Ekman-Larsson fined for interference

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Parros actually hates the leafs its so funny :laugh:. No way is that fine worthy, Penalty? Sure

I almost think he wanted to suspend OEL but DOPS went "nah listen thats gonna make it too obvious" LMAO

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I can see it being an interference penalty for sure but… Parros hates the leafs, and will inflict punishment any chance he can. His track record has proved this many times.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Parros actually hates the leafs its so funny :laugh:. No way is that fine worthy, Penalty? Sure

I almost think he wanted to suspend OEL but DOPS went "nah listen thats gonna make it too obvious" LMAO
I'm shocked he didn't get a suspension. George absolutely had to have been pushing for it.

You have a lot of Leaf hate in you. Promise me you'll take up a healthier past-time.
He's on the shortlist for the Head of DoPs position once George calls it a day.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Very clear interference and the “fine” is absolutely nothing. Some Leafs fans…lol
One issue (I'm guessing) at least as far as OEL goes is that now he has no wiggle room before getting suspended if something similar happens, whether intentional or not. And that's on top of the obvious issue that these decisions have no rhyme or reason to who gets punished or not.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I'm gonna keep rehashing this play until the heat death of the universe because it keeps being relevant how absolutely dice-roll-random reactions to these no-touch reverse hits are

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
It was a bit of cheapshot. He pays the bit of a cheapshot price.

vrsjs0d.gif

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Just saying, Toronto steps a toe out of line they hear something. There are clips of players do things to us our guys got suspended for. There is history of unprecedented suspensions involving Toronto players in the last few years.

People say the Leafs are soft and don't know how to play tough so they get dirty. Ok might hold up until you see the Panthers play the exact same way or the Bruins of a few years ago and what they get away with...

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Very clear interference and the “fine” is absolutely nothing. Some Leafs fans…lol
I don't think anybody has an issue with the fine amount.

More annoyed that there are plenty of similar plays where no fine was given and technically fines go on your record and are considered as "history" when determining future suspension lengths.

I'm not one for conspiracies, but the Leafs lead in suspensions during Paros tenure with 10 and I believe there has only been 2 incident against the Leafs (hard to fact check, but i think Tkachuk in 2017 and Wilson last year) that has resulted in a suspension despite being near the bottom of the league in penalty minutes which you would think has at least a little bit of correlation... Just a weird stat and combined with Riellys suspension being leaked it is some cause for concen.

If I had to guess though, I wouldnt necessarily state there's a vendetta as much as I think Parros isn't doing a great job league wide (and maybe has a slight bias towards the Leafs).

As for the fine amount, I do think it's silly that the limit is 5k. For reference, a 1 game suspension for a repeat offender (not sure if this includes player with fine history or not) would cost a league min player ~10k while costing Matthews 200k. It seems the fine is set-up to account for the league min players receiving fines (1/2 the monetary value of missing 1 game) and not the big earners. Even just making it cap at .05% of their salary makes more sense (~4k for league min and ~85k for Matthews).

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I said it in the GDT last night, there was no way George was going to let OEL get away with that. He's new in Toronto and needs to know how things work around these parts.

OEL will learn that physicality has a price to pay round here and eventually he'll be labeled as another soft player.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I don't think anybody has an issue with the fine amount.

More annoyed that there are plenty of similar plays where no fine was given and technically fines go on your record and are considered as "history" when determining future suspension lengths.

I'm not one for conspiracies, but the Leafs lead in suspensions during Paros tenure with 10 and I believe there has only been 2 incident against the Leafs (hard to fact check, but i think Tkachuk in 2017 and Wilson last year) that has resulted in a suspension despite being near the bottom of the league in penalty minutes which you would think has at least a little bit of correlation... Just a weird stat and combined with Riellys suspension being leaked it is some cause for concen.

If I had to guess though, I wouldnt necessarily state there's a vendetta as much as I think Parros isn't doing a great job league wide (and maybe has a slight bias towards the Leafs).

As for the fine amount, I do think it's silly that the limit is 5k. For reference, a 1 game suspension for a repeat offender (not sure if this includes player with fine history or not) would cost a league min player ~10k while costing Matthews 200k. It seems the fine is set-up to account for the league min players receiving fines (1/2 the monetary value of missing 1 game) and not the big earners. Even just making it cap at .05% of their salary makes more sense (~4k for league min and ~85k for Matthews).

Hopefully the league is finally just cracking down on these and OEL is the first example. There is a difference between a “true” reverse hit ala Forsberg and straight up interference. It’s not even clear that Guentzel was even going to initiate contact and OEL didn’t have full possession of the puck.

Dahlin had a similar hit on Hischier a few years back. It looks like Hischier was going for a poke check and Dahlin throws himself backwards towards a defenseless Hischier.

It’s a dangerous play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad