full possession of the puck.

Dahlin had a similar hit on Hischier a few years back. It looks like Hischier was going for a poke check and Dahlin throws himself backwards towards a defenseless Hischier.

It’s a dangerous play

It isn't. It never, ever is. There is one team in this league that pays the price for it.

Reactions: OddyOh

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Yea, continue with the woe is me, league is out to get us BS. It looks so good on us!
I couldn't give two flying f***s how it looks on us. You think people are going to change their perception of the Leafs or their fans? Give over.

I've never, ever said the League is out to get us. I don't believe they are at all. And I've made it perfectly clear many times before.

I think it is one person. Unfortunately, that guy is the head of DoPs.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Metroid

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ehh... that gets fined, and the textbook elbow that broke JEE's nose doesn't get a thing?

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Anybody want to still argue Parros treats Toronto differently?

FWIW, this didn't receive a penalty, but it did get a $5000 fine.

What say you OP? Someone has posted a nearly identical play from one of the Leafs’ rivals, who received an identical fine.

Maybe you disagree with the call, but it appears there is precedent here with other teams besides Toronto.

Reactions: uncleben

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Hopefully the league is finally just cracking down on these and OEL is the first example. There is a difference between a “true” reverse hit ala Forsberg and straight up interference. It’s not even clear that Guentzel was even going to initiate contact and OEL didn’t have full possession of the puck.

Dahlin had a similar hit on Hischier a few years back. It looks like Hischier was going for a poke check and Dahlin throws himself backwards towards a defenseless Hischier.

It’s a dangerous play

If that's the case I have no issue with it, but typically if they're cracking down on something like this then a mandate goes out and the analysts/broadcasters discuss it... so I don't really have too much faith that they've decided to crack down on the play league wide without telling anybody.

Reactions: Metroid

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What say you OP? Someone has posted a nearly identical play from one of the Leafs’ rivals, who received an identical fine.

Maybe you disagree with the call, but it appears there is precedent here with other teams besides Toronto.
It's not really a precedent though when that was 2 years ago, and they've inconsistently not called any other check like this in the time between these two fines

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
As a Canadian it's sad that my country has some of the whiniest fanbases. They have huge fanbases but decide that everyone is out to get them and they are being treated unfairly

Crow

May 19, 2014
Looks like he might have jumped into the hit and made contact with his shoulder to the other players head but it’s hard to tell from the video I watched.

If that’s the case why is a fine so wrong here?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Neither player had the puck and OEL didn't even make an attempt to play it.

OEL is lucky he didn't catch another fine for embellishment on that other play.

Dude is embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I wonder if it's because Ekman Larsson didn't play or have control of the puck? Otherwise it should probably just be 2 mins... Not sure how he's fined for this.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Bit of a cheap shot there ... not surprised it got a 5k fine
I guess I didn't really word my comment well... I should have said, I'm surprised DoPS actually fined him, not surprised that the fine was warranted.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
A reverse hit when you're facing the boards is a garbage play because the guy coming in can't hit you or it would be hitting from behind, so he's not really prepared for contact.

A reverse hit in open ice is fine since theoretically everyone should be prepared for contact.

This wasn't a reverse hit, it was just routine interference. Not entirely surprised it was a fine with the way Guentzel threw his head back.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
A reverse hit when you're facing the boards is a garbage play because the guy coming in can't hit you or it would be hitting from behind, so he's not really prepared for contact.

A reverse hit in open ice is fine since theoretically everyone should be prepared for contact.

This wasn't a reverse hit, it was just routine interference. Not entirely surprised it was a fine with the way Guentzel threw his head back.
You should work in politics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad